Before you re-light, give it a poke

A little trick ive learned over the years for the newer guys just getting into smoking a pipe.,,,so youve loaded your pipe, packed it in just right for a good draw. You light it, maybe give her a tamp or two and set yourself to enjoy your pipe. Give her a few sweet puffs and pause for a bit,,go to get another puff and,,,nothing ! Dead pipe ? Well maybe,,,maybe not. At this point ive seen a lot of guys go to tamping and re-lighting with almost a vengeance on their pipe until its just blazing away hotter than hell and biting their tongue and then look at me & say,,"i dont guess smoking a pipes for me" well before you do all that take the pick on your nail and push it all the way down to the bottom and pull it back out. Dont ream it around or anything,,just one tiny hole right in the center. What youll generally find (and feel) is youve broken through the crust on top and already have plenty of fire in the bowl it just couldnt breathe and your pipe now draws and smokes pleasantly. This is especially true with aromatic blends of tobacco which tend to be more sticky and moist than OTC blends. Give it a try,,hope that helps,,and happy smoking.

Coastal Bend

Get off my lawn...
Patron

JRobert

Staff member
Forum Guide
Well i gotta admit i didnt see the my pipe wont stay lit post before i posted this one,,after reading that post ill agree mine was real close to the same thing. My apologies,,never meant to step on any toes.
I'm more worried about your keyboard -- your apostrophe key appears to be broken, the comma key seems to repeat two or three times every time you use it, and it inserts commas in strange places. Your shift key also seems to be intermittent, so it's probably going to fail soon.

Last edited:

Kevin Keith

I'm more worried about your keyboard -- your apostrophe key appears to be broken, the comma key seems to repeat two or three times every time you use it, and it inserts commas in strange places. Your shift key also seems to be intermittent, so it's probably going to fail soon.
LOL :haha::hip1::blah::hp2::bdance::bangin::banana:
Good counsel bears repeating. That is my excuse in sermons anyway.
How to get information across in a sermon (Hermeneutics 101)

1. Tell them what you're going to tell them
2. Tell them
3. Tell them what you told them

Last edited:

ruffinogold

Mayor
Given the title of the thread ... if guys that's were fixin to cheat took the titles advice , they might not find themselves committing a mortal sin ... just sayin . Its christmass after all and sinning is a drag . Plus ... A poke is a poke :beck:

Yes . A pipe tool usually has a poker and it's the least mentioned tool on it . I find it best to poke straight down the back end of the bowl , direct to the hole ... it is the quickest way to get airflow into a wonky filled chamber

A little trick ive learned over the years for the newer guys just getting into smoking a pipe.,,,so youve loaded your pipe, packed it in just right for a good draw. You light it, maybe give her a tamp or two and set yourself to enjoy your pipe. Give her a few sweet puffs and pause for a bit,,go to get another puff and,,,nothing ! Dead pipe ? Well maybe,,,maybe not. At this point ive seen a lot of guys go to tamping and re-lighting with almost a vengeance on their pipe until its just blazing away hotter than hell and biting their tongue and then look at me & say,,"i dont guess smoking a pipes for me" well before you do all that take the pick on your nail and push it all the way down to the bottom and pull it back out. Dont ream it around or anything,,just one tiny hole right in the center. What youll generally find (and feel) is youve broken through the crust on top and already have plenty of fire in the bowl it just couldnt breathe and your pipe now draws and smokes pleasantly. This is especially true with aromatic blends of tobacco which tend to be more sticky and moist than OTC blends. Give it a try,,hope that helps,,and happy smoking.
I've been doing this for years. It's just one of those little, seemingly almost insignificant things that you get so used to doing that you don't give it a second thought.
It's good of you to flag this one up to anyone who has never tried it, it's a really important and valuable little tip. :appl::bing:

Rule #7 of the my pipe won't stay lit thread has always discouraged me from doing this. After all, that thread is the reason I'm here, and the reason my pipe will now stay lit better!

I guess I just never questioned it after I found a method that worked. If my draw is too tight I usually assume I need to repack and that's what ends up happening.

Next time maybe I will broaden my horizons and try poking a hole.