1. Unique, Original Reviews Only

Please do not post reviews from other websites. Reviews found posted on other sites will be deleted.
    Dismiss Notice

Blind Review Thread II

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco Reviews' started by woody, May 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Passes for human

Sample #2 Smoking out of the same meer.

Appearance - Very dark, very small fine cut. Very moist. Sitting out on a piece of paper for a bit to dry.

Baggie note - Rich, dark, earthy. Very appealing.

dried half hour still a bit moist

Char light - Hard to describe, but very good initial taste. Like the bag note.

1st half bowl - This tobacco is already on my list to buy. Very hard to describe. It is very very smooth, creamy buttery smoke. Earthy.
    It reminds me of when I worked in a greenhouse when I was 17. The rich smell of the potting mix, the humidity, the growing things, the girl I was in love with.... Hit me right in the nostalgia center of the brain. Brought back a lot of memories.

Mid bowl - Still can't really describe what it tastes like. Perhaps hints of cinnamon or nutmeg-ish spice notes. not sweet but still smooth. Wonderful snorks. Mmmm...

2nd half - Still can't liken it to anything really, turning into fine white ash, a few relights mid bowl but burning great now. An edge appearing out of the smoothness. The only thing that comes to mind is the inside of a fig newton but that's not exactly it.
    This is fantastic. A perfect pairing with the rainy Autumn day I'm looking out the window at. More tastes developing towards the end of the bowl but I can't describe what it is. There is a very nice mild tang coming out...

End of bowl -- Good to the last puff. More intense flavor at the end. Small bit unburned at the bottom of the bowl, probably should have dried it a tad more.

Opinion - That was about a good as a pipe can be. A blend to smoke with no distractions, good at first light and just gets better as it burns.

If I were to name this I would call it Nostalgia Blend. Many thanks Dave. A perfect bowl. This is why I smoke a pipe.

Old Codger, Rewster66, Jussto and 3 others like this.

2. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Great reviews mike, I thoroughly enjoyed reading both so far :th1:

3. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

I don't understand. This is an agreement as a participant in the Blind Review Thread. Each person that accepts samples is required to send samples; that's how this thread works. I stepped up and provided samples to keep this thread moving, but I did not replace samples to be provided by Marker.

N3M0 likes this.
  4. Spillproof

Awesome review Mike!

Sample #2 is Esoterica Blackpool (2010)

Old Codger, Rewster66, Jussto and 2 others like this.
  5. HazyDat620

HazyDat620 Member

Where is marker? he hasn't stepped in and said" oops , my bad" or "they're in the mail"? and what was sample 2 spill:popc:

N3M0 likes this.
  6. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

I saw that he has been on from time to time, he hasn't responded to either of the 3 pm's I've sent him though :popc:

7. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

He said it at the bottom:

Esoterica Blackpool 2010

8. HazyDat620

HazyDat620 Member

Spill posted while I was typing and was too lazy to say ooops:)

N3M0 and Albert like this.
  9. MikeInMaine

I just read the tobacco reviews.com reviews. I didn't taste the slightest hint of licorice.

Spillproof likes this.
  10. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

I don't blame you, I do that all the time ;)

11. Spillproof

I don't know what's up with Marker but since I am the person that rec'd he be included, I am taking responsibility to keep things moving. That is why MikeInMaine has samples from me. And why N3MO will soon.

WE NEED FOLKS TO PARTICIPATE IN A TIMELY MANNER.

Old Codger likes this.
  12. MikeInMaine

So do I send some out now or wait till I am finished reviewing? I could get samples out tomorrow or the next day.

13. Spillproof

I am sending samples to N3MO (they're already in the mail).

Marker just texted me; some life-stuff came up, but he is getting his samples together as we speak.
    This hiccup is not a big deal; we'll sort it all out and no one will be shafted.

Sounds like we need a few new "volunteers" as MikeInMaine, N3MO, and Marker will all be sending samples to someone soon.

If you want to participate in The Blind Review thread:

1) Be timely. A minimum of 1 sample/day seems reasonable (i.e. 6 samples in a week). See MikeInMaine's reviews above for the sort of reviews "we" thrive on.

2) Have samples ready to go for the next guy on your last "day," and communicate often. If you accept samples, you are responsible for providing samples in a timely manner.

3) HAVE FUN. No really, that's what this all about. There is no right or wrong, only your impressions of what you're provided. Maybe you'll find your one true love (*in tobacco).

That's teamwork!

Old Codger, Rewster66, Jussto and 4 others like this.
  14. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

So it looks like we need at least 3 more victims...err participants.

Spillproof likes this.
  15. buistd

buistd Active Member

Could be the Orientals. A few varieties of Oriental have a floral/incense note to them. The various Lakeland sauces (there is more than one generic Lakeland "flavour") are made from almonds, geraniums etc etc. I think you will know if you get a proper Lakeland. Interestingly enough, I have heard Blackpool recommended as a good example of the traditional British tobaccos, a la GH and SG. Never tried it myself so can't comment though.

Rewster66 likes this.
  16. buistd

buistd Active Member

Incidentally, good reviews so far. makes you notice elements of a blend that you would never normally notice when smoking.

Spillproof and Rewster66 like this.
  17. Spillproof

I agree Mike. Many folks that smoke this stuff taste licorice; I don't. I do smell an anise-type note in the tin, but through the pipe I don't taste that note. That's a good thing, because I dislike black-licorice intensely, and I love Blackpool. I definitely get the earthy-fruity notes you described; I'm glad you like it.
    Btw, that Blackpool originally came from Briar Boy through a trade, so he get's a shout-out here.

user2725, Old Codger and Albert like this.
  18. buistd

buistd Active Member

I wanted some of that but he understandably didn't want to ship overseas. That should have been mine!

Spillproof likes this.
  19. Albert

Albert Active Member

next time just drop by and pick it up :D

Spillproof likes this.
  20. MikeInMaine

I agree. Doing this is the first time I have deliberately focused on really tasting the tobacco beyond just whether or not I like it.

Sample three is done but I wrote the review at work in a notebook and I am too brain dead to type it out. I will do it this afternoon when I get up.

Jussto likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.