B&M Etiquette

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddandb

The other B&M thread made me think of this...

When I was smoking cigars proper B&M etiquette wasn't a problem. I'd pick out a cigar I liked, pay for it and sit down in the lounge and smoke it.

The B&M's in my area don't have that great a selection of counter pipe tobacco and the tins (if they have anything) are twice the internet price.

I don't feel right going in to smoke if I'm not buying anything so I usually buy a mess of pipe cleaners or butane, sometimes I've even bought some pipe tobacco that I knew I'd never smoke just so I didn't feel like a leech.

Sometimes I wish they would just charge an overhead.

Zanaspus

Depends on the B&M. At my favorite one, they are very friendly folks and have no issues with smoking a bowl if they know you occasionally buy stuff. I would guess others, not so much.

Traderbob

I know what you mean. I have sort of the same situation - except that I have bought a few pipes and a lighter. I always pick a lower price to offer and negotiate so that I don't over spend compared to internet prices. Fortunately this guy is very easy going, sometimes I stop at lunch and smoke a bowl without purchasing anything - & he seems okay with it.

jvande7

Before I started piping I would go to this decent little cigar/smoke shop downtown Chicago and they had a few lazy-boys and leather loveseats and ashtrays. Decent little smokers lounge and they did not charge any $$$ for it. They did have signs posted saying if you didn't buy it here, we'd rather you didn't smoke it here, but they weren't sticklers.

That shop is now out of business.

Iwan Ries is now my shop and they have an INCREDIBLE smokers loung called "The Front Room". It's $500 a year for a membership or $10 for a guest pass (one visit).

http://www.iwanries.com/the-front-room-chicagos-premier-smoking-lounge.cfm

I can't afford $500 but maybe on my birthday or something I'd pay $10 to sit and smoke a pipe there. I can appreciate the pricing though because if it was free you'd have all types of people just hanging out there. One should be given a free guest pass with purchase of $10 or more though, IMO.

I've been wanting to go into Iwan's lounge for a while. It looks great, and they sometimes have Bears games on with food and it's always BYOB. I think they have wifi too. I won't pay the membership fee because I'm not downtown much anymore, and my recliner at home is very comfortable!

Falconeer

Hi All,

All I can say is that you are soooo lucky to have those places - we have nothing like that in the UK - current anti smoking legislation would ban them if anyone even thought of setting one up now - it would count as a workplace here and as such all smoking would be banned in it.

Use 'em or lose 'em

Jealously

Gerry

jvande7

Falconeer said:
Hi All,

All I can say is that you are soooo lucky to have those places - we have nothing like that in the UK - current anti smoking legislation would ban them if anyone even thought of setting one up now - it would count as a workplace here and as such all smoking would be banned in it.

Use 'em or lose 'em

Jealously

Gerry
I agree wholeheartedly but $500 is more than I can spend. The wife would be all - "you spent $500 on WHAT!?" :eek:

As I said, they should let you in there for an hour if you buy something $10-$20+. And they might do that, I've never asked. They're very cool and eager to please there. Maybe the $500 and $10 prices are just to keep the homeless folks from hanging out. They usually see me and say "Hey welcome back :)!" so maybe I could convince them? :p

A nice smoking lounge like that shouldn't be so exclusive that you have to drop $500 a year to step foot inside.

That reminds me of all the fancypants golf courses that are out there. Sorry to any golfers in here but I find golf courses a huge waste of space. They section/fence off acres and acres of beautiful land and charge people tons of cash to be members... It just seems wrong. All that lush scenery, and when you drive past there is hardly ever anyone using them.

A life goal of mine involves a study furnished in similar fashion. No need to leave the elegant comforts of home to have a nice gentlemanly place to smoke. Until then, to the back porch I go.

wowsley

jvande7 said:
Iwan Ries is now my shop and they have an INCREDIBLE smokers loung called "The Front Room". It's $500 a year for a membership or $10 for a guest pass (one visit).
This sounds pretty similar to my B&M. They were a public lounge until about a month ago, but still had a membership option for a locker and access to a private club in the basement. That was $30/mo or $300/yr. Now they've gone private upstairs too, with similar fees as before.

I can't really smoke at home, being it's an apartment and SWMBO would have a fit, so it's worth it at that price for me. Also, then I can buy online (or where ever) and not have the problem of feeling like a freeloader :puff:

Smoker99

Smokers and shop owners have encountered some unique circumstances since the advent of smoking bans. I was friends with a local gentleman who had a shop in my area for almost forty years, in pretty affuent areas here. The last ten years, his shop was in a strip mall. A couple years ago he put in a small lounge area of half a dozen easy chairs, a flat screen TV, and provided gratis snacks and soft drinks, with beer and wine for sale. He said he began to draw local cigarette smokers from nearby stores, who would crowd the place, buy nothing, and go back to work.. On weekends he complained of moochers and what he called campers, ie guys who would spend a large part of the day watching TV and smoking, and make small purchases to justify their presence. He said he was probably going to have to eliminate the lounge area because he didn't have the space to make a formal pay lounge. He was a very nice guy, and these decisions were tough for him. He just sold the place instead. I am convinced the problems just forced him out of the business, as he loved it.

NDLanoue

Smoker99 said:
Smokers and shop owners have encountered some unique circumstances since the advent of smoking bans. I was friends with a local gentleman who had a shop in my area for almost forty years, in pretty affuent areas here. The last ten years, his shop was in a strip mall. A couple years ago he put in a small lounge area of half a dozen easy chairs, a flat screen TV, and provided gratis snacks and soft drinks, with beer and wine for sale. He said he began to draw local cigarette smokers from nearby stores, who would crowd the place, buy nothing, and go back to work.. On weekends he complained of moochers and what he called campers, ie guys who would spend a large part of the day watching TV and smoking, and make small purchases to justify their presence. He said he was probably going to have to eliminate the lounge area because he didn't have the space to make a formal pay lounge. He was a very nice guy, and these decisions were tough for him. He just sold the place instead. I am convinced the problems just forced him out of the business, as he loved it.
That's a sad story. It's a shame when you can't even try to be nice to loyal customers.

Sweatsack

It's pretty deeply ingrained in me that if you go into a place of business to hang out, or wait around for someone, or whatever, you should buy something. To me, it's like taking advantage of the owners & employees if you don't. They are providing you with a service (a comfortable place to smoke indoors), and let's be honest, they're doing it to get you into their store and buy something. It seems kind of selfish to me to use a service that they're providing, that costs money, and not give anything back. I would think it polite to make a small purchase when you use their lounge.

But do what you want! No sweat off my sack!

Sweatsack

If I was going to have a shop with a lounge I would set it up so that you can either become a member or make a purchase to enter. For example, if you bought more than $5 in product you could use the lounge. Or you could become a member, and you'd get a card that would be good for 10% off your purchases or whatever. So depending on your buying habits it could be affordable for you either way but it would prevent freeloading.

Status
Not open for further replies.