Best pipe lighters

Discussion in 'Pipe Accessories' started by jhguthlac, May 18, 2013.

1. nowsharing

nowsharing Member

Warranty service is now being done by Music City Marketing for $9. I bought a very old broken Old Boy on ebay very cheaply and sent it in for service. It came back and works beautifully.

That said, I also love my $20 Vertigo by Lotus Briar pipe, and I'm not afraid to leave home with it. They too offer a lifetime warranty, but by the time you send it in and pay for return shipping plus a repair fee, it's not really worth the time.

I also have a Zippo pipe lighter with the Thunderbird insert, but due to the shape of the case it leaks gas when closed. I have to store it with the lid off and the flip up on the insert, and obviously I can't carry it around with me. They also have a warranty, but it's my second to date, and I'm not in a big hurry to get another crappy replacement.

dBear likes this.

2. SidStavros

SidStavros Member

Turn the cap to the left and look inside,i can not describe it exactly but you will see a "blade",you know for what reason is there.With a long nose plier or the "nose" of a screwdriver move it a little bit and make the test. I had the same problem and i solve it this way but as we have say in many topics those inserts are not reliable in the flame height anyway. :fpalm:

nowsharing and dBear like this.
  3. nowsharing

nowsharing Member

Thanks for the tip!

I just played with that for a while and I see how it adjusts. It is still leaking though when closed, I believe because of the angle of the case itself. Moving that tab helps to tighten/loosen it, but it's still being slightly depressed when the case is shut. I play around with it some more and will post back if I get it fixed.

dBear likes this.
  4. SidStavros

SidStavros Member

Remove the Thunderbird sticker,maybe that pushes the insert to the zippo case a little.Clean the area with alcohol and use some high grit sandpaper on left-right of the insert.Clean the case also,then the insert will fit better.

nowsharing and dBear like this.
  5. Lucky Duck

Lucky Duck Member

My favorite lighter is my Colibri Connaught. I have the polished chrome model. It's a refillable butane lighter that ha never failed me.

dBear likes this.
  6. cigrmaster

cigrmaster Member

I have had my Old Boy Briar lighter for 13 years and no issues. Yes it does not work great in a strong breeze, but it is certainly not useless outside in mild conditions. I have a zippo pipe lighter for strong wind conditions but I really dislike the flame. I recently bought an IM Corona Pipe Master which has the electronic ignition and I really like it so far. The tamper is longer than the Old Boy and it holds a bunch of fuel. I would never recommend a Lotus product and I had two vectors that were knock offs of the old boy and neither one lasted more than a month. Luckily my local b/m took them back and gave me credit, they just fell apart, cheapest lighters I ever encountered. One thing I have also learned is that there are no better flints than the IM Corona brand. The Zippo flints are absolute garbage in comparison. The IM Corona flints last 10 times longer, do not get misshapen and are inexpensive. I made the mistake of trying the Zippo flints in my Old Boy and what a pain it was.

SidStavros and dBear like this.
  7. phatdaddynxn

phatdaddynxn Member

zippo pipe lighter or matches, anything else and you get a swift kick in the rear around here.

inkybat likes this.
  8. SidStavros

SidStavros Member

http://www.4noggins.com/im-corona-old-boy-flints-with-brush.aspx
    Thank you sir for the info,i didn't knew it. :th1:

dBear likes this.
  9. JHeiliger

JHeiliger Member

Old boy... Unless its windy, and then zippo is king!

dBear likes this.
  10. vmfa314

vmfa314 Member

Im surprised no one has brought up Xikar lighters. I have their old boy knock off and after a year of using it the flame adjustment no longer works its permanetly on blowtorch and the ring that holds the flint tube became loose and fell off. I did jusy buy a Xicar scribe which Im really liking if a bit different. The scribe is not good for wind but I do have my zippo and let it burn for a couple of seconds and I get no fuel taste.
    Mack

dBear likes this.
  11. LutzSpearo

LutzSpearo Member

I've had the Peterson pipe lighter (the one that looks like an Old Boy) for 3-4 months now, and I love it. Last night I was sitting on a hotel balcony smoking and talking with my wife, who got me the lighter for my birthday, and I told her that I couldn't imagine lighting a pipe without it now. It's well-made, makes it easy to light even wide bowl pipes just right, does it without burning my fingers like bics sometimes do, last weeks between fills, and looks great as well. I hope it stands the test of time, because that's the only other criteria I can imagine that makes a great pipe lighter.

inkybat and dBear like this.
  12. inkybat

inkybat Member

Zippo or matches. I really want to adapt my zippo into a sideways lighting pipe lighter....

13. mecompco

mecompco Active Member

From what I understand, you can send it to Zippo and they will install a free pipe insert. OR, buy a new pipe Zippo on Amazon for $14.95 and steal the pipe insert from it.

inkybat likes this.
  14. JKenP

JKenP Member

A while back I was on Ebay and saw this weird pipe lighter. Weird and Me -- a match made in heaven. I had a Colibri that I used for year. This ugly duckling has been my goto lighter for a while. I seldom use the snorkel feature. Sorry the second is fuzzy but you get the idea.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

JustKyle2711 and dBear like this.
  15. vmfa314

vmfa314 Member

Coleman has the same type of lighter I saw it on website but i dont remember where.
    Mack

16. vmfa314

vmfa314 Member

Just saw the Coleman one for 12.95 on the field supply website. Im sure there are others that have it also.

JKenP likes this.
  17. inkybat

inkybat Member

Wow! Thanks, I had no idea that Zippo did that. Will contact them this week.

18. SidStavros

SidStavros Member

[​IMG]

I have one like this,you press the black handle and the flame comes out from the nozzle. :byg:

TWolf, Rockbass and dBear like this.
  19. JKenP

JKenP Member

Went over to fieldsupply.com and saw they are closing them out for $12.95. They are weird looking, I'll admit. But, mine works like a champ. I'd have to say my best lighter and I have close to a dozen. Had to buy a spare.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
    dBear likes this.
  20. phatdaddynxn

phatdaddynxn Member

I have this exact lighter, the spark mechanism quit on me after about 8 monthes. its a good lighter while it lasts tho

JKenP likes this.