1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Asp/tinsky Bent Dublin

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Mister Moo, Mar 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Three things I don't much like in a pipe -

1. Overly wide opening at chamber top - can be hard to get lit
    2. Half- or more bent - can be irksome to pass a pipecleaner
    3. Overly deep bowls - can be hard to smoke to the bottom

[​IMG]

I won this 1986 ASP dublin on ebay many years ago and felt like I overpaid at $80 after I got it. It was a bitch to light it complete and even across the top, it took a lot of fiddling to get a pipecleaner through it and usually there was a soggy wad of dottle left and the bottom of the deep, conical bowl. The pipe sat a lot.

Lately I started smoking flake in it and, what can I say - "It was a poor workman who blamed his tools?" A smokers experience says at least as much about pipe quality as does briar quality, geometry and the makers workmanship, I guess. This dublin is a killer. I felt like mentioning it, not as an advertisement for Mark Tinsky, but as a comment on how dramatically things improve as you develop good gauges for tobacco moisture, good rubbing out- and pipefilling techniques and a sense of when to puff, pause, tamp and swab. This pipe, by the way, has knocked my socks off with Pete University Flake, some thing I was about to give up on a month or two back. This lightweight pipe has a gentle ring blast, easy on the hand and eye and, for some reason stays lit longer as a smoke progresses, often, to ash at the bottom... shrug.

2. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Well said, Moo, and a good lesson for all to remember.

3. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

give ya 85 :)

4. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

I thought you don't do "bents"!!

5. Mister Moo

I definitely lean to straight pipes, Rugs, but I do have some bents in the stable. None are full bent except the meerschaum calabash. The rest are half- or less bent. This Tinsky, by the way, takes a pipecleaner with a tiny pre-bend on one end and a 45* anti-clockwise twist when it's halfway down the stem. It also hangs nicely from a light clench.

6. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

Moo that was actually ment for Dub. At the NY show this past weekend he told me he really doesn't like bent pipes so I was just screwing with him a little. My tastes are pretty similar to yours though. I seem to be leaning back towards straights and a 1/2 bent is probably as far as I'd go.

7. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

its barely bent, and i like the full round dublins enough to pretend its straight.

8. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

It's like one of my Autographs only it's bent less but the bowl characteristics are the same.Oddly I've also found Pete UF works with this pipe.

9. Mister Moo

It's kinda like another story but I would have written off PUFlake after one tin but not for ATLHARP. So, late in the first tin it finally got interesting then I got another tin from a member here. That tin was open a month before I really got into it and, OK - it was pretty good. The big "however" - it is WAY better out this Tinsky dublin than any of the other three usual pipe suspects I tried. Huge difference.

10. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Ain't this hobby cool?..............

11. Philthy

Philthy Member

I sure havent figured it out yet :D I honestly could not put into words why I dig it, but I definitely do.

12. cst

cst Member

That is a fine example of my favorite shape. I'm going to have to get one. OH, and University Flake is pretty good stuff after all isn't it? :unsure:

13. piper965

piper965 Member

Funny, that pretty much describes the perfect pipe for me! :lol:

14. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

That is a horrible excuse for a pipe. You need to send it to me at once for disposal. I won't charge you a thing.

15. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

LOL No doubt.

Experience goes a LONG way, and I would say there are very few real dogs on the market in terms of pipes (especially ASPs), but a lot of things come down to preference and smoking style. And of course, when you hit on the tobacco that a pipe seems to handle real well, it's like night and day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.