Ashy Taste

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverFox

Member
Member
#1
I noticed the other night that I had a slight ashy taste in my pipe on the 3rd bowl that was smoked.

I had smoked one the day before and two bowls that evening.

Is this normal?

Is there a way to prevent it?

I searched but didn't find a thread or answer if this has been covered I apologize.
 

Sasquatch

Wizzard
Member
#4
Do you have pipe cleaners yet?

Pipe maintenance is absolutely critical for good taste. If I had to smoke dirty pipes, I wouldn't smoke.
 

SilverFox

Member
Member
#7
Sasquatch said:
Do you have pipe cleaners yet?

Pipe maintenance is absolutely critical for good taste. If I had to smoke dirty pipes, I wouldn't smoke.
Used some kids pipe cleaners.................not perfect but my others won't be in till this week but better than nothing.

Helped out already.

And I agree a dirty pipe.............blech.
 

jamie7

Member
Member
#8
could also be that loose ash is making it's way down to the draught hole. Before you do any major tamp try stirring the light, loose ash and dumping it -then tamp (and relight).


If the taste is just ashy that's likely it, but if the taste is foul and funky it's time to clean and rest the pipe. Pick up a couple of MM cobs - great smokers for home or car.

Good Luck
 

jamie7

Member
Member
#10
Hi Moo,


I used to get that in almost every bowl when I started out. That's why I thought of posting that for silver fox - I remember it being very annoying.
I don't know what changed - maybe packing method improved or something. Being a late comer to burleys I'll keep an eye on them based on your experience - thanks. I'm liking the burleys alot right now.
 

SilverFox

Member
Member
#11
jamie7 said:
could also be that loose ash is making it's way down to the draught hole. Before you do any major tamp try stirring the light, loose ash and dumping it -then tamp (and relight).


If the taste is just ashy that's likely it, but if the taste is foul and funky it's time to clean and rest the pipe. Pick up a couple of MM cobs - great smokers for home or car.

Good Luck

Hmmmm

I think I will give this a whirl if I come across that problem again.

I am thinking it might just be that Brigham Mixture.

I do have some cobs inbound........my patience is horrible. I should have paid for instant shipping :)
 

Mister Moo

Gone but not forgotten
Staff member
Member
#12
jamie7 said:
Hi Moo,


I used to get that in almost every bowl when I started out. That's why I thought of posting that for silver fox - I remember it being very annoying.
I don't know what changed - maybe packing method improved or something. Being a late comer to burleys I'll keep an eye on them based on your experience - thanks. I'm liking the burleys alot right now.
I smoke several burley blends but only experienced the ashy thing with PA (a few times - not always). Never figured out what causes it.
 

Cobra

Member
Member
#13
Mister Moo said:
I smoke several burley blends but only experienced the ashy thing with PA (a few times - not always). Never figured out what causes it.
I'm guessing here in his case but maybe the tobacco is too dried out. That's why I stopped drying tobacco out.
 

SilverFox

Member
Member
#14
I don't know which is was but a combination of cleaning out the pipe and stirring off the top ash and dumping seems to have gotten the ashy taste out of my pipe.

At the moment I have to use the kids craft pipe cleaners but better that then nothing.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.