1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Basket pipes...

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Raffxr7, Sep 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Do most B&Ms have their basket pipes from one manufacturer, or an assortment?

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I used to get my basket pipes from Lane Limited . They had a good selection of all kinds of stuff [ muliple manufacturers ] . Just about any distributor , of any size , carries a selection . Theres a good number of distributors out there so theres a chance they could be buying from each or one .

3. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

One of my local shops has a box of pipes behind the counter. They are stamped simply "Italy" if I remember right. I believe they are Brindisis. In the past I had went through the box, and looked at fit, finish, drilling, and had picked several out. They were $25.00U.S. dollars each. They were also good smoking pipes. If you find such so called basket pipes---the nice thing is if you have that pipe in hand--as I said check the finish, fit, and engineering. No matter the maker I like these for work pipes. The kind of pipe that if it gets banged up, lost, dropped, left lay etc., etc. it isn't so bad on the mind, and wallet when you realize its lost etc.. Cobs are good choices for this also.

RTOdhner likes this.
  4. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

My B&M sells them labeled "CZECH". I spotted a brebia pocket pipe in the mix, too. I believe they could all be from brebbia... but being sure of that is another thing. For field pipes I get estates for ~5-10 dollars, clean them up, and lay on a thicker coat of tripoli. I open the airways up in the shanks, too. I have had excellent success rates with this method. I even ordered a few dozen stems to replace damaged originals. I have been practicing opening the damaged originals up, but I really believe I need a tapered drill bit for any success. My "deep" field pipes are hand made from ash with a stainless steel stem. It's tough enough that the stem won't break if I run it over, and easy enough to make that I don't care what happens to the bowl. I can't list how many things I have lost in the woods while running a tractor... a knife a straw hat (it was on my head, but the brush hog ate it after that changed) a chainsaw, my wedding ring... (I still haven't lived that one down, in my defense there was a mountain lion nearby and I was SERIOUSLY under armed... moving quickly out of the woods was the only option I had. Somewhere along the line my ring came off :-| ) Thanks for the responses! I worded my question poorly, as I was trying to figure out if my B&M carried an assortment or was likely to carry one brand at a specific price. They have a few other price tiers as well.

5. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

They are likely "seconds" from various mfrs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.