Balkan Sasani says me

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Mington, Mar 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Gents,
    (or All as Gerry says) :thumb:
    I will be heading out to the local B&M this weekend and when I was last there I saw some Balkan Sasani there.
    I didn't pick any up last trip because I was already at my weekly TAD quota.
    This stuff is on my TAD list.
    Is it any good?
    Can you guys tell me more about it than what I already read in TR?
    Thanks in advance.
    M

2. jhe888

jhe888 Member

It is apparently a close replica of a classic English mix, and people undoubtedly love it. I haven't smoked any, but if I saw a tin, I'd buy it. If you like English mixes, why not?

3. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

I find this popular blend skirts the edge of muddy and, otherwise, is uninspired. It isn't bad-bad to me - it's just the last english blend I want to smoke. I may have one tin sitting around and it's yours if you want it. Wasn't this a 2t2m selection?

I am a bad gauge of the public barometer. I like my latakias lighter and sweeter and, uh, whippier.

4. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

My favorite balkan. I have a lot of it, both tin and bulk. I just like everything about it. You can still get the 50g. tin for around 7$. This, along with Kingfisher and Pelican, is one of the best bargans out there. I think it's Cup O Joe that has it in bulk.

OBD.

5. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

I like my Latakia blends (light or heavy) to be slightly sweet and I just didn't find much sweetness in BS. To be honest, I smoked a few bowls of it and tossed the rest.

Is that even legal??

:hide:

6. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

If it's true to be a tinned PS Balkan Supreme, I'd pass. I may just have similar sentiments as Moo on this one.

7. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Even though I'm too young to a codger, let me grump in here. It tastes nothing like BS of old. I'm happy for all those who like it, but it's an imposter sitting in a Sasieni tin.

8. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

More explanation, please?

9. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

I am not it's biggest fan. Gives my a dry mouth like no other, and it is fairly forgettable taste wise to me.

10. jpberg

More explanation? I'm only 42, way too young to be a grumpy old bastard.

Oh, you mean about the tobacco? To my taste, the stuff I smoked in the late 80s was a complete package, rich yet not heavy, intense lat and oriental, but not a bomb, sweet, and hard to turn sour.

My experience with the new is that it's too sweet and too flat. I dunno, maybe it's me. Lots of people like it very much.

My biggest bitch is just philosophical, the same people aren't putting the same stuff into the tins, and they're doing it knowing full well that calling it BS will sell more tins than calling it "joes mix #1".

11. yinyang

Grumpy, old, and bastard...

JP...hate to tell you, but um, you fit your definition to a tee!

The fact you have had BS in the eighties helps seal the deal. Half the guys here weren't even swimmers back then...

Time to embrace who you are...[sup][/sup]

12. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

Hell, I was a grumpy old bastard in the 80's and I"m in my mid 40's now....... :cigar:

Funny how jpberg found it too sweet and I thought it wasn't sweet at all. I've still got a tin or two, so I may try it again at some point. Maybe I was just in a foul mood when I tried it.....:huh:

13. jpberg

Well GS, I'm hypersensative to "sweet", so I'm sure I'm probably the exception. In balkan blends, sweet can turn sour for me if the blend is not spot on with my taste buds.

And Yin, you've got some pull around here, maybe you can have me assigned to the grumpy bastard commitee, you putz.

14. yinyang

Grumpy bastards don't work well in committee....you'll have to 'outgrump' the resident grand poobah, and take his title.

(Jesla....you have a challenger....)

15. sorringowl

sorringowl sorringowlandsons.com

Hey Ming,

I LOVE this stuff. To me, it is one of the most unique tobaccos I've had to date. It's this combo of being smoky, yet very cool, tasty, but a taste all its own. I think this is one of those tobaccos you either love or hate from the get go. This was the first tobacco with Latakia that I really loved and made me explore English/Balkan blends even further, and now I love those too.

It's definitely worth a try. :cheers:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.