Blender Aged Tobacco

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by cellophane, Apr 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cellophane

cellophane Member

Reading through the aging FAQ and dreaming of bourbon got me thinking -

Do you think the tobacco blenders will start selling aged tobaccos similar in fashion to buying a bourbon or scotch? I know holding on to stock for 5-10 years can be a costly endeavor due to space and the risk of fire (a fire at Heaven Hill distillery took out roughly 2% of the world supply) but with an increased interest in piping by younger folks and a general trend to gravitate towards more esoteric pleasures over the last few years it might almost make sense.

2. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

The only packaged toby I know of that celebrates a particular leaf AND year is McCl's Christmas Cheer. Of course you can vintage it by the date stamp/sticker/markings and aged does really matter in the case of pipe toby. For some they'll smoke fresh and aged as in my case. I like to try current production, and some aged side by side or one after the other. I'm looking forward to the cellar I'm building and raiding on an "as needed" or "sheer madness" moments!

I believe Russ O (H&H) said on PSF that H&H was going to look into aging tinned tobaccos but it really isn't cost effective for anyone to do this. I guess an added fee would have to be recouped? If so, then what would be reasonable and would the fee be a per year (older charged more for the longer "storage/aging"). Liability would be great (total) on the warehouser(s). I like storing and aging my own.........so it's a stack o'jars and stacks/boxes full o'tins for me. I'm actually quite proud of my cellar and all of the work is quite fresh in my mind..........started about this time last year.

Cellar Wide & Deep, and NOW!

Ed
    Puff

3. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

It could be possible that they would try it . The larger makers are most interested in consistancy and buy leaf in such a way as to be able to make blends the same year after year and if they hit it .. then decade after decade . I guess if ageing it were to make a big enough difference in taste etc .. then they might . But if it were better .. then someone would want to figure a blend thet could be used now that was just as good . I would think the goal would be to make the best possible blend .. and to be able to make it now would be ideal . Interesting question cellophane , we'll have to see what happens !

4. cellophane

cellophane Member

I know the longer a bourbon sits in a cask, the more it costs. A fifth of Makers is in the $30 neighborhood (7 years) and a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle (23 years) is closer to $300. 3 times the age at 10x the cost. would a 10-year tin be worth $40 to you?

5. ruffinogold

I see what your saying . I'd pay more for a 10 year old tin only if that blend was no longer made . If someone came up w/ a tin of Three Nuns from the 80's in good condition ... I'd go deeper in the pocket ! Yup

6. CarlBC

CarlBC Member

I've paid $40 for a 10-year-old tin before. Like any 'collectible consumable' - ie: spirits, wine or toby - the demand and price are dependent on the subjective tastes of the consumer. I'd also think it depends on the age-ability of the toby. I know from sad experience that most aromatics age poorly, and I think we all know how wonderfully some VAs, VaPers, orientals and burleys embrace the changes of time!
    Ruff - you'll not be surprised to know that $40.00 tin I bought was Orlik DSK!

:toast:
    -- Carl

7. ruffinogold

I believe it . You gonna check out the Heinrich stuff ? I think it might be a score

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.