Balkan Sobranie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nate

I have 4 tins now. I really like it. I had the pleasure of smoking some of the 'old' (70's) Sobranie White and apart from the normal age and dryness components, the new tins seem remarkably close. I'll now let the people who know what they're talking about put in something worthwhile. :D

Mington

I have had a couple bowlfuls so far and love it. Never had the original or previous versions, but this stuff is a keeper and an every day smoke (IMO).

Mington

Have you been able to try either of the 'Throwdown' blends? McClelland's Blue Mountain or Hearth & Home's Black House? I also found it's [kinda] like Brebbia's 'Balkan' (green tin).
I myself have had a few bowlfuls of Blue Mountain and loved it.
Still waiting to try some Black House which is on my TAD list.:nwor:
Never had or heard of the Brebbia's though)

Nate

I myself have had a few bowlfuls of Blue Mountain and loved it.
Still waiting to try some Black House which is on my TAD list.:nwor:
Never had or heard of the Brebbia's though)
I think it is available through P&C, but it's a bit pricey. I got mine at the Columbus Pipe Show this year. It is great! It uses (supposedly) Syrian latakia, so it's a bit different than Balkan Sobranie in that manner, but it has the depth and richness. I think of the two Throwdown blends, I like Blue Mountain best, but it's a toss up.

Snake

permanent ankle biter
Patron
BS is a very nice smoke! More complex than
I initially would have thought. I can't get
hooked on it too much as I might die of old
age before Germain sends their next shipment
out. :wch:

user1975

Have had the original Sobranie, but haven't had the chance to try the new stuff yet. As for the "throw down" blends, I love Blue Mountain, but haven't had Black House yet either.

atlharp

Picked up a tin here locally. It is an impressive smoke that just delivers flavor upon flavor. Herbal sweetness that is smooth and silky. I have never had the original Balkan Sob. but if it was at all like this I have been missing out. Nummy!

maddis

Patron
I think it's aptly named as a Balkan -----> latakia predominates, orientals spice it up. I find it super tasty but it stinks up the house something fierce. I have a tin of this and a tin of Blue Mtn. open right now, and they have been for a while since I'm more of a VA smoker.

Both the balkans are good, just a little different. I find BS a little more "leathery" and BM to have a little more of that Mclelland catsup thing going. But compared to a VA or basic English, they're both decidely Balkans.

Status
Not open for further replies.