Balkan sasieni - what's in a name?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by dmkerr, Nov 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Arkie's review of Balkan Sasieni reminded me of a question I've had at the back of my mind since I first noticed it but never asked about.

Does anyone know anything about the origin of the name? I realize Sasieni is close to Sobranie and it was put out to (a little more obvious than subliminally) cash in on the Sobranie name. However, I'm curious where the Sasieni comes from. Joseph Sasieni created a pipe company that made pipes like 2-dots, 4-dots, Coventrys, and such. I'm not sure if it's still around. But it seems an odd choice for a tobacco name unless Stokkebye bought the rights to it.

Anyone know the origins of this tobacco name?

2. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

I wish I knew how to pronounce it. It's one of my favorites.

OBD.

3. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

I thought Balkan Sasieni was blended and tinned by Stokkebye and Stokkebye Balkan Supreme is the bulk verison of Sasieni....?

4. TxPipesmoker

TxPipesmoker Active Member

you are correct, Sir

5. dmkerr

Sa-SEE-nee.

Ol Brokedik likes this.
  6. dmkerr

It is and it is. But that doesn't explain the Sasieni name. Sasieni was a pipemaker and Stokkebye is a tobacco blender. I'm wondering how the two names came to be combined.

7. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Thank's. You're my hero!

Ol Brokedik.

8. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Not sure but after an hour Googling I have come up with nothing about the combination of Stokkebye/Sasieni but did find this and of course tak it with a grain of salt:

http://forum.pipes.org/messages/24/1278.html

9. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

SmokeyJoe likes this.
  10. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

That does make sense. I've heard from several people that Balkan Sobranie's formula was altered at least once, and one reviewer on tobaccoreviews.com notes a pronounced difference between what he remembered smoking in the Sixties and the version sold from the Seventies forward, if memory serves. Given the information in the above article, I assume that the new Germain version is based on Gallaher's formula, which is probably what most people remember smoking despite the fact that it isn't the true original.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.