Back to the cob

Discussion in 'Corn Cob Pipes' started by Whalehead King, Jan 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Active Member

When I first started out smoking a pipe, I started with basket pipes and cobs. I'm rough on everything I own. I bought one of the new MM hardwoods recently and I burned a hole through it in about four days. My favorite pipe ever is an MM Ozark Mountain that served me well for years until I lost it when I heard my wife calling my name and I dropped the pipe in the garden to rush to her aid. I've never seen that pipe again, and not for lack of looking for it still every time I'm in the garden.

I've got a Legend with a Forever Stem that I've had for about 7 years. I don't smoke it often, anymore, but I'm starting to smoke it more and more. It's so darned reliable. My other go-to pipe is a Medico that I bought from the offer on the back of a box of filters.

I splurged recently for two Butz-Choquins figuring I needed a higher end pipe. I liked the first one so much that I ordered a second. While the second one was en route through the mail I was walking my dog and smoking the first BC when it fell out of my hand. The mouthpiece shattered a bit off, giving me an odd clench and a sharp edge against my lip. The second BC arrived about a month and a half ago. Just today I've noticed that the stem has developed a hole in it, like a carburetor in another kind of pipe. That's a little less than $200 spent for pipes that, while very enjoyable when new, are somewhat less so with wear and tear.

I'm not saying that expensive pipes are a waste of money. I don't have enough experience to say one way or another. They are probably a waste of money for me. I never smoke my one lonely Peterson pipe. I hate it. I really do hate it, especially when I think about how much it cost in a B&M. It looks nice.

I need some new pipes. Not because I need them in italics, mostly I need a new pipe because I want one. That's why I bought the BCs. I've decided to go with a few new cobs. Granted, I'm not going to strut into the fanciest nightclub in town and pull out my new General so that people will be in awe, but if I do, I know I won't be too bothered if I leave it on the bar when I leave for the next adventure. I want a good smoking pipe. I don't want to spend a lot on it, based on my track record, and I don't want to worry about it.

I gave away all my cobs, but one, a few years ago. I don't wish I had them back, but I do wish I had another cob now. Or two. Or three, and another Ozark Mountain. I have some fancy pipes, but good things are wasted on me, as my wife will tell you. A cob is good. It is the right thing at the right price and it suits my style, even if I'm not a hillbilly. That is a myth. I'm going to buy myself a few cobs, not because I need them, but because I want them. I need a new pipe and a cob is as good as anything else. In many ways, it is better.

2. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

I always liked the expression, ''A pipe collection without both cobs and briars is incomplete.''

Hofnar, sillyoldbear and Dimik like this.
  3. leacha

leacha Active Member

Wow you smoke something fierce!!!! My maple diplomat is a joy.

4. sillyoldbear

sillyoldbear Active Member

I personally think everyone needs at least one metal as well. Of course that ruins the flow of your expression.

Whalehead King likes this.
  5. Spam

Spam Member

A pipe collection is incomplete.

Seems to ring the most true.

6. AlexanderM

AlexanderM Member

I really need to get me a cob or two.

It may sound strange, but being 26, I'd be the least embarrassed to sit in a cafe and smoke a cob*. Without wearing a bit more formal clothes a briar would look rather pretentious and a carved white pipe would make the briar seem modest.

Then again, it may depend on the briar, there are some very modern looking models around.

*Cobs are virtually unknown in Serbia, so they're a free slate image wise (no silly hick connotations)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  7. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

Smokey Tom likes this.
  8. beaupipe

beaupipe Active Member

Cobs.... I like them, but even where they're unknown, they might not be appreciated.

I was in China last year. For part of the year, I was in a fairly rural area--a "village" of maybe 20 thousand people about a half hour outside of a "small" city of about 3 million people. At the time, all I had with me were 3 cobs and a Falcon. I was happily smoking away surrounded by my wife and her family. Nobody spoke English, but my Chinese is functional, I suppose. We were having a great time. I never saw another pipe smoker. After a couple weeks of this, my sister-in-law, who lives in the city, showed up in the village with a box. Inside was a Dr. Plumb briar that she'd purchased on Taobao for me. My wife quietly explained that the whole family was embarrassed that I was smoking from of a hollowed out piece of corn.

I should add that my wife's family are just plain poor. They are subsistence farmers in rural China. My point is: I don't think you can go anywhere on the planet without "hick" associations joining your cob. Not that I care.

Why don't you experiment with a Grabow? They're inexpensive. And current models can be sent to the factory for replacement stems if you abuse the heck out of it. The replacements are pretty cheap, I think.

9. AlexanderM

AlexanderM Member

@MakDragon: Other people's opinions aren't important but sticking out like a sore thumb among ones peers serves no purpose either. I want my pipe smoking to be a natural thing, not to look like I'm begging for attention. Its already an uphill battle considering that no one under fifty that I know smokes a pipe.

@beaupipe : good point. Your story is amusing though :D

JTSmitty and Whalehead King like this.
  10. esteban

esteban Active Member

danggummit.......I'll smoke up my cob anywhere anytime.......

mitchell and Ephraim like this.
  11. AlexanderM

AlexanderM Member

I have an okay briar, but I've yet to take it out of the house. Its not a question of being embarrassed or anything, I'm just busy with my studies - so there hasn't been an opportunity.

12. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

Cobs are great. I smoke them exclusively. Counting the MM Ozark hardwoods, I have 16.
    The whole image thing doesn't bother me at all. I do live in rural West Virginia, but I don't see many mountain men smoking cobs. Whenever someone approaches me while I'm puffing away in public, they usually compliment and mention how a certain relative used to smoke cobs.

But if someone is self conscious about smoking a cob in public, there is the option of the hardwood Ozarks. They look like a simple stained wood pipe...well, they ARE simple wooden pipes :)

Cobs are great and I cannot recommend them enough :puffy:

JTSmitty likes this.
  13. just5042

just5042 Member

Living in northern cali where the tobacco pipe is certainly not the prevalent one. I think... a tobacco pipe is welcomed in public rather than the sneek a tokes and glass pipes. every once in a while I'll have an older fella nod and smile. a nice thing to have happen. It has not seemed to matter cob or briar, I have no meer's. One thing I like about having a cob on hand which im sure would be true as well if I had say an ozark, I'm rough with them. example; the trunk on my car does not open properly it must be held up under the lever. At times I have used a can or a rolled up paper bag or the child in the front seat. the other day I stuck the stem in there and HEY PERFECT FIT. I would not do things like that with the handful of briars I have. While almost everything that has tasted good in briar does also in a cob. each changes the taste a bit. Least it seems that way to me. I have been enjoying shortcut to mushrooms and 5100 the last few weeks and I prefer them in a briar. I will probably get a meer one day and say wow that tastes incredible in a meer! My thought is THEY ARE ALL GREAT! in their own ways.

Ephraim likes this.
  14. mitchell

mitchell Active Member

I have been enjoying the two MM cobs that I recently aquired. The guys at work like to make cracks about the cobs, but hell they make cracks about my pipe smoking anyway so who cares. I like it and thats all I care about.

Ephraim and just5042 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.