Best way to smoke Petersons 3

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Goat, Oct 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goat

Goat Active Member

Ruff sent me a sample of this stuff and I've been wanting to give her a try. I got a good sized chunk of it. Never tried baccy in this form before. Whats the best way to load it into my pipe?

Should I slice off flakes and then fold and stuff? or just cut off a hunk and rub it out?

2. Johnny

Johnny Member

I slice mine really thin with a really sharp paring knife and rub it out. Seems to work pretty well for me

Mington and Monkeyshine like this.
  3. Monkeyshine

Monkeyshine Member

That's exactly how I do it.

Mington and Johnny like this.
  4. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

+1 to the above 2 posts

5. Goat

Goat Active Member

Ok, thanks. Gunna slice me off some here in a bit. Thanks again.

6. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

7. David Emond

wow i just finished watching the video. I didnt know they had tobacco in a block like that. I wants some right now lol. It brings your preperation to a hole new level. You really have to prepare your tobacco with this one. Would probably make you enjoy it even more.

8. krusty

krusty Active Member

Yes

As noted above, thin flakes are best for me as well. Fully rubbed out works at times so by all means try it both ways Goat!

9. krusty

krusty Active Member

And we have just witnessed yet another onset of TAD (-;

David Emond likes this.
  10. David Emond

Yeah well i just found out that its burley dominant. Burley and I dont like each other lol.

Morse likes this.
  11. krusty

krusty Active Member

I'm persnickity myself when it comes to many Burleys David and trust me when I say the blending and pressing of the Burley and Va's in this is, well, in a word, Perfect!

David Emond likes this.
  12. David Emond

cool thanks, and what about the peterson tropical toppings, is it present in this blend?

13. krusty

krusty Active Member

In no way, shape or form.

David Emond likes this.
  14. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I slice it as thin as I am able, rub it a bit usually, and load it up and puff away. I find it best in a meerschaum pipe as a point of personal preference. It has a very mild fruity topping, but nothing which will intrude on your enjoyment of a fairly natural tobacco flavor. It is less in-your-face with the topping than University Flake in both the tin note and the flavor and aroma once burning. Actually, especially in the tin note. I find it on the stronger side of medium. Be warned, if it dries out a bit before slicing, it can be hard as any plug and tough to slice up

15. krusty

krusty Active Member

Say Goat, forgot to mention the cube cut works well with this plug.
    Posting here tonight I had no choice but to go upstairs and get a bowl.
    Thickish flakes, cut into strips p'raps 1/8" or 3/16" wide, then the strips in turn cut again about 1/8" making for a pile of flat little squares or rectangles. Darn near smokes itself this way (-:

Mington likes this.
  16. Goat

Goat Active Member

Ok.....I sliced off a flake, a little thicker than I wanted so I wasn't really able to fold and stuff so I rubbed the piss out of it and loaded it up. I'm smoking it in a new(ish) meer and at first I wasn't to impressed. But I have to admit, I'm about half way through the bowl and it's starting to grow on me. It's alot stronger than I was expecting but not as strong as 1792. No bite and a good kick of vitamin N.
    Right now I give 3 snorkes out of 5 but suspect if I get my slicing method perfected that rating will increase.

Im not detecting any of that fruity flavor that I've heard others talk about, just a nice pure tobacco taste. Burley seems to be the dominate but with a good heavy draw and snork I pick up the grassy virginias. Very interesting stuff.

17. hansel

hansel Member

i my self am a big fan of thin sliced/ then rubbed out. is it me or is there a real slight topping on this stuff? like super slight. the cube method works well to. i like this stuff more than JNP when i comes to fresh right out of the tin. but i think JNP will age better

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.