Best BULK Virginian and Vaper to age

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by jay29, Feb 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jay29

jay29 Member

I would like to start a tobacco cellar for bulk tobaccos that will age the best.

I have ordered a tin of each to get started:

Christmas Cheer 2010
    Balkan Sesieni
    British Woods
    Three Oaks Syrian

2. badbusinessman

badbusinessman ☺️

I've found ropes to age wonderfully in mason jars. 1792 turns into something else entirely with 10 years on it, and its very nice. If you consider Esoterica in 8oz bags bulk, then Tilbury also changes dramatically in mason jars and loses any noticeable topping.

3. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I dont have alot of experience w/ aging . But one time I aged a 5 lb bag of MB Mixture for about 5 years and it blew me away . I havent bought any since I ran out .. really made a diff . It is a killer blend to start but the aging made it magnif ! Sorry It's not a Va or Vaper but it's the only one I've aged . And it's been gone for a couple of years :(

4. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

That depends on your budget and storage capability.

Budget minded i'd hit McClelland bulks or tins, Hearth & Home bulks, Peter Stokkebye, C&D/GLP blends. Find what YOU like and stock from there.

In the higher budget line, I recommend the Dan, Dunhill, Esoterica tins/bulks.

Va's and Va-Pers are although similar from one to another within the respective category, vary quite a bit within category as well.

Sure, it'll take you some smokin' to hit a few and make some decisions but that's the journey as you carve it.

Smoke some..................and get more! :)

If you don't have jars yet, I understand manufacturer's bulk packaging to be good for at least 5 if not 10 (or more!). So 8 & 16 oz cans from C&D/GLP or the strong bags from Esoterica should last a very long time.

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

5. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

From my understanding, I'd say Puff gave you plenty to sift through. From what I've heard, here and elsewhere, SG's FVF is a quality specific candidate to entertain. Problem is, you gotta pay attention, daily!, for it to appear. But even with todays pricing of it, a few 250g boxes are a relative bargain. I personally find unaged FVF meh, but I wouldn't object to a pound or twenty hidden in my cellar. YMMV.

6. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Puff, I know you are an HV fan... have you bought it in the one pound bag? I was wondering if the factory bag would be OK for long term cellaring or if it would be better of stored in a jar or other method?

7. Puff The Magic

Brad, I feel the HV bags are strong enough to last a long time keeping the toby nice. Jars would be the ultimate but I just took the pounders and moved the flake around in the bag so they're all stacked again (bag still sealed) then put it into a freezer zip-lok style bag (for added protection of the HV bag itself).

Of course what you do or decide is totally up to you. I do have my tinnage and bulk bags stored separately though.......don't know why but I do.

Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

8. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Hey, protecting the factory bag from damage with an outer bag is a good idea.
    :thankyou:
    Brad

9. Puff The Magic

Can't hurt!

Btw, I used to live on I-10 just before Huebner and used to frequent Club Humidor all the time in the late 90's. Great b&m! Still have some well aged toby from them and one of their "Humidor" Savinelli's (804 with jade-like ferule on the stem). The two blondes that worked (Mom & Dau, Mom's married to the owner/manager) ARE HOT! What a time!

Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.