Best Late Evening Smoke?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by NBPipe, Dec 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NBPipe

NBPipe Member

I'm wanting to search for a stately, relaxing, "library-ish" evening-smoke before bed-time.

Some names I have come across are Margate, Presbyterian, Quiet Nights, and And So To Bed. I have also read conflicting opinions that none of these fit the late evening description.

Any help is appreciated. BTW-what's your favorite late-evening pipe shape? I'm thinking about a Churchwarden???

Vaquero likes this.

2. CalPiper

CalPiper Member

My favorite late night shape is an Oom Paul. My Savinelli Nonpareil 9604 is my favorite go-to for a relaxing late night smoke. As for tobacco's, honestly I like the aros for a late night smoke because they are pretty smooth and mellow. But every person here likes different tobaccos, so one mans early morning smoke could be another mans nightcap.

Jesla likes this.
  3. zirrow

zirrow Member

Personally, I like the heavier blends late at night (plus my wife has usually dozed off on the sofa, so I don't have to hear about the smell of a few of them - she is NOT a Balkan Flake fan).
    London Mix (though I'm partial to that anytime)
    Nightcap
    Balkan Flake

For a pipe, I like something on the larger side with a bend in it.

EDIT: I realize London Mix isn't terribly heavy, it's just a toby I'll take damn near any time.

Jesla likes this.
  4. NBPipe

NBPipe Member

Oom paul! I forgot about those! Is it the amount of bend that makes that shape an oom paul? Thanks for the recommendations so far.

5. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

A good Med-Lat of your choice........

6. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

I'll go London Mix as well so that's 2.

7. NBPipe

NBPipe Member

DH London Mix, correct?

Also learned that an Oom Paul was named after the first President of South Africa, whose nickname was "Oom Paul," or "Uncle Paul."

8. CalPiper

CalPiper Member

There is a good description of the shape on the SP glossary page.
    www.smokingpipes.com/information/glossary/

9. zirrow

zirrow Member

Indeed - great stuff!

10. DanielO

DanielO Member

Not to be HORRIBLY obvious, but McClelland PM Pipe really does go well in the PM. It's supposed to be a Nightcap replacement, but it doesn't burn a whole lot like Nightcap to me.

I am glad I can smoke Lats again. For a couple of months in there anything with Latakia in it bit me something horrible. I don't know what the deal was. Perhaps the VaPer gnomes infected me with a virus so I could only smoke their tobaccos. Yeah, that must be it....

Ol Brokedik likes this.
  11. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

My last smoke of the evening is around two a.m. My pipe will be a half bent briar or meerschaum. My smoke will be anything with latakia.

I consider myself fortunate because I can smoke any one of twenty tobaccos and get real enjoyment. I don't limit myself to specific types or brands for any time of day or night. I don't make this out to be rocket science.

Ol Brokedik.

Rewster66, WVDAVE, gunsmoke and 4 others like this.
  12. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

13. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

Yeah, a good Burley in a crooked pipe!:sh:

14. Capt

Capt Active Member

It mostly depends on what nightcap I pour. Scotch, it's usually a Latakia blend. Whisky, Dram Buie, or Grand Marnier a VA, a Crown and Coke, pretty much anything! Tonight it was a Crown and Coke with some LTF.

15. NBPipe

NBPipe Member

Hm. One thing is for sure... A bent, stout pipe is the way to go.

Additionally, the drink of choice is an equally important factor! Based on my noobie analysis, it sounds like you fellars enjoy a robust smoke at the end of the day. Perhaps a bent pipe, a rich, satisfying smoke and an equally robust beverage is the way to go!

16. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

I like the stronger stuff before checking out. Sometimes 1792 but often a lat bomb of one sort or another. The pipe?? Depends on what is available. Usually one of the larger bowls for the last smoke of the day.

zirrow likes this.
  17. Capt Ahab

Capt Ahab Member

c & d autumn evening is a good smoke before bed. Also Hal O' the Wynd goes quite well in the evening if you want something with a little more strength behind it.

Ol Brokedik likes this.
  18. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I don't think I really have a favorite late night blend, but if Al-Kydee terrorists held me at gun point and made me cough-up a name it would probably be MacB Mixture Flake.

19. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Well, heck, that's easy. Ennerdale.

:)

jpberg likes this.
  20. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

I smoke a bulk blend from my local B & M (brick & mortar) shop during the day but I smoke a really good blend as a "treat" just before I go to bed. A blend such as Pembroke, Presby, Plumcake, McConnell's Oriental or MacBaren's Latakia works for me. A bourbon & coke or a whisky sour goes with it nicely. After a stressful day of meeting deadlines the combination helps me to relax.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.