Best Place For Me To Cellar

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by User3940, Apr 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Right Now I keep all my samples and bulk tobacco in zip lock bags then in a sealed tupperware container in the garage on a shelf over my workbench. This is where my pipes are and where I primarily smoke my pipes. My sealed tins are on the shelf as well, but not in the tupperware.

I live in the high deserts of New Mexico where temperatures can get pretty warm during the summer. Since the garage is not air conditioned it can get pretty warm in there, but dry heat, not humid.

Would it be better for me to move my tobacco into the house where I have evaporative cooling. And would it prolong the life of the unsealed tins if they were kept in the refrigerator?

2. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member

In my basement. Well, someone had to say it.

Other than that, I'd be inclined to take the tobacco out of the garage and keep it somewhere a little cooler if possible. Main concern would be the heating and cooling, expanding and contracting the tins as well as accelerating the growth of any moulds or other nasties if you leave the tins in the garage.

WWhermit, dwaugh and MikeInMaine like this.
  3. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

I would go with mason jars wherever you keep the tobacco. Even in Ohio, which is fairly humid, tobacco in ziplocks dries out very fast.

WWhermit, Old Codger and Jeebs like this.
  4. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

Strickly my opion....in mason jars in the house.

5. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Mason jars it is. Thanks folks...as always.

LifeOfRiley and BradNTX like this.
  6. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Good move. Keeping tobacco in temps over 80* can cause changes in flavor. If you regularly hit over 100*, no telling what you would find after a couple of months. Your FVF may be more like Blackwoods Flake.

PipeSimmo and Old Codger like this.
  7. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

Just like everyone else, mine are in maison jars in a cupboard in my bar in the basement. Cool an dark are the best conditions.

BradNTX likes this.
  8. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

You mean smell like ketchup? :eek:

BradNTX and Alan Dye like this.
  9. bosun

bosun Active Member

Let me guess. You put an oar over your shoulder, and when someone asked "What's that?", that is where you settled down (old maritime joke). "high deserts of New Mexico" for a Coastie indeed! Inside and jarred up. Rain stopped here after five days, sun came out, then went away...April in beautiful Michigan!

10. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Yep, odd for a Coastie to be in the desert. I retired from a maritime career and had a chance to start another career, but had to relocate to the New Mexico to do it. I saw the opportunity for a second retirement so took the job. Now I retire from this career in two years and it's off to Oregon I go. People always ask me......what are you doing here? I just laugh. :xd:

11. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I think the most important consideration when storing tobacco is to avoid severe changes in temperature.

12. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Are you saying that I should not move all my tobacco from the desert to the coast. :laff:

13. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

No, I'm saying you should keep it in a controlled environment like your house...:xd:

14. User3940

User3940 Active Member

But my house is out of control. Now what do I do? :D

15. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Send it to Berg for safe keeping...:rofl:

16. bosun

bosun Active Member

Oregon - good choice. I wanted to end up in the Pacific NW but all of my final tour billet choices were the gulf coast so I stayed in the Great Lakes..

17. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Were you Navy or Coast Guard? I spent all my time in the Pacific Northwest with the majority of that on ships out of Kodiak, Alaska doing Federal LE and SAR in the Bering Sea. All those crab boats on Deadliest Catch, been on most of em and Dutch Harbor was almost my second home. Memories of drinking in the Elbow Room, the nations roughest bar.....scary, but fun (at times).

18. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

Cool and Dry, mine's in my wine cellar.

19. bosun

bosun Active Member

Coast Guard. 13 months at Yakutat (Ocean Cape Lorsta), couple of years at Cape D (early 70's), two other small boat stations (N.Y & Nantucket). Two tours Eagle, five years on a 180', ended up piloting a desk at Gru Detroit..just in for the quick bucks..27 years was enough (g)

20. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

Mason jars, Mason jars, Mason jars! And out of the hot garage and into some part of the house! If the house is too small, do what most of the rest of us has done and build an extension off of your house!:ohyh:

MikeInMaine likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.