1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Astley's Pipes

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Stonewall, Apr 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I've been doing a little reading about Astley's of London and how reputable a Tobacconists House they were at one time, even exclusive in their offerings.

Does anyone here have an Astley's Pipe? If so, how do they smoke, what are any thoughts or opinions on them or Astley's in general.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

2. Doug McCoy

Doug McCoy Member

Stonewall, unfortunately the Astley pipe is no longer made, there are some to be found that are new, old stock on the net through a couple of places. In their hayday, Astleys were contracted to be made by such prestigious firms as Charatan, James Upshall and Comoy's , the last batches were carved by Upshall, I have encountered many through the years that have come through the shop and all were well made and smoked well as one might expect from the pedigree they hailed from. When they can be found at a good price, they are certainly worth having!

dBear and Stonewall like this.
  3. Terry292

Terry292 Member

What he said.

Stonewall likes this.
  4. deyo67

deyo67 Member

I have an Astleys Bulldog Pipe #109 German St., with a 16 on the other side of shank, and an A on the stem. that I bought over a year ago as an estate pipe from a Tobacconist in Alberta Canada. It cost around $100,00 then. Smokes well, looks nice.
    I will see if I can get a photo of it on here. Never uploaded a pic here yet, so we shall see.

dBear and Stonewall like this.
  5. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Well I suppose Astley's was in its day the quintessential English B&M. It was really interesting reading about all that history on Jermyn Street. And really amazing that so many tallented carvers helped to create all those great pipes that came out of that shop. I have one (Tudor Rose) that was most likely made by James Upshall due to its shape and age. I never really thought much about it until I was shuffling through a box of pipes.

I wish I could have seen it in its glory days.

6. cigrmaster

cigrmaster Member

Some Astley pipes were also made by Dunhill and I own one of those. It is a nice pipe and for the money I paid( 125.00) it was a good value. There is a seller on ebay named jamesupshallcompany who now owns the Astley name I believe. He is the owner of the James Upshall company and he lists Astleys on a regular basis and tells you who made the pipe, i.e Dunhill or Upshall or Charatan. He does not clean his pipes that well so you will have to clean the shank and stem usually and it can take time to get to you from the UK.

Stonewall likes this.
  7. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

Stonewall likes this.
  8. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

As a young man (back in the sixties) I would visit London regularly (now I stay well away from it!) and of course the Jermine Street area with it's multitude of pipe and tobacco shops was a big attraction, alas they have all given way to boutiques and high class gentleman's outfitters now. I only ever bought one pipe from Astley's - still have it, but a visit was mandatory, and apart from briars - the main thing that fascinated me was a window display of the most exquisite meerschaums -some dating from the nineteenth century Vienese masters. I go to Turkey each year, and see some wonderful pipes, but nothing rivals my memory of Astleys collection!. I posted some time ago about the time I visited London to see the Buddy Rich band at Ronnie Scott's Jazz club, and managed to scrape the cash together for my only Astley briar.
    OT

9. Marker

Marker Active Member

They are never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and desert you.

Stonewall and Mount Mandolin like this.
  10. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

strange! they never told me that when I bought mine:confused:
    OT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.