Best pipe lighters

Discussion in 'Pipe Accessories' started by jhguthlac, May 18, 2013.

1. SidStavros

SidStavros Member

The majority of piezoelectric lighters won't last long,you can read it in the topic about them.

2. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

Sadly this is the way many piezo-electric butane lighters end up. This is a Xikar Resource--oh yes just send them back and get another. Just how many do you have to send back until you get one that lasts longer than a couple months. I cannot even begin to state just how dissatified I am with the Xikar Resource. JUNK--pure JUNK.

[​IMG]

JKenP likes this.
  3. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

Do yourselves a favor--if you want a lighter that will stand the test of time--get a Zippo or an Imco--lighter fuel and flints--simple and reliable. The lighter I have pictured above will NOT be going back this time. Its my show piece to those who will ask--"What do you think of piezo-electric butane lighters?"---the answer is in my above post--JUNK:thdn::mad::mad::csmile:

leonidas likes this.
  4. vmfa314

vmfa314 Member

I am actually so much better luck with the Xikar scribe I got its so freaking simple unlike their old boy copy which I have 2 of and 2 have to go back to them. I agree that piezo lighters while convenient will not last and become erratic after a short time then are only good for throwing at things you wish to chase away. I love my zippos more and more but for charring the scribe has been my go to lighter.
    Mack

dBear likes this.
  5. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I've gotten less picky, and now just use anything that generates a flame. I'll use matches if there's no wind, a butane if there is wind, my Zippo when I'm in the mood, and a Bic while in the car. They're all good to me...
    :bing:

pacificflows and leonidas like this.
  6. ryan65

ryan65 Member

my favorite lighter:

[​IMG]

Eric Pierson, Puffstone and dBear like this.
  7. JKenP

JKenP Member

As VMFA said, similar with a coleman logo are being closed out at fieldsupply.com. I picked up a spare. It has been a reliable lighter for me.

Doesn't Calibri have a repair service? I thought they dd. I guess the more reliable lighters are flint but I always ran out of flint at the worst moments. Might make sense to pick up a couple of those cheap knockoff Old Boys though. I've got 4 Xikar laying around waiting to send into their repair. They are lifetime warranted but take a crap all the time. They don't repair; they just send you a new one. If I was smart, I would probably pick up one of those various old boy knock offs on ebay. I used one a friend had to light with and it seemed clumsy to use though.

8. ChristTiger

ChristTiger Active Member

Zippo pipe lighter

SidStavros likes this.
  9. SidStavros

SidStavros Member

10. jediknight129

jediknight129 Member

Bought a new lighter tis butane and heavy it has pipetools in it called a silvermatch im loving it.

inkybat likes this.
  11. SidStavros

SidStavros Member

12. jediknight129

jediknight129 Member

No mate this one is kinda like the porsche ones with intergrated tools.

13. liquidsky

liquidsky New Member

hi, ihow long between refills does the jifeng holds?

jdto likes this.
  14. umfunix

umfunix Active Member

Zippo. Just hate it if I fire up a lighter and it takes more than one click to get the fire going. Zippo ignites first time every time!

jdto and dBear like this.
  15. muddler

muddler Member

Zippo for me every time. I spent a lot of money buying a Peterson lighter (old boy knock off). It's just incredibly temperamental. Can't be bothered - it's lying in a drawer. Zippos are great because they work.

16. jdto

jdto Active Member

It depends on a few factors, such as how often I'm smoking, the wind and whether I'm smoking something that needs lots of re-lights. The best guess is about once a week to ten days. I know the only thing that's certain is that the Old Boy lasted a lot longer and gave a lot more consistent flame.

In the winter, I usually use my Zippo.

liquidsky, SidStavros and dBear like this.
  17. jhelms

jhelms Active Member

I use a 1940s Nimrod. I bought it on ebay and it was in bad shape. I cleaned it up and refurbed it. It is a great lighter...it uses a lot of lighter fluid but it is really neat to use.

soonersoftail, Skrymr and dBear like this.
  18. Mike Stanley

Mike Stanley Member

I had a Lotus L11 which worked well for over five years. Not bad for under $70.00. It was a gift. I bought a Vertigo which is made by Lotus, I believe and it worked well for over a year. Twenty dollars from a local B&M. Not bad cost/style/price ratio I guess. My Zippo pipe lighter works well of course. The propensity to be out of fuel when I need it and the inability to do a thorough false light relegates it to my car with a box of wooden matches. I try to fill it once a week and when I remember, it's good to go.

I have owned three Old Boy lighters. The first two walked away but this current one stats at the side of my lazy boy. If you have a hundred bucks to spend on a lighter, I highly recommend these, as do many pipe smokers. All said, I prefer good old wooden matches.
    Mike S.

dBear likes this.
  19. rigormootis

rigormootis Member

I use matches whenever possible (plain old wooden kitchen type). IMCO, Zippo, Bic otherwise (whatever's handy). I have looked longingly a Old Boys and the new Peterson copies, though....

20. Greasy Neale

Greasy Neale Member