1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Banded MM's (wide metal band)

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Puff The Magic, Jun 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Thank you Walker bros. for doing this. Between the wide banded shanks and the Forever Stems, the venerable MM Cob has turned into a little Hot Rod of a pipe! Looking forward to getting mine.

2. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Big fan of banded pipes in general - some of the MMs such as the Freehand with its known weak point in the stem without a band were positively crying out for this.

Not that a split stem in the Freehand is a big deal - Marilyn quoted me $1.00 for a replavement wooden stem if I fitted it myself yesterday!

Thanks for the info

Gerry

3. Puff The Magic

I hear ya loud and clear Gerry! The Freehand NEEDS some sort of "collar" for the stem end of the shank. Unfortunately, the way the shank is shaped, it does not allow for this banding. I checked. Oh well, gotta be a "Tom Sawyer" and use the string (one of my CCSS has "cable zip tie" on it, and it does very well and looks OK, while the other has a "welded continuous ring" - Ace Hardware - that is slipped upwards from the narrow end to just about at the stem end of the shank. Yes, I had to break the pipe bowl-shank apart and then re-glue them together after the ring was in place).

Replacement shanks are inexpensive but the whole idea of that weak of an area on such a "burley-ish" cob DOES NOT MAKE SENSE! That's reality. Sort of a pain to keep re-gluing knowing it's gonna crack again (post "oops" moment), and it won't smoke..........I guess I can use duct tape for an emergency fix but why worry about a weak shank-stem junction if you don't have to?????

I actually find myself "babying" my CCSS Freehands way more than any other cob in rotation! Sort of ironic for such a pipe.

But, none the less, Walker bros. has taken the "almighty cob" to even higher places and with a Banded MM (Patriot, Diplomat, Danes...both spool & egg, Country Gentleman, and Washingtons) along with a Forever Stem, I don't believe I'll ever go back to smoking a briar or meer on any sort of regularity. Cobs RAWK! :dunno:

4. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Yes the last thing I did before leaving Scotland on Thursday was to ease open the cracked stem of my Freehand ( had pushed a forever stem in too far by accident ) fill it with woood glue and leave it clamped with a zip tie til I get back this coming Sunday when I'll rest it out to see if it holds.

Have been considering how to strengthen it and two ideas strike me - first to put glue on the outside of the tem near the end maybee about 1/4" wide and then bind it decoratively with fuse wire; reckon if I do it carefully it'll look good just like a band would. The other option would be to re shape the end then fit a ring/band whatever.

Still it is a design weakness of anotherwise excellent pipe and one I do wish MM would address,

Best meantime

Gerry

5. FrankB

FrankB Member

Hey all,while cruising Ebay I saw several estate cobs with bands.I think one was silver tone and another was brass.Does anyone know if these were the standard of MM manufacture in the past? I know I would gladly pony up a couple of extra bucks for a banded vulcanite or lucite bit cob from the company,wouldnt yall?FrankB

6. Puff The Magic

Back a while ago (........in a galaxy far far away....) MM used to put out two higher grades. Custom Grade (wide band, larger chamber, seemingly better "kernelling"....appearance-wise, meaning less plaster "patches", etc.) The Custom Grades can be found as singles in boxes or as a 7-day set with a variety of shapes and even a churchwarden. The highest was the Monograms. Wood plug at the bottom and even better overall appearance and features than the Custom Grades but both are quite nice on the aesthetics. I prefer the older ones for what they are besides the nostalgia associated with them but MM is kicking out some real good product today too. Whether the wider bands of vintage attracts you, you decide. If you are on the prowl for a wide banded cob, go to Walker Bros! They just started making wide banded (Walker Bros "modded" as in "upgraded" MM cobs) MM cobs. I flipped when I saw it and immediately fell into the blackhole of PAD! Get a Walker Widebanded Cob with a Forever Stem and you'll be very hard pressed to put that one down!

7. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

You guys are gonna break me! Stop giving me ideas! La-la-la-la-la....

8. Puff The Magic

Some of the older MM's had a vulcanite like stem that was way better than the stock stem they recently stopped equipping their pipes (other than the legend and a few others), the black stemmed ones (all of them). The vulcanite like stem is fairly easy to discern due to looking like the stem on a Kaywoodie/Dr G. But It's still not as good as a Kaywoodie/Dr G. The new "dane stem" is still "chewy plastic" and those too have their place(s).

Only problem with a Forever Stem is that you really need to start the pipe out "new" with the Forever Stem. If you've smoked the pipe much with the stock stem, it may end up being too tight for the Forever Stem to fit without some mods to the pipe or the stem. Otherwise, I consider the Forever Stem to be one of the best darned "hop-ups" for the venerable & almighty cob. Totally changes the "feel" of the pipe.

9. Puff The Magic

Do Not Confuse the MM "wide bands" with the Walker Bros "wide bands". Totally two different amniminimals! :hot: The older or rather vintage ('60's ish) MM's that had wide bands were kind of all over the place as far as the band strength. Sure, they were wide but some were so soft and malleable, you could dent them with your fingernail and squash them between your pinkies! No sheeite! But, otoh, some were quite strong. I do feel the ones that come on current MM's are the strongest overall as for what MM has put out. They used to use gold painted "bell rings" like the ones that are black now. Those are good too. But the MM Widebands can actually yield "not much support" to the mortis-tenon joint.

I don't believe the Walker "wide rings" will be soft at all and probably outlive both the pipe and meeself! Cool in a way.........never have to worry about a "split shank", ever! Tom Sawyer, eat yer heart out!

10. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

The Old Wood Glue has worked - smoking my Danish filled with Quadruple Virginia as I type - going great so far! Think I'll still invest in a banded version later in the year though.

Best to all

Gerry

11. hoss

hoss Member

Bah...you guys are baaaaaaaaad. I finally caved and got my first cob ordered from Dave @ Walker Briar Works. It's a bent banded country gentleman. I talked to him about getting the one with the darkest color available. He's always a very cool guy to work with.

About these cobs...we'll soon see. :thumbsu:

12. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

I've got my eye on one of those as well. I'm also thinking about picking up one of those cob nosewarmers.

13. Puff The Magic

Don't hate me for this post but I speak none but the truth here:

Upon receipt of my box o'cobs from Walker bros. All of them Widebands and they looked and felt very deserving and appropriate on a pipe that I hold in such high esteem. What I found was an added bonus, it seems as if Walker bros goes through each of these and "fixes" or "makes better" anything that MM's mass production overlooks. Acceptable things that sort of will take care of itself as the bowl is smoked and smoked more. Like the bowl hole drilled where a visible and palpable ledge is mid-way down the bowl. Another is the staining on the Patriots and Country Gents tend to get inside of the bowl (and in some cases a good portion or one entire side gets stained, yep, inside the bowl) and it looks like Walker bros just took most of that out and "cleaned" up the ledge made when the bowl chamber was drilled. I usually go through all of my cobs prior to first light so I can maximize the enjoyment by maximizing the pipe. Of course you anti-cobbers don't understand all of my fuss, but hey, it's okay. I'm cool with that. Walker "went through" all of these pipes and made 'em "rts" (ready to smoke), even the bowl chamber "tweaking" making the interior bowl wall nice and smooth or as smooth as a cob bowl can be (no ledge(s)). I guess I'm gonna have to put some of my tried and true rotation cobs into "not enough room but ready bench" so I can get these widebands into service...........or just get another rack for these wide bands and call it a day! :wave:
    Anyone know anyone who builds good racks :bow:

:old:
    Ed Puff!

14. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

That is something good to know, thanks for the report Ed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.