Bite

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by BluesGuy, Apr 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BluesGuy

BluesGuy Member

Thought while I was waiting on my order from pipes and cigars of the McClelland 5100 Red Cake I would pick up some other Virginia to try. Bought a pin of McC Virginia Woods from what is the only B&M I have found in Ft Worth. Damn stuff bites like crazy.....I am beginning to wonder if I'm just one of those people that Virginia bites. Will wait till I get the 5100 to make a final judgment.

2. Marc

Marc Active Member

I would recommend you give tobaccos right out of the tin a few minutes of air time first before smoking. McClelland's Virginia Woods is an outstanding Virginia blend but must be smoked properly, you cannot huff and puff Virginias or Virginia blends like Virginia Woods and not pay the price with your tongue. A quality Virginia like McClelland’s will smoke cool and dry when smoked properly, work on technique. I am a firm believer that tobaccos don't bite, only tobaccos smoked to hot and too fast. Endeavor to persevere! The reward will be well worth it.

3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

In general, I agree with Marc. The tobaccos with a reputation for bite are generally just over-puffed. Yes, they will bite if you try too hard. If you smoke at a pace where the bowl is lukewarm at most, almost every tobacco will calm down and be smokeable.

HOWEVER, I also believe that certain people just have chemical incompatiblities with certain types and brands and even certain products. For example, I smoke the dreaded Mac Baren tobaccos with ease, but I cannot finish a bowl of Plumcake. It treats me foully no matter what. Fresh, dry, fast, slow.... it kills me.

So it could just be that virginias are not going to do it for you, BG, or it could be that it's a technique thing. My only advice is to dry out that Virginia Woods for a half hour or so before you smoke it, and smoke it real slow. If it still bites you, shelf it for awhile and try it again in six months, cuz you never know.

4. Marc

Marc Active Member

Damn! Forgot about Plum cake, that one nips the hell out of me also, so I amend my previous statement. :eek:

5. BluesGuy

BluesGuy Member

I will see if I'm smoking it to fast...though I do not think so as I think I'm smoking it very slow. But you guys are the experts. Like I said I am not ready to give up just yet.

6. Marc

Marc Active Member

Way to go BluesGuy, keeep at it and give it a little air time usually 15 or 20 minutes will suffice for most McClelland blends out of the tin. I also think you will find the 5100 Red Cake more user friendly when it comes to Viriginia tobaccos. It's what I always recommend for someone wanting to try Virginias for the first time. It's a smooth, sweet smoking all natural Virginia.

7. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

I'd strongly second the opinion that some types of tobacco don't suit certain individuals and it's to do with how their body chemistry reacts with the chemical composition of certain blends. I have never had this problem with a virginia, an oriental or a balkan blend but I have nevr been able to smoke the old long running British standard Three Nuns without instant tongue bite - even sipping it in a meer or a cob.

The doyen of British Hillwalkers and outdoor broadcasters, A Wainwright would smoke nothing else in his trademark Falcon and in his memoires records sitiing up all night on top of a Lakeland Fell waiting for dawn to come up keeping himself awake smoking Three Nuns so it's never been the fact that I smoked it in a Falcon outdoors, or that my tecnique was off - it was simply that I reacted badly to that particular Virginia Perique mixture,

Gerry

8. Marc

Marc Active Member

It's the Perique, I can't handle that stuff either! In any quanity! :eek:

9. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Jeez, Marc, ya don't like Perique OR Latakia??? Why bother smoking a pipe at all? :)

10. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

LOL exactly.

11. Neuromancer

Neuromancer Member

Virginia's tend to bite me pretty bad too, but I got used to them and the flavors are fantastic...let the stuff dry out as much as possible (without letting it go to dust) and smoke it real slow...it really does work...now I can smoke a VA and get very little bite...also, drinking tea with a pipeful of VA will help too, if you do experience a little bite...tobacco is alkaline, and teas have tannic acid in it so they counter each other...I especially like Twinnings Earl Grey when I'm smoking VA's...the bergamot (bitter orange) in Earl Grey adds a little more sweetness to the flavor of the VA...:)

12. Marc

Marc Active Member

My friends, Yinyang and Sasquatch,

I'm a Virginia purist :)

13. Marc

Marc Active Member

Excellent recommendation for a tea!

14. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Member

VA's would peel the skin out of my mouth when I first started.I had to learn to slow it down,and even now,I dont smoke it more than once a week.

15. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Member

Im with you on that,Marc.Those tobaccos are disghusting to me.I smoke a pipe for pleasure and enjoyment,and I cant get either of those from latakia or perique.Someone here got all pissed for me saying that one time,but it is what it is. :)

16. Marc

Marc Active Member

Some people just can't handle real tobacco and need to dress it up with all kinds of flavorings and spices, to each their own. https://pipesmokersforum.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/xd.gif

17. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I know of nothing more subjective than enjoyment of tobacco. I know a few people who have similar tastes, but there is always a divergence at some point.

I just happen to enjoy burning tires and a little pinch of fibreglass insulation goes a long way.

18. Young Gun

Young Gun Member

Do you mind sharing the name and location of this shop? I'm not too far from Fort Worth and I haven't been able to find anywhere that sells anything but "house blend" tobacco.

19. BluesGuy

BluesGuy Member

Actually it's Tobacco Lane. One in Downtown and the other in Northeast Mall.All there bulks are house blends but they do carry some tinned.

20. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Active Member

My first tin of tobacco when I started up again was Rob't McConnell Red Virginia and I got tongue bite that lasted three uncomfortable days. I kept at it and slowing down the smoking helped. Reeeeaaaallll slow. I tend more towards aromatics now, but it did teach me to smoke slowly so it was worth the burn. I probably still puff too constantly to take on the Red Virginia again but other VAs don't bother me. I like the tin so I might pick up another. There's something about the banker and the Indian chief sharing a smoke that suckers me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.