1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Aztec pipe query

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by browny, Oct 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. browny

browny Member

My lovely missus feels my pain of just 2 pipes and decided she couldn't resist a $20 Aztec pipe, it's a new pipe recent made etc etc. After all my searching since Friday last week I can't find any information on them.

I have 2 questions for anyone who may be able to help me out here....
    1> What type of wood are they made from.
    2> What the heck is the 'rattle' in the stem actually for other than stopping a pipe cleaner getting through.

I don't want to smoke it until I find out some information on it.

2. OldSouled65

OldSouled65 Member

The rattle is a permanent filter most likely. Check it.

3. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Pics would help...

OldSouled65 likes this.
  4. browny

browny Member

Sorry I forgot to mention the draw is fine (a lot easier without the stem mind you, huge draw in fact) the rattle seems to be a ball bearing or something as OldSouled65 said possibly a type of filter, you can see a hint of silver when looking into the stem.
    I like to clean my pipe as soon as I've finished a bowl so this is not on my favoured option I might look at how I can remove it.

I will gets pics up tomorrow of the pipe but I doubt I will be able to get a pic down the stem as I don't have a decent camera just a generic 'point and shoot'
    Until then....cheers fellas

5. browny

browny Member

Quick update is no pictures since the sd card isn't co-operating with my laptop......

I have had a positive though, the 'filter' has been set free, it was actually a bullet shaped piece of plastic but I have removed it and now it passes a cleaner easily and I christened it just a few hrs ago. I would still like to see if anyone has any information on them and will still get a picture up when I can sort my laptop's issue.

6. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Hi Browny...
    Sounds like a gimmick pipe or some made-for-the-tourist-market pipe. I can't find anything on the maker, so have no idea if it's briar....or balsa wood......sorry!
    Hey....the bride thought enough to go out and buy you a new pipe....many of the guys here aren't that blessed. Give her a big hug and kiss....then gently...over time...educate her on how to identify quality pipes. Show her pictures...talk about brands and makers...get her involved WITH YOU in deciding on the NEXT purchase......it worked for me many years ago. My wife is nearly as knowledgeable about pipes and tobacco as I am...and has bought a number of my favorite pipes for me.

Thank your stars, my friend....your lady is a keeper! Any gal who will put up with this madness has to be special..............

Raffxr7, Old Codger, Arkie and 2 others like this.
  7. PipeLotus

PipeLotus Member

I think I have a vague idea of what you are talking about, but really, there is nothing we can do without some sort of picture. Even a google picture of something similair would help immensly.

+1 on the amazing missus

browny likes this.
  8. browny

browny Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pic's as promised since everything is working harmoniously again, first pic' is to try and show the name stamp and the second pic' is comparison with my Barling.
    I can't say what the wood is but with stem removed it's light in colour and the pipe is lite to hold (but it cetainly isn't balsa....not quite that lite and I tried the push with a pen test lol)

*sorry about the size guess I should've shrunk them a little

Old Codger likes this.
  9. cmatsangos

cmatsangos Member

10. Skiballa

Skiballa Member

Wow, the "Cigar News" on the right of the page is depressing, stay strong Aussie brothers!

browny likes this.
  11. cmatsangos

cmatsangos Member

Holly ..... I hadn't noticed that....

Then you have people rambling on about democracy and human rights and all that bunch of cr@p. What about OUR rights as smokers????
    Man this is depressing, having every little dictator/bureaucrat telling us how to live our lives.

browny likes this.
  12. PipeLotus

PipeLotus Member

True, but I think that is a discussion for another thread. ;)

In regards to the Aztec, I have never seen one before. Any chance of a picture of this 'rattle' you mention? Is it like a 'screw' or is it an actual rattling thingamobob. I've heard of 'rattles' in pipes as semi-permanent filters of a sort. Or is it like a 'stinger'?

13. browny

browny Member

Sorry as I said earlier I removed it and it was a little piece of plastic shaped like a bullet almost, it was thoughtfully relocated to the safety of the kitchen filing system.

As for the politics discussed yeah not a happy state but very true it's for another conversation :cool:
    Ultimately it sure isn't the quality of my Barling but it still smokes fine, it has a place (and that's definitely below my 2 better quality pipes) I'm currently using it for the 3 samples my freakin' awesome missus brought home from work yesterday :byg: not sure I can give reviews like most here but I'll certainly give it a go, for the pipe and the sampler's.
    The missus also had a read of this thread and thanks for your comments t-bear she agreed it would be a good idea lol worked like a charm.

To finish back on topic, the pipe seems to be certainly a cheaper version but it is definitely still a usable pipe so it's not a loss.

Cheers everyone and happy piping.

14. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

I have a variety of pipes made from different materials and I have to say that each is suited to different blends with different moisture levels. Experiment, and see what works for it. Your wife will be encouraged when she sees you smoking the pipe she got you. Most men receive a plastic pipe, and refuse to smoke it (and take years off their life) so I must agree that you are a very lucky man.

browny likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.