Balkan Blends

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by mrpipster, Jun 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrpipster

mrpipster Active Member

So I recently got a sample of Britts Balkan from 4noggins when I placed an order there.
    When I first smoked it it sseemed to have a slight sweet taste but now that I have smoked a couple of bowls the slight sweetness is gone.
    I really like the way this blend tastes but I would like to try other Balkans that have a sweet taste to them.
    Anyone got an recomemdations?

2. user2725

user2725 Active Member

I just open a tin of Solani 779, it's got a sweetness to it.

3. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

Greg Pease has a good one.......Blackpoint

4. user2725

user2725 Active Member

You found it sweet?

5. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Balkan Saseini, Balkan Sobranie, and McClelland Orientals #1 come to mind first, if you want even sweeter in not such a strict balkan blend, then try MacB's vintage Syrian.

Enjoy tasting!

6. Nate

Nate Member

'Balkans' are usually hard to find the sweet flavor. They're usually meant to be more savory and smokey. I could be wrong, I know this but I haven't really had a sweet balkan. One of my faves is Balkan by Brebbia, one of the few blends left with Syrian latakia and it is the sweetest of the ones I have smoked. Give 'er a go! You may like it.

7. KevinP

KevinP Member

But have you tried the one the OP mentioned? Brit's Balkan? It's cased with vanilla. Some people say it's more of a light topping. but to me the vanilla is overwhelming. It's an aromatic and I don't see anything balkan about it.

Rodfather likes this.
  8. Nate

Nate Member

I have not had that one, sounds unpleasant! :D I also had Erinmore's balkan and didn't care for it, not much 'balkan' about it either.

9. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I agree. Stokkebye's Balkan Supreme is probably the sweetest I've ever smoked, and I wouldn't exactly call it sweet.

I've never smoked Britt's Balkan but if it's cased with vanilla as KevinP says, then it's hardly a strict balkan.

Along with savory and smoky, I often find a slight bitter or sour taste from the preponderance of orientals. This adds to the overall character. GLP's Charing Cross is probably my favorite balkan, and it's far from sweet.

Nate likes this.
  10. user2725

user2725 Active Member

That reminds me of Boswell's Countryside, an english with a heavy sweet topping, a bit too much IMO, I was kinda disappointed with it, a bit biting which is unusual for a Boswell blend.

11. John Long

John Long Member

Dan Tobacco Bill Bailey's Balkan Blend is one I always have around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.