1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Bertoldi Maestro Sherlock 1 - Brazillian Brand, European Briar

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Vinni, Dec 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinni

Vinni Member

Greetings amigos do Cachimbo,

I am going to make a little review for this one that is my first briar pipe.

Again, sorry for possible mistypes, gramatical errors and etc.

[​IMG]

Bertoldi is well know in Brazil as the best nacional brand for pipes for the reason that they are the only nacional brand who imports briar from Europe for their Maestro line of pipes. Obviously the most advanced pipe smokers here also preffer imported brands, wich can be really really expensive.

I have paid R$90,00 for this pipe, about $45,00, and I have choose it specially for its shape. I love curved pipes and Churchwardens.

I have been smoking Captain Black Gold (As explayined on my introduction to this Forum, it is almost impossible to get better tobaccos in here, Borkun Riff and Captain Black are know as the best brands on market), cleaning it with Jack Daniel's and I have to say, it is just delicious to smoke on it. It have a pretty gentle weight, its format fits perfect on hand and it is easy to keep it on mouth for some time. His bowl size is more than enough for a good smoke.

It also accepts 9mm filters wich I like to use. I am a casual cigarette smoker, however I do not inhale the pipe's smoke.

But not everything are flowers. Even with my low experience I have found a defect that, regarding eveything I have read about pipes, can be considered a big fault. Looking inside the bowl, it is possible to see that the airhole is not positioned at the very end of the bowl. There is about half a centimeter deep after the airhole. I have read that this can harm the smoking experience, the burning process and things like that. Well... Once I am just a beginner I decided to ignore it, but it is there.

Here some pictures I took:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, there some pictures comparing and showing my Churchwarden. It is a Montana brand Churchwarden, it have 43cm. It is HUGE.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well, please ignore gramatical errors or mistypes, if any part is impossible to understand for any reason please ask.

Please give your opnion, liked the pipe? Don't liked it? Does the airhole problem a big problem? Have you ever heard about this brand? Like brazillian wax jobs? ( :laff: ) Every tip and opnion is welcome!

Boas fumadas! :bing:

Gallavis and Johnny Dingo like this.

2. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

While not optimal, I think you'll be able to live with the slight misdrilling into your chamber. It happens on lots of pipes, and usually isn't the end of the world.

I hope you enjoy it.

3. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Good looking pipe. I do like that volcano/tulip flare it has.
    As for the drilling, like jpberg stated, I think you'll be ok with it. My cobs are extremely misdrilled if you think about it. Then the cake builds up just right to meet airhole :byg:

4. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

Pretty nice looking pipe there. Hopefully you don't find the mis-drilling to be too disagreeable, but if you do you could also attempt to build up the bottom of the bowl with a little pipe mud.

5. Vinni

Vinni Member

Thank you!

I see... Well I have read so many times that the airhole needs to be right in the botton on the chamber that I was thinking you guys would categorize my pipe as a piece of trash because of that :shead:I am "happy" to see this is a 'common' problem.

I doubt I'll even notice it, actually. :ngty: With my actual experience. Hey, I was thinking about that, depending on the opinion of you guys I was going to open a topic in order to know whats the best material I could use to cover the botton of the chamber until it achieves the airhole. But I have disregarded it for now...

6. Tony Malerich

There are other people who will have better advice, and other places on the forum to find it, but as best I know pipe mud is just a mixture of the ash from smoking with a bit of water. That can be applied to the bottom of the bowl and left to dry for a good while. It's a bit delicate at first, but once you get a cake going over it it works pretty well.

7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Way cool pipe , man ! Enjoy :thu2:

8. Vinni

Vinni Member

Hey... Sounds good! Once it does not appear to require too much skill, I am going to try it today after my after-lunch smoke and let it dry until next week! Two, maybe three days to dry sounds enough?

Thanks!

9. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

I love the grain, nice pipe Vinni

10. Tony Malerich

I have not done it myself so I can't really say. Just drawing from memory of what I've read. Check, perhaps, the Pipe Restoration section for more information :)

11. Vinni

Vinni Member

Thank you N3mo!

I am going to look for it, so. Thank you for the tip Tony.

12. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

13. Vinni

Vinni Member

Nice... Thanks for the tip.

Today I just noticed I smoke fast as hell. Probably because of the cigarette's habit. The pipe just got too hot. I'll try to lower it and stabilize my frequency.

Another thing that I am trying to learn is to keep it on my mouth. Just left some teeth marks today... It is normal, right? Or am I biting too hard?

14. Tony Malerich

Yeah, getting the right smoking cadence is challenging. Working to slow down will be a good thing. You'll get much better flavor, too.

15. Vinni

Vinni Member

Yeah... One thing I do wrong as well is that, everytime I am going to 'suck' the smoke, I do it about three times in sequence. This brings a lot of smoke and the flavor feels great (I usualy do it with cigars) but I can fell the heating on the pipe right at the moment.

Well, I am going to learn.

16. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

I try not to put bite marks on my stems but I'm not a clencher. If you ever decide to sell the pipe then bite marks are not preferred. If you are gonna keep it then it yours to do what you want. Some guys like the rubber covers that go on the end of the stem to protect it.

17. Vinni

Vinni Member

Devinitively I am not going to sell it, but I would like some rubber protection or something like... I usually put too much force between my teeths because of stress and things like that and I don't realize it before my toothing slips and shock between thenselfs or some teeth simply broke (already happened). So I am afraid of causing too much damage to it and I doubt I would find spare pipe parts over here.

18. Gallavis

Gallavis Member

I have one Bertoldi's pipe... My friend brought it to me from Brasil few years ago... It's cool pipe (without filter), Brandy style and I really like it... :D

esteban likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.