AUSTRALIAN RULES

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by MacNutz, Jan 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

I am about to send some SWR, Erinmore Flake, and a couple of samples to a friend in Australia. I've never sent anything there before and wonder if there is anything about Australian laws, customs, etc. that I should know before sending. In Canada, customs should allow 250 grms or less through without the financial hit. I wonder what the laws concerning small personal imports of tobacco are in Australia, so I can save my friend money at his end.

browny likes this.

2. sillyoldbear

sillyoldbear Active Member

Rules are that it's $550.00 p/kg incl of GST no matter the quantity, the reality is that the vast majority of tobacco packages get through unmolested, except cigs, they seem to be on top of those at the moment, so don't even bother.

Just throw it in an actual tin and write 'advertising/display tins' or similar in the description.

SimonR and Husayn like this.
  3. Hawkwood

Hawkwood Member

Baggies in a padded envelope.

4. SimonR

SimonR Member

I'm averaging paying duty on about one in 10 orders from smoking pipes. I keep orders to what I can afford the duty on. I'll add that even paying duty is cheaper than buying at a B&M.

browny and Husayn like this.
  5. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

Thanks. Same for me here in Canukia. even with customs it is cheaper than local B&M shops because the Canadian mark up on everything is very high.
    In Canada, 250 grams is allowable before the tax hit. What about Australia??

6. sillyoldbear

As I said earlier none. 50g is the limit for international passengers but for imports it applies to 2g or 200g.

7. SimonR

SimonR Member

Bear is correct, the magic number is none ...

8. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

Dang, sorry I missed that man. Your original communication was abundantly clear but I missed it. I'm on some pretty heavy pain meds right now that have obliterated short term memory. I probably read your first post and instantly forgot about it. I've taken to carrying a note pad around to keep track of what I've done and must do yet. It's why I can't write when the pain is serious, if it is bad enough to take the damned pain stuff, a big part of my brain takes a vacation. Some aspects of this aging thing are very undesirable.

9. SimonR

SimonR Member

Hey MacNutz, where about does your friend live? Maybe I can send him some samples on your behalf and take the customs equation out of it for you?

browny, MacNutz and sillyoldbear like this.
  10. sillyoldbear

That sucks to hear, is all well or is it just general stuff?

browny, MacNutz and SimonR like this.
  11. sillyoldbear

Me too, hell get him on the forums, we'd love some new Aussie blood and we're always trading samples.

browny, Husayn and SimonR like this.
  12. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

it is an on going chronic thing that is always there but not always painful or debilitating.

13. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

That is generous of you but I want to send him the stuff. the ruralhipster sent me something to include in the care package. Most generous of him. I might use this post to entice him to join the forum. I want to help him get more enjoyment out of his pipe. The other archaeologists will be jealous.:)

browny likes this.
  14. SimonR

SimonR Member

Sounds like a plan!

15. Pipedan

Pipedan Member

I keep my parcels from the USA to Au bellow 50g and only had 1 out of 20 tins checked by customs and didn't have to pay duty.

16. SimonR

SimonR Member

Hey PD, does that mean you buy locally? A single tin plus shipping works out to be pretty expensive ...

17. Pipedan

Pipedan Member

G'Day Simon Still cheaper then buying in Australia if using standard post.

18. SimonR

SimonR Member

(I'm in Brisbane!) I know I'm derailing this thread a little ... Sorry about that. I order from smoking pipes, 250g or less at a time, out of 12-14 orders I've only been pinging by customs once, and that's when I did an order closer to 500g.

We've got a little party of Aussies going on over here: https://pipesmokersforum.com/community/threads/aussie-tobacco-trades.32565/

browny likes this.
  19. browny

browny Member

Have they changed it again? Last report I read it was 50g limit period it was at the time too much political hassle hitting residents harder than visitors.

I aim at 250g for my maximum but try keeping closer to 200g and although it's only 4 OS orders so far I've had not a single issue yet from customs.
    I guess if you keep it small it has less chance of getting snagged.

Also if you want no hassles for your friend then don't lie on the decleration as if it's a false decleration and customs snag it we get in trouble and fined further on top for false/misleading information. A simple *gift* should do the trick.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
    MacNutz likes this.
  20. sillyoldbear

No it's still 50g, but that only applies when you bring it into the country, not when you import it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.