Black Cavendish

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by SittinNMyChairSmokin, May 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SittinNMyChairSmokin

SittinNMyChairSmokin Member

I had my first ever bowl of black cavendish (i think-it was pitch black) this evening. I've seen a few threads on the forums about them but have never really paid attention because of the odd dark look...i knew a terrible justification.

Any way I'm curios as to what exactly i was smoking, the blend was from Jerris Fine Wine and Tobaco in Colorado, the name was:

Black Coral
    A rich Green River Burley-based blend with a lip-smacking taste of real vanilla.

So...are there a million black cavendish blends out there similar to the many "cherry" or "straight Virginia" blends? I haven't seen much attention be paid to this new dark friend of mine...am i simply out of the loop?

Anyway, i was just curious if this blend sounds pretty typical of a black cavendish or what else they have to offer. Also, the leaf was cut outrageously fine...almost like pouring sugar into my pipe. I actually liked this aspect as it burned well and as i smoke pretty bent pipes i didn't have a problem sucking any through the stem.

What's your thoughts on this type of tobacco? Good, bad, nice change of pace?

Thanks,
    Brian

EDIT: Also, are there ghosting issues with this stuff or not? I see its burley based but the only other burley i've had was ready rubbed and a cloudy brown so i assume it different...right?

2. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

I suspect that what you have is a Lane or Altidus bulk blend that your local shop has bought wholesale and renamed.

3. Redone

Redone Member

I love black Cav and love it in mixes. I tried allot of it and really found most of it tasted the same,vanilla,sweet even a chocolate note. I then tried Smokers Pride BC that you get at smoke shops and some drug stores. IMO it is as good as any I have found if not better at 15.00 for 12oz US. The reviews from allot of others speak the same and it is a lane toby.
    I mix my own blend of SP BC with Latakia and its one of my #1 smokes called "Blacknight"

4. WillH

WillH Active Member

4Noggins has a bulk Black Cavendish! Never tried it but one never knows. Someone sent me a can of McClelland Navy Cavendish and as I recall it was not horrid! Might be worth a look?

Will

5. SittinNMyChairSmokin

Arkie: On second thought i've had a bowl of midnight smoke before...it was pretty flavorless. The stuff i had was a bit better but perhaps i had a bad bowl the first time around.

Redone: everything i read says they're all pretty much the same in flavor. This one had a hint of carmel in it as well.

Not being horrid is always a bonus when selecting tobaccos!

6. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I like a little black Cav in some of the aros I smoke.

7. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

I have a soft spot for black cavs and enjoy them from time to time. Even when I do smoke them it's usually mixed with something else rather than smoked straight. In my experience if something is called simply 'black cavendish' it will have that Captain Black taste and aroma- mild vanilla and toasted marshmallows. Wonderful room note. I like mixing it with other tobaccos, especially orientals. It lends a nice creaminess to the flavor and smoke. I haven't tried too many straight black cavs, so I'm not the guy for recommendations. Word around the forum though is that Smoker's Pride makes a very good one.

8. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

What you are smoking might be a version of Lane's BCA which I think is the best black cavendish out there. This one is soft, no bite, and smells good enough to eat.

9. Marc

Marc Active Member

McClelland Navy Cavendish is a Virginia tobacco, aged in dark Jamaican rum.

10. WillH

WillH Active Member

Ah! Shades of the other thread..How does it compare with Dark Star?

Will

11. Marc

Marc Active Member

Dark Star would be my preference, hands down!

12. WillH

WillH Active Member

Hummm. I'm in that " need a change mood"! The Peterson tobacco deal really damaged my security blanket. I'm going to give some Dark Star a try. If it turns out to be poo I'm going to blame you! It's been years sense I smoked any of that type of tobacco- perhaps it's time for a revisit!

No moderator Dan, I'm not starting a full scale experimentation phase, and it's not a lack of medication.

Will

13. SittinNMyChairSmokin

very interesting. Sounds like there's a few good ones out there i'll have to try.

14. Marc

Marc Active Member

If it turns out to be poo, send me the leftovers!:):):)

15. SittinNMyChairSmokin

Ok another question. I went to tobacco reviews.com and searched dark star; 2 blends showed up one by Just for Him and the other by McClelland, which is a broken flake. Is the just for him blend the Dark Star your referring to here?

16. Marc

Marc Active Member

Don't click on blends, click on brands, then McClelland.

17. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

That's the one, it's not a black cavendish, it's a VA. But a good one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.