Balkan Blends

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by TxPipesmoker, Sep 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Max Gunner

Max Gunner Member

Just picked up a tin of Bill Bailey's Balkan blend last week. Haven't opened it yet though. Nightcap is on of my all time faves, though I confess I wasn't aware it was a "balkan."

2. Capt

Capt Active Member

I will agree, I have smoked a fair amount of Nightcap, and I never considered it a Balkan blend.

3. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Saseini Balkan is great, so are the Frog Mortons if you want something a little lighter (FMOTB being my favorite). Not entirely sure if it's a Balkan, but 3 Oaks Syrian is quite tasty too.

4. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Carry a big grain of salt with you, so you're prepared for all the terms you hear from everybody that's got a pipe stuck in their gob.
    English, Balkan, American English, Scottish, blah blah blah. Learn the basic tobaccos, Virginias, Latakia, Perique, etc., and know what you like and don't like. The rest will fall into place, no matter what you call it.

5. beaupipe

beaupipe Active Member

I'm under the impression that some of the long-time pipers have given up altogether on the divisive nomenclature related to the various blends containing Latakia. Is there enough Cavendish for it to be Scottish? Are there enough Orientals for it to be Balkan? Is the Virginia base full enough for it to be English? Is the Burley base and the light topping sufficiently present for it to be an American English?

I'm in the yawn camp and favor "Latakia-blend." Let the chips fall where they may after that.

GlassSculptor likes this.
  6. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Chasing smoke.... it's hopeless.

McClelland Blue Mountain is very nice; Compton's of Galashiels Macedonian Mixture, however, is fish hook.

7. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

I think of boring ol' Squadron Leader as more Scots than Balkan-- similar to, say, boring ol' Red Rapparee. The Latakia needs to come up a bit to be Balkanish to me.

Blue Mountain does kick some serious butt.

8. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

SG Balkan Flake is a "Balkan" I believe :D

Didn't much care for it last summer when I tried it but on a recent revisit, I enjoyed it quite a bit. Didn't run out and track down more but did feel either my tastes changed/developed or the leaf got better........ maybe both?!? :msty:

So the more common/current df of "Balkan" is Orientals primarily with Latakia being a major player in the mix? I'm asking what everybody's take is on "what is a balkan".

Ed
    Puff

9. buistd

buistd Active Member

G&H Balkan Flake. Good hit of Latakia and a lovely leathery taste. Room note is a little on the malodorous side so maybe not one for indoor puffing in company!

10. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Just to make the blend distinctions more fun, I think we need to divide Balkan into Serb and Croat. Original black'n'white Sobranie would be Serb, and 759 Croat. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.