Blending With Perique And Dark Fired Kentucky

Discussion in 'Blending' started by bubbagump, Apr 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

I tried some Kickin' Chicken recently and liked it. While I'm waiting on the group order of that to finish up...I wanted to try my hand at mixing up something that might have some of the qualities of KC.

I'm going to start with a burley and VA base (probably some CH) and add the Perique and Kentucky. I ordered a couple ounces of each to try out (along with a 2 oz tin of C&D Kajun Kake). From looking around at reviews of each of them...I think that might put me in the ballpark, taste/aroma wise.

I got the blenders from pipe and cigar. I'm curious to hear if anyone else has tried those. Kentucky Dark fired is bptcnd305 and the Perique bptmcc44. C&D being the maker of the Kentucky, I'm curious to see if that's the same blend that went into KC. I'll let you know how it turns out.:toast:

dBear likes this.

2. bubbagump

Ok. I tried the C&D Kajun Kake. I'm happy with that choice...good stuff. My first little blending will be to mix in some of the Dark Fired Kentucky (which smells awesome).

Does anyone blend with Perique? I've got to say...the bag note is absolutely toxic. The aroma (if you want to call it that) is reminiscent of compost. I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do with that stuff.

I'm smoking a bowl of the Dark Fired Kentucky (alone) at the moment just to get a feel of it. It's not bad on it's own. I can see why this stuff is a popular blender. This would go great with VA and/or burley.

3. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

4. bubbagump

Nah. I gave that up to help supplement my TAD and PAD budget.:D

5. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

I understand. I have OCD and ADD, so everything has to be PERFECT, but not for very long!

Malcontent and bubbagump like this.
  6. craig

craig Active Member

Im blending at the momwnt bubba and while i love perique in ready made mixtures on its own i dont care for the aroma its just...wierd.
    But when you start your blend be mindful of the qauntitys of perique and kentucky you put into your blend both carry a lot of nicotine.
    Depending on what you want the perique and kentucky to do say if you want a mild flavour you want a max of 20% in the blend
    If your wanting it stronger then id say 30-45%
    Anything over that a d its just going to be a bad day at the office lol
    Hope this helps

bubbagump likes this.
  7. bubbagump

I found a good mixture. I did 65% CH, 30% Dark Fired Kentucky, and 5% Perique. It's nice and mellow. It gives a bit of a smokey hint.

Yeah...Perique is definitely strong and has an odd aroma. I can get a slight hint of of the Perique at 5% mixed. I don't think I'd want anymore in there.

Trauma, craig and SmokeyJoe like this.
  8. critter

critter Member

i just bought a pound of the dark fired as i can make darn near anything smokable with it.

Piperatthegates likes this.
  9. afiaowo

afiaowo Member

Would you mind giving me your impressions of dark fired Kentucky when smoked alone?

Thank you.

critter likes this.
  10. critter

critter Member

haven't smoked it straight, can only imagine, but i will tomorrow and get back to you. i really like the flavor

afiaowo and dBear like this.
  11. Trauma

Trauma Active Member

Dark fired is one of my favorites, I might have to order some to try mixing as well. Thanks for the info guys.

bubbagump likes this.
  12. afiaowo

afiaowo Member

Thank you very much!

13. critter

critter Member

you will have to excuse me as my skill at reviewing tends to be limited to like or dislike.

i decided to buy dark fired blending tobacco after i realized that my love of old dark fired, 5 o'clock shadow, jack knife, exhausted rooster, et. al. had a common component of dark fired leaf. i have been using it in heavy virginia blends, especially those that tend to bite me no matter how easy i go about smoking them, such as hal o and anni kake, and i love both of them. blending these with the dark fired tames them down, reduces the bite and allows me to enjoy the sweet virginia.

had a bowl of the dark fired straight this morning with strong coffee and loved it. not very complex, but for me the flavor is something i find very enjoyable. i can only identify a slight sweetness to the smoky tobacco that i would compare to unsweetened bakers dark chocolate.

i bought another pound this week from p&c. note also i use the blending dark stoved virginia to sweeten up some dull burley blends and it works well. combined with the dark fired and 10% perique i get a nice all day smoke. firing or heat curing fits my taste obviously.

hope this helps and thanks for the nudge to try it straight.

afiaowo and bubbagump like this.
  14. afiaowo

afiaowo Member

Thank you for taking the time to do that for me, critter.

15. TroyNov1965

TroyNov1965 Member

I bought some blending Perique and i love to blend it with my everyday smokes, it really brings some zing to OTC blends.
    I like to add it to CBK and SWRA mostly.

16. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I think just about anything would taste better with a little DFK in it...

Trauma likes this.
  17. Trauma

Trauma Active Member

+1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.