1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Black Meer

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Burner, Mar 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Burner

Burner Member

Link to pic
    Here's a pic of a Ebay find an old black meerschaum pipe, presumably from the Isle of Man. Has no markings apart from the 'O' on the stem. Not seen one like it before.

2. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Did I start a trend with black meers? (I know someone else getting one too) :thumbsu:

3. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Sorry...can't load the image with this sloooooowwww pathetic dial-up. Sounds like a Mnx-style pipe though.

4. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Member

That's almost definitely a Laxley (Isle of Mann pipe) the symbol for the "Man" line of pipes is that astrological circle-arrow thingy so likely the arrow is polished off. The pipes they made for Peterson had that same black "geodesic" look only without the etched lines. I've seen a couple other pipes from that company that have the yellow lucite shank extension. The meerschaum comes from Africa (Tanzania specifically) and is oil treated to be a bit more durable. Some say that African meer is inferior to Turkish but I wouldn't necessarily agree. As for price on Ebay Man, Manx, Manxman typicaly range in the 20 - 40 dollar mark with the ones they made for Barling and Peterson averaging between in the 40 - 70 dollar range for lightly to moderately used estates.

5. jhe888

jhe888 Member

I've never seen a black one, though. The "panels" are a familiar look.

6. Coffee-Cup

Coffee-Cup Member

I have never seen a "Black Meerschaum" and is this a natural black meerschaum or is it processed to obtain this color? :dunno:

7. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All

Rural's just about summed it up. African meer is chemically the same as Turkish originally, though it can contain more impurities and be grey in it's natural state as opposed to white. African meers were dipped in hot oil as part of the manufacturing process, articially coloured often, and partially, at least calcined.

Laxey's used the Isle of Man Symbol often on their pipes - it's like a three leggged swastika with a foot instead of a bar at the end of the cross. I'm not an expert but I wonder if the pipe was actually made under either the Amboselli, Kiku, Jambo or Sportsman label in the then Tanganyika - that rustication does not look like it was made for the British Market.

I personally think African meers are excellent smokers and are more robust than their Turkish cousins. When I smoked meers I actually preferred the African variety,

Best as ever

Gerry

8. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Nice!

I own a black-stained meer. Fikri Baki made it, and used the same staining technique used by briar carvers. He studied with a few of them in order to better learn the physics of draft hole placement and sizing, so as to rid meers of their history of tight draws. The pipe is jet-black - looks like a briar. Smokes very well. There is no way a meer turns evenly black like this through smoking.

I like the panels on this one. Thanks for sharing!

9. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Cool! I like it, Burner. Hope it gives
    you many years of good smokes!

dp

10. Burner

Burner Member

Thank you for all the info guys - This place is like having experts on tap!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.