1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Basket Pipes

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Stonewall, May 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

We've all got one about. What are your favorite ones?

I've got a few no-name Italians that are drilled perfectly and smoke like a dream. I'm also a big fan of Courtley Supremes. I've bought 3 of these pipes and they are fantastic.

What about you guys?

2. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

"The Canadiann" or my recently rediscovered Gino.

Stonewall likes this.
  3. Lucky44

Lucky44 Member

I have a couple ebay dollar specials, and a Canadian I practiced texturing on. They're the outdoor pipes.

Stonewall likes this.
  4. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

I have an Italian Meer lined no-name.. Great pipe that I use for sampling tobacco and traveling.

Stonewall likes this.
  5. Squall409

Squall409 Member

My favorite is my only pipe at the moment. It's a Savinelli Second with Lucite. I like it...

RTOdhner and Stonewall like this.
  6. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I've never owned or smoked a no name basket pipe, I was first introduced to the Dr. Grabow pipe by a friend, bought one to try, liked it, and have stayed with that brand to this day.

Kevin Keith, Stonewall and RTOdhner like this.
  7. shadow

shadow Active Member

My first ever non filter pipe was a basket pipe although it's got the name Craftsman stamped on it.
    An excellent smoker! Wouldn't want to part with it!:bing:

Stonewall likes this.
  8. RTOdhner

I once read a really interesting article on those "no name" pipes. Most are from Italy, and they're generally made by small, family-run enterprises. These families don't make a lot of money making these pipes, and they turn them out using simple designs that have been in the family for generations. Often their tools are no more sophisticated than the tools that many of you fine gentlemen here at PSF use to carve your pipes: small work tables, basic clamps, basic files, basic coping saw, saws, and basic drills. The article didn't state where they got their briar, but I'm gonna guess it's from the same sources that supply the brar for the pipe kits. Judging from both my Gino and Canadian and how the finish has rubbed thin in some places, I'm gonna guess they might just be using plain old wood stain to finish them. In a way, this makes me enjoy my two basket pipes even more. (Well, actually it's three because I forgot about my little rusticated Author - another nice smoking pipe).

haikucub, Rodfather and Stonewall like this.
  9. Brian Damage

Brian Damage Member

My favorite pipe is a basket pipe. Simply says "Made In Greece" on the side. No clue what you would call the shape. 30 bucks and is a great smoker.

[​IMG]

10. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

This was a great read; thanks for posting it. I have two of these no name Italians that are absolutely fantastic smokers.

RTOdhner likes this.
  11. Nuck81

Nuck81 Member

my favorite Briar is a full bent that only says "made in Italy" Good smoker, but I rank several of my cobs over it.

12. RTOdhner

I can't believe that the entire basket pipe market is directed at the U.S., so I'm gonna guess these pull duty in Europe in much the same manner as a Dr. G's do overe here - guys who just smoke pipes buy them just to smoke tobacco, and do so without much of a thought to any art or social statement other than supporting a local business.

13. Nick Correia

Nick Correia Member

I have three. I call them the Good, the Bad and the Ugly. One smokes like a dream. The second is horrible, mainly because it needs a new stem and it's gets super hot. The last smokes nice but is ugly as hell, it needs a new stem as well.

14. Kentuck

Kentuck Member

I only judge a pipe by how it smokes and nothing else. If a no name pipe gives me pleasure it goes in my rotation. If a name brand pipe smokes badly it suddenly becomes a basket pipe. I smoke because I like tobacco, not to make a "social statement". I don't give a fig if someone admires my pipe or not. I smoke to please myself.

G man, Wharf Rat, buistd and 2 others like this.
  15. JohnG

JohnG Member

I started a thread about mine just a few days ago....... see No Nmae Briar

16. RTOdhner

The article that I got this information from was kind of sad, actually. Many of these pipes are being made by people who live a pretty hard life in rural and economically depressed areas of Italy, and they often earn just enough on pipes to get by. However, one of the importers - I forget who - was really screwing them over and not paying them in full for the pipes. Kind of sad when you've start dirty dealing a widow who is trying to provide for five kids through the family basket pipe business, and you do it for a couple of grand. Distasteful, to say the least.

17. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I was at B&B tobacco in Asheville , NC the other day . Dave , the owner , gave me a basket pipe that was in storage since the 70's ... it's just stamped " Italy " . It rocks with a good sized chamber and is making me a killer work pipe ! It's a tuff stout pipe

RTOdhner likes this.
  18. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

I picked up a rusticated "London Made" Lovat from another PSF'er.
    It's a banging little pipe.

And @furious says it looks like a Barling. I say he's nuts, but I still tell people it might be ;-)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
    furious likes this.
  19. beano

beano Member

How can I tell if a basket pipe is briar vs some other wood?

20. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Basket pipes seem to have evolved. A long time ago they belonged in a basket marked "waste". The ones I've seen more recently seem pretty decent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.