1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

BIG Pipes Vs Small pipes

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Polymoog, Sep 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cakeanddottle

cakeanddottle Member

two inch chamber depth is a Burley pipe for me. I'd get 60+ minutes on a bowl of Burley in a pipe that size. I'd smoke a pipe that size full of Va all evening, long past the point of enjoyment. Sounds like you are attacking the pipe instead of calmly sipping on it. Your tobacco is not delivering it's magic when it's burning hot and fast like that, so it sounds to me like you need to work on your technique til a slower pace becomes automatic instead of something you have to think about. You will enjoy your evening pipe more, your tobacco will taste much better, there is just no downside toward training yourself into a leisurely approach toward your pipe smoking. It will seem like work at first, but before you know it it will be automatic.

2. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

When I read my post back to myself, it sounded argumentative. I do not mean for it to sound that way, as I greatly appreciate your response and advice.
    I thought I could be smoking too fast, too, so I quit clenching and just hold the pipe now (since the last post). I still had close to a thirty minute smoke. The airway is large, and seems to produce a LOT of smoke. I put the stinger back in, and am going to see if a little bit of restriction will stop the chimney effect.
    When I smoke, the pipe stays warm, and does not get hot. I'm not getting tongue bite, either. When I started smoking a pipe, I had all the bad habits you listed, as well as packing too tight. I packed so tightly, I put down the pipe for a few years. I am wondering if I am now packing too loose, and not having enough tobacco in the pipe to last longer. Perhaps I didn't change the pace I smoke at, but the packing, to avoid the bite and keep it lit. Only one or two small embers stay lit, I let it die down if it has much more than that.

Thank you! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.