Blending pipe tobacco with RYO cigarette tobacco

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by bluepipe, Dec 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluepipe

bluepipe Member

So I was too lazy to go down town to the tobacconist since most of the public busses have stopped working because of the snow the last couple of days. So instead of getting a propper strong blend I thought I'd add some nicotine and strenght to the aromatic I have. I think it's american delite but I am not sure.

So, I mixed about 50-50% (or 60-40) pipe tobacco with golden virginia tobacco (green pack) and filled the pipe using the frank method. It's the method I use anyway. The golden virginia has additives which keep it moist and it's a nice strong full simple RYO tobacco IMO.

The result was a much faster and easier to smoke bowl. It didn't smoke any hotter and I enjoyed it more than the aromatic on its own. More pleasant to snork and more nicotine kick when inhaled. No relights, the pipe kept smoldering. I didn't have to puff hard on it to get any flavour. It reminded me of smoking cigarettes again but it was much more relaxing and smooth. It didn't have that sharp nicotine kick that you get from a RYO cigarette, but it didn't have that totally relaxing pipe character that a pipe should have.

All in all a much more pleasant bowl for me than the aromatic I have. I took the mp3 player with me outside this time so that might have affected my mood as well.

Will I get the same effect from a strong non aromatic English blend?

Have you heard of people doing this kind of blending before?

Thanks

bluepipe

2. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

imho golden virginia is a lot closer to pipe tobacco than typical american cigarette tobacco, its quite literally a golden virginia, and the cut would account for your lack of smoking trouble. trying it with something like zigzag or joker on the other hand... bleckh.

then again i dont condone them being smoked by CIGARETTE smokers. there ARE some crossovers that work, they're just rare.

3. woody

woody Admin Admin

Too many chemical additives in cig tobacco for me to ever touch that stuff again. I'd smoke bellybutton lint first.

4. Stoked

Stoked Member

I have a friend who smokes only cigs an I'm trying to get him interested in pipe smoking, to no avail. I wish this site had a forum dedicated to "Recovering cigarette smokers" where the virtues of pipe smoking could be espoused and also perhaps act as a support group for recovering cigarette smokers. Just a thought.

5. woody

woody Admin Admin

I was a recovering cig smoker when I started this site. That's a big part of why we are here. For people to learn.

6. bluepipe

bluepipe Member

So do you think it was a horrible thing what I did? My pipe is now more enjoyable...

7. SSGpiper

SSGpiper Member

If it tastes good for you, do it....I can include you with woody on my bellybutton lint shipment if you'd like.

8. bluepipe

bluepipe Member

I don't want to do it, I want ot get the real tobacco, and be a propper pipe smoker!

how much for shipping the lint??

9. Burner

Burner Member

I stopped cigarette smoking about 15 years ago and back in the summer had a few puffs on a golden virginia rollup in the pub - I didn't inhale but the nic hit was still immense. It must he heavily artificially nicotinised as I suspect most cigarettes are. Go to your local newsagent or supermarket and buy some St bruno you won't regret it.

10. Aureliano

Aureliano Member

La Pipe C'est Mieux

11. bluepipe

bluepipe Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.