1. Unique, Original Reviews Only

Please do not post reviews from other websites. Reviews found posted on other sites will be deleted.
    Dismiss Notice

Blind Review Thread II

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco Reviews' started by woody, May 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woody

woody Admin Admin

Blind Review Thread II

ruffinogoldswife and Spillproof like this.

2. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Great job so far Hazy. On to go? Fun...isn't it?

3. buistd

buistd Sales Account

I believe I am up next on this. Just checking with everyone, is osogordo3 after me?

4. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Two more to go...

5. osogordo3

osogordo3 Member

Yeah I'm next]

6. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Did we scare the little feller off?

7. osogordo3

osogordo3 Member

Im not sure......Hes being very thorough.....i guess lol.

8. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

I heard from him by PM. He'll be finishing off the reviews soon.:)

9. HazyDat620

HazyDat620 Member

Lol, No you have not scared me off yet. It was a long weekend and I have to many other hobbies I guess, one in particular. Those ""tomato"" plants are finicky sometimes. I actually smoked the samples the first time before the weekend even started, but I wanted to try them a couple of days later to see if my thought on #6 had changed.

sample #5
    Right off the bat the latakia aroma was strong. The blend looked like a shag of gold and dark with some aged latakia. This was easy to light and keep lit almost the whole bowl. Right from the start and all the way to the end, never veering, was the latakia. Now I don't know if I would call this a " lat bomb" because I wouldn't be able to tell the difference one way or the other, mainly because I don't mind Latakia. I'll compare it to London Mixture because that's the most Latakia prominent blend I have smoked. This blend though, I found myself being more satisfied at the end on both occasions, and surprised myself numerous times during the smoke by saying " damn this is pretty good stuff." #5 definitely replaces London Mixture. These kind of blends aren't ones that I smoke a few times a week, they're more like once every 2 weeks, but could definitely smoke this one once a week.

10. HazyDat620

HazyDat620 Member

sample #6 " The Bonus"

A gentleman never tells, especially when it's not a good lay . So I will let Glenn decide if he wants it shared to the world, or keep it our dirty little secret.:th1:

11. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

:beyes:

12. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

#5 is none other than Balkan Sobranie. I have not smoked a great deal of it but so far I agree, it is a keeper.

Heck yeah on #6. I want to know what you think. It is another of ny usuals. I know it is a little tougher blend to do a blind review of but at least tell us what you think of it.

Mington likes this.
  13. HazyDat620

HazyDat620 Member

O.K. I was just trying to buy some time for the samples to get to buistd. Heck shipping wasn't barely any more than sending to E.C.

Sample #6
    I got a faint sweet vinegary smell off the bag, and that was it, but it had been sitting for a few days soooo. It was easy enough to light but started way hot, and stayed that way all the way to the end. I tried to slow myself down, but it seemed useless. I do not have the skills yet to sip a blend like this and keep it lit. The next bowl was a few days later to see if it was the mood I was in. I also let it dry out quit a bit thinking maybe the moisture content was making it burn hot? But no, same experience as last time maybe a touch better. I snork, for me that's the best way I get the most flavor out of the smoke. No matter how little amount of smoke I drew in, it would burn the hell out of my nose. It also left a lingering after taste in my mouth that I did not care for. Maybe some time down the road I will try it again blindly and have a different experience, but that baccy takes too much effort for me. On the positive it had a pleasant smelling smoke off the top of the bowl.

I want to thank Glenn for the great samples. Some I will be picking up, and some I will be steering clear of for now. All in all a great time and one of the reasons why I love this forum. I apologize for taking so long and I'm hope buistd enjoys it as much as I did.

14. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Sample #6 is G.L. Pease's Haddo's Delight. Welcome to periqueville.;)

Rewster66, Spillproof and Mington like this.
  15. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

So here is the rundown...

1. McCrannie's Red Ribbon
    2. Solani Aged Burley Flake
    3. Peter Heinrich's Dark Strong Kentucky
    4. Germain's Special Latakia Flake
    5. Balkan Sobranie
    6. G.L. Pease Haddo's Delight

I am glad you enjoyed the samples Hazydat620. I enjoyed the blind review process too.

Old Codger and Rewster66 like this.
  16. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Great samples, great reviews! :thu2:

Rewster66 likes this.
  17. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

I just realized, it is McCrannie's Red Flake not Red Ribbon that I sent. I have 2t2m on the brain.

18. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

I will second that. :)

19. vibhakti

vibhakti Member

From a newbie who's read through the entire thread (and would love to try a lot of these - especially that Blackberry Winter aro), I've gotta say, this is awesome and I'll third that.

I have only tried about 3-4 baccy's so far, but once I get a wider palate (and can actually distinguish between VA, Per, Latakia, etc.) I'll give this a try. In the meantime, keep up the amazing reviews, folks!

Motard, Mington and Rewster66 like this.
  20. Tortuga

Tortuga Member

This is the thread that convinced me to become a member here, I'm glad to see it's still going.

Rewster66 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.