Black Pigtail

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by buistd, Dec 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buistd

buistd Sales Account

A couple of months ago I bought a couple of small packs of GH Black Pigtail. I was a little scared to smoke it as the reviews I read online warned of harsh taste, nicotine hammer to the head etc. etc. Tonight I couldn't decide what to smoke - I wanted something cool in the mouth and robust so thought I'd give the pigtail a try. Admittedly I'm only halfway through a small-ish bowl but the nicotine hasn't killed me yet. The taste is very good - deep, rich and earthy, to use a few tired cliches.

If you've been wanting to try this stuff, or similar, don't believe everything you read online; it's actually very good.

P.S. Old Ted and Ruffino - I'm not just saying this to prove that I'm old fart-worthy!

dmkerr and Old Ted like this.

2. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

:appl:praise be!......I've been saying similar things for years!:old:
    OT;)

3. buistd

buistd Sales Account

I'm still going with it. About 2/3 down now. Still not been sick. Still able to stand up. I can definitely feel that there is nicotine there but nothing savage. I have a tougher time with some C&D burley blends than this nicotine-wise (so far). Will report back when I, A) peel myself off the floor, or B) finish the pipe in a dignified manner.

4. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I read your review online and I'm gonna take your advice. :D

psquared and buistd like this.
  5. buistd

buistd Sales Account

It wasn't a review. It was an anti-review, giving anti-advice, which you are, of course, welcome to take.

6. dmkerr

Uh... ok... if it's anti-advice and I take it... um... so I should not not try it or I should not try it? And it was online so should I believe it and not not try it? Hmm... this is confusing...

Raffxr7 likes this.
  7. buistd

buistd Sales Account

It's obvious really. It is an anti-review, giving anti-advice, so you should, therefore, not try to not take it, and since it was online you should only not try to not take it with your computer connected to the internet, but unplugged at the wall. Easy.

psquared and dmkerr like this.
  8. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Oh!....let 'em continue the search for satisfaction among a myriad of blends - with stuff like that on hand.....there's no need to!;)
    OT:ohyh:

9. dmkerr

I am not not'nt going to not fall for that trick. I know what happens when I pull the plug! It makes the compu

10. buistd

buistd Sales Account

Just finished the bowl and I can definitely feel the nicotine. Think I would've struggled if I had five more minutes with it. Definitely one of the strongest blends I've had nicotine-wise but it makes for a very smooth smoke. I can see it being a problem if you're not used to nicotine in high doses though so perhaps the warnings are somewhat justified. Taste-wise though, there was absolutely nothing harsh about it.

11. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I wonder how similar it is to Black XX? I feel the same way... in a small bowl, it is really good, every now and then. I crave that burnt brisket crust, and dark ale flavor every couple of months.

12. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

The GH Black Irish X is much smoother and less "burning brisket" than the SG.

Edit: IMHO

BradNTX likes this.
  13. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Damn, another on the TAD list!

BradNTX and Mington like this.
  14. Johnny

Johnny Member

The pigtail is different from the Irish X but very similar in taste. The pigtail is similar size to Brown Bogie. All are excellent!

15. Pipe Matt

Pipe Matt Member

I've just finished a Black Pigtail sample buistd sent me. I really like this stuff. The flavours are great and remind me of barbecued meat! A fairly good dose of nicotine too.

Buistd - did yours come from Greens of Leeds (Smoke-king)? I notice Tobacco Reviews only has "Black Pigtail" listed under SG and I want to make sure I get the same GH stuff as you sent me. Thanks. :)

16. buistd

buistd Sales Account

I got mine from a little tobacconist in Canterbury. Mine is definitely GH not SG.

Pipe Matt likes this.
  17. Pipe Matt

Pipe Matt Member

Thanks mate. :)

18. buistd

buistd Sales Account

I can send you what I have with the Larry's Blend if you want and you can return the favour next time you have something trade-able. I think I may have another pack of it in the tobacco treasure chest somewhere.

19. Pipe Matt

Pipe Matt Member

Very kind of you David. Only if you don't want it yourself though. :)

20. buistd

buistd Sales Account

I can live without it. It is a very rare tipple for me and my cravings for that kind of smoke are currently being satisfied by Revor Plug (and Mick McQuaid Plug once the Revor's gone). How to make an American jealous in a few simple words...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.