Best pipe lighters

Discussion in 'Pipe Accessories' started by jhguthlac, May 18, 2013.

1. SidStavros

SidStavros Member

What brand is it? I don't know the name in the bottom.

2. Greasy Neale

Greasy Neale Member

IM Corona. I used to be a matches guy, but my Small Diamond Room 101 IM Corona has never let me down and I really like it.

SidStavros and dBear like this.
  3. liquidsky

liquidsky New Member

Hi, how long between refills for the jifeng on regular use?

4. soonersoftail

soonersoftail Member

I bought a Vertigo Governor when I started up with the pipe again. A couple of months ago. It's never had a real steady flame and now it's getting finicky about lighting. I saw a nice '50s Nimrod on ebay and scarfed it up. It sounds like they're pretty bullet proof.

5. liquidsky

liquidsky New Member

Sorry didnt see the previous post its been answered.

6. dBear

dBear Active Member

I'm glad Liquidsky bumped your post. How is that Jifeng holding up now after 8 months or so?

7. SidStavros

SidStavros Member

Until jdto answers, if you want a third opinion: i have him 1.5 year,i use him every day for 1-3 pipe smokes,no problem at all and needs one refill per 6-7 days. I am extremely pleasured with this lighter!

dBear likes this.
  8. ukpipesmoker

ukpipesmoker Member

It's great to see the Zippo cropping up so much as a good and reliable lighter in this thread.
    I really like mine (pipe lighter style) and would recommend every pipe smoker have one. Only downside is the frequency of having to refuel but it only takes a moment and I quite like the ritual of it. I love the way the whole of the lighter (case and all) bursts into flames with a whoosh when overfilled.

dBear and inkybat like this.
  9. dBear

dBear Active Member

Thanks, Sid! That's what I was looking to know. I'm going to go get me one of those then. I love my cheap little plastic Imgo, but I want a (reliable) fancier lighter without having to spend the bucks on an Old Boy.

SidStavros likes this.
  10. dBear

dBear Active Member

LOL! Me too!

11. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

I like my good old reliable Zippo with the pipe insert and my Imco also. I have others such as my benlow-Golmet and one that looks just like it--these I use at home as they are not so easy to come buy. The thing they ALL have in common is that they are flint and petrol fluid lighters--they NEVER fail to light. I have NO use for a lighter using butane other than the Bics and cheapy ones. Butane presents problems in frigid weather outdoors. Also as many have seen in my posts--I absolutely dtest Peizo electric butane lighters--failures on these are simply not a question as to if they will fail--but when. I wish Ol' Boy lighters had a petrol fluid and flint lighter--maybe they do--I don't know--I never checked--those I would consider. Butane----nah--outdoors the slightest puff of air and--out goes the flame. Just not a lighter for me.

dBear likes this.
  12. SidStavros

SidStavros Member

You are right but some people smoke in rooms or in Cafe that there is no problem with wind,for outdoor of course don't worth. Some guys have problem with the smell of Zippo liquid and i don't know any odorless alternatives.

dBear likes this.
  13. ukpipesmoker

ukpipesmoker Member

I avoided buying a Zippo for a long time due only to the comments made about the smell of the fuel. I often wonder whether, in many cases, this is just stigma pedalled buy the smoking purists (there are many within the cigar smoking world) or it really was detrimental to the overall taste and aroma of tobacco. To be sure, as with all areas in life, there are those who are resolute in their beliefs regardless of ever researching anything, trying anything or doing anything, and I'm sure the same is true regarding the Zippo lighter. "Oh, I never use a Zippo because so and so said your pipe tastes like a fuel pump nozzle."
    Actually, it doesn't. You can smell the residual fluid when you first flip the cap but it burns off after a moment and does not taint the tobacco. I know this because I bought one and tried it and was objective about it, and was pleased to find a lighter for about£15.00 which was simple, has classic looks, and works every time, without fail, with one strike of the flint wheel.
    However, if the smell of the fuel alone is enough to ruin smoking a pipe, then that is very different.

inkybat, dBear and JRobert like this.
  14. SidStavros

SidStavros Member

I have use Zippo in the past for my cigars in 90's and now for my pipes,the old version of Zippo fluid has an awful smell but the new is much better. Still after those years sometimes in the morning when i bring the lighter close to pipe i smell something bad,i also do the same when someone beside me lights his Zippo for his cigarette.I always have a Zippo in my pipe set front of me but if those inserts worked good this lighter would never leave my right hand.

dBear likes this.
  15. soonersoftail

soonersoftail Member

I bought a vintage Nimrod on ebay a few days ago. I had reservations about the fuel taste using a Zippo or Nimrod. The Nimrod will be back on ebay shortly. My faborite tobacco is Adirondack Gold from Cup 'O Joes. It usually has a wonderfull vanilla and spice flavor from first light to ash. With the Nimrod the fuel taste killed the vanilla and spice flavor. The overriding taste is lighter fuel. And I tried Ronsenol, Zippo and plain Naptha. I just bought a genuine Old Boy online. (Don't tell my wife).

dBear likes this.
  16. SidStavros

SidStavros Member

Oh,that's very sad and unfortunately cannot be fixed.

17. AlexanderM

AlexanderM Member

I just got a new pipe zippo after suffering some frustration with matches. There is only one brand available on the market here and they're short and crap. Burn down too quick for me to light my pipe decently, I can go through half a box during a smoke.
    Obviously, I'm not an expert in packing and lighting a pipe, but every other match shouldn't burn down to scorch my fingers after a second or two.

dBear likes this.
  18. SidStavros

SidStavros Member

In the market especially in Germany you can find matches little longer than the usual.Those are perfect for pipes. I use normal matches in pipe smoking for years,maybe you should improve a bit your technique. :)

19. AlexanderM

AlexanderM Member

Don't get me wrong, I can make do with matches - but the Zippo is so much more practical.

20. SidStavros

SidStavros Member

You can not compare them,the matches are a part of traditional but if the Zippo "suits to you" go for it.