1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Birth Year Pipe

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Austin, Dec 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Austin

Austin Member

Some of you may cringe but I would love a birth year pipe...1990 :bbaby:

I like the idea of it being a Dunhill or Ashton, but would settle for something that is great quality and catches my eye.

2. rondel65

rondel65 Misplaces Lighters

For some time I wanted a birth year Dunhill but my focus has shifted to a birth year car. A 1965 Mustang. One of these days.......

sillyoldbear, bubbagump and Rockbass like this.
  3. Rockbass

Rockbass Member

Your birth year, is your birth. Not much you can do to change that. Yes it is cool, so get it soon and it won't be as hard to find, as it will be fifty years from now.

PyrateMate and rondel65 like this.
  4. Austin

Austin Member

You're right. I've always thought I have an old soul, and my wife agrees. I will have to convince her that I "need" it for a birthday gift :)

Rockbass likes this.
  5. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

Yup. Get looking for one now. I'd like a birth year pipe one of these days (1981 here), but they're few and far between in the shapes that I like (bent).

sillyoldbear likes this.
  6. rondel65

rondel65 Misplaces Lighters

Yeah, listen to Rockbass. I saw 65 Dunhill sell in excess of $700.oo dollars last year. Get your birth year pipe now while it still may be reasonably priced.

Rockbass likes this.
  7. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I wonder what would happen if you googled "1990(insert brand name here) pipe of the year"?

sillyoldbear likes this.
  8. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

They didn't make pipes back when I was born. You still dug a hole in the earth, crammed it full of tobacco leaves and sucked through a reed.

OlCob, houncer, Doc Sixstring and 4 others like this.
  9. Austin

Austin Member

I have done this a few times. I have found some I like but am somewhat turned away by prices. I figure in a year or so, I will be able to convince the wife or just spring for one myself. In the meantime, I have a few months till my birthday to possibly lock one down and send the link to her.

10. CoreyR

CoreyR Active Member

Let me see if I can google mine...."dunhill 18...:old:

Austin, PyrateMate and nicktrap like this.
  11. PyrateMate

PyrateMate New Member

Aye Lads, To join this discussion on me birth year takes us back to 1955.:old: Dunhill 1st choice followed by Peterson and GBD. :drly: They have got much harder to find if at all. :(

Austin likes this.
  12. Austin

Austin Member

Hey my father was born in 1949 so you are still young in my book! :)

PyrateMate likes this.
  13. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

Well first the screen would turn black, then you'd see a credit card option stating...........

jpberg likes this.
  14. mecompco

mecompco Active Member

It makes no sense, but I would love to have a '64 Dunny (and a '64 1/2 'Stang would be cool, too). Come on Powerball numbers!

jpberg and rondel65 like this.
  15. Stinger4me

Stinger4me Member

They are not Dunhill but I do have some Kaywoodie Hand Made pipes from my birth year in the 40's, inherited.

browny likes this.
  16. sillyoldbear

sillyoldbear Active Member

Search engines are made for that stuff. All you'd need to do is type in "1990 * pipe of year".

17. sillyoldbear

sillyoldbear Active Member

'81 here too. I have the same issue, hell I wouldn't even know what to get. The only pipes I collect are Grabow Viscounts.

jpberg likes this.
  18. BernardLerring

BernardLerring Member

It never occured to me to look for a birth year pipe until reading this. Now I'm wondering if I can find one that will go with my birth year Buick Riv'.

19. SteveNH

SteveNH Active Member

Just curious......What is the definition of "pipe of the year"? Is this the manufacturer's choice, or is it the one that sold the most that year?

OBro likes this.
  20. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

A lot of maunfacturers designate a shape and finish, an possibly a fancy tamper or some other doo-dad, box it up and present as "Brand X" pipe of the year. It's a sales thing, and it works. I know guys who are actively working on collecting these sets.

POY came up in this thread as a simple way to find a pipe made in your birthyear, since most outfits aren't good at including year of manufacture in their nomenclature.

SteveNH and BernardLerring like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.