Best Butane?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oglethorpe

I heard a few guys recommend the Xikar butane for lighters (I just bought a "Pipeline"), for reasons such as minimal impurities, more per can, and no taste.

What do you recommend, and what is the best (cheapest place to get it)?

Demented

Xikar Butane :XD:

Unless they’ve gone into the refining business, you’d be paying a premium price for a can of “Joe’s Quadruple Refined Gas” specially package for Xikar.

I buy whatever’s cheapest at the time.

p.s. I hate to buy gas when there’s so much of it around here for free.

Oglethorpe

Outsourcing / subcontracting isn't out of the question... it doesn't take much to get exclusive rights to a product and slap your name on it (contract/royalties/etc), but that may also mean that this particular formulation is only available with Xikar.

Also, it comes highly recommended by guys like babysinister (who says he can taste the difference).

I've never had a butane lighter so...

Oglethorpe

Smoker99 said:
As long as it is triple refined I don't think the brand matters much. Can I have now says Nibo brand.
Yeah.. that's good. Also, it's better if I can just go out to the store and pick something up than have to wait for it in the mail.

Rugbysh9

cigarsinternational.com has IMO the best prices on the net but my local B&M has it so I tend to at the very least give him my "gas" business. Colibri isn't that bad for the price but I still pay the extra $ for the Xikar, + since I have lighters from a few companies the adapter that comes with each can of Xikar fuel is worth it.

Demented

I have a couple lighters my father gave me, a Scripto Vu from the 50?s and a Ronson Varaflame from the 60?s. Both are in fine working order even though Triple refined extra special 0% impurities gas has never been use to fuel them.

And I have a few butane torch lighters that work when they want to, and then poorly at best, and nothing but highly refined gas has been used in them as recommended, go figure.

If it?s a soft flame lighter you got, it should work fine with any of them, gas is gas.

Never noticed any ?Flavor? from butane, that?s just me.

Oglethorpe

Rugbysh9 said:
cigarsinternational.com has IMO the best prices on the net but my local B&M has it so I tend to at the very least give him my "gas" business. Colibri isn't that bad for the price but I still pay the extra $ for the Xikar, + since I have lighters from a few companies the adapter that comes with each can of Xikar fuel is worth it.
In your experience, does the gas from other companies need an adapter to work with the Xikar lighters? Trying to figure the best/least painful route to go here. It would suck to buy another brand only to find that the nozzle won't fit....

Rugbysh9

Sometimes its not a perfect fit but its close. If you end up getting something that isn't Xikar you will be fine. But if you happen to have a chance to pick up a can of Xikar you'll be able to save the adapter for future use.

jamie7

I usually get Ronson just because it's on the shelf everywhere. The small can comes with a step-tapered tip that can be cut to size sorta like caulking tubes. The larger can comes with about 6 different adaptors. I've got half dozen or so butane lighters and never had one that a can of ronson wouldn't fit.

Taste: I get this with zippo fluid for liquid fuel lighters, but not butane. Then I haven't tried alot of butane brands.

Butane is, IMO, definitely worth spending a few extra bucks to get the triple refined product. I am using a large can of Blazer brand right now with good results. The extra cost is cheap when compared with the cost of replacing a gummed-up and clogged pipe lighter.

Tinderfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.