1. Unique, Original Reviews Only

Please do not post reviews from other websites. Reviews found posted on other sites will be deleted.
    Dismiss Notice

Blind Review Thread II

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco Reviews' started by woody, May 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Hmm, I guess all that spice was the boatload of Perique and not Orientals after all :oops: HAHA. What do you think of that blend Spill?

Spillproof likes this.

2. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Oh Rewster LOL, now you really have me second guessing a possible nicotine overdose :zom:

3. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

I'm rapidly becoming a HUGE fan of P&W blends. They are nothing new, but they are new to me, and I've at least "liked" every P&W blend I've tried. The #622 came to me recently by way of a PSF'er, and I love that stuff. I agree it's a bit of a spicy meatball, but it still has a bit of a "softness" that I find in a lot of P&W stuff. If you like smooth oriental "english to baltic," I highly rec P&W #10. I didn't have enough to send you any ;-)

Mount Mandolin and Old Codger like this.
  4. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

I think you done a wonderful job with your reviews N3Mo. :appl:
    One thing is for sure, Spill sure hooked you up with some really good stuff. (I would not expect less from the man, he is a credit to this forum). :thu2:

MikeInMaine likes this.
  5. MainePipe

MainePipe Member

Another great review.....great job N3M0

N3M0 likes this.
  6. Spillproof

Both MikeInMaine and N3M0 have been providing outstanding and highly entertaining reviews.

Thank you gents. This thread LIVES!!!!

7. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Passes for human

I can't wait to send out some samples. I think it will be as fun hearing what somebody thinks about them as it is to review them.

Great reviews N3MO. I am happy to see you naming the blends too. Fun ain't it?

Jussto, N3M0 and MainePipe like this.
  8. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Ok boys and girls, here comes Sample #3, this will have to hold you over until Monday (or Sunday afternoon) when I recover from my druken stooper from a Bachelor Party followed by an Oktoberfest Event (I know, I'm crazy). Without further adieu here's my review:

Sample #3

Appearance:

This was a partially rubbed out flake, I don't know if this is how it came, if Spill was trying to mess with me, or if this is just how he likes to cellar it. It was gold and brown, extremely long pieces (compared to the other 2 blends I've reviewed) with a pretty good moisture level. It was still just a tad on the wet side so I let it sit out a good 15-20 minutes before packing my pipe.

Tin Note:

I think (read hope) I'm starting to get the hang of this. Wet hay like smell (which I think I'm starting to learn is a VA smell perhaps) with some nice sweetness to it and a bit of fruitiness as well. Almost smells like raisins perhaps or some other dried fruit, prunes maybe? Taking a deeper breath I pick up on some spice, which I am now beginning to suspect is Perique (especially after my last review). I would rank this bag note as "Very Pleasant" and almost appetizing.
    Char Light:

Quite windy out tonight and my first match blew out just as it hit the tobacco :(. When I finally got a match going (2 later) to start my first char light I was immediately surprised with how sweet and smooth the smoke was. There was even some of that fruity raisin note in there as well, no spice though...yet, and oh man does it make an appearance later onLOL.

1/3rd of the Bowl:

So I said it was windy right? A little ways into the first 1/3rd a gust of wind came and blew some smoke near my eyes, not in but near and I'm not kidding you when I say it felt like I got hit with pepper spray LOL. It burned so bad, thank you Perique :th1: (oh God I hope there is Perique in this). The smoke at this point was soft and whispy, almost silky smooth, Very fruity and light with a nice touch of sweetness. I would imagine it would be fantastic in the summer with a nice glass of Reisling and some Talapia. The slight spice I noticed in the bag (and that stung the crap out of my eyes) still hadn't made it's appearance yet...but I could tell it was lurking in there.

2/3rds of the Bowl:

So after my eyes stopped stinging, I realized I was done with the first 1/3rd and hadn't snorked yet, so here comes my first snork (I bet at this point in reading Spill is laughing). If P&W 622 cleared my sinuses, this blend took them out, brought them to the laundry mat, the dry cleaners, called 1800-Steamer, and ServePro, then put them back in. WOW, it tingled my sinuses so much, I would equate it to chewing on a large piece of fresh horse raddish for a solid minute. But I liked it (is that weird)? The smoke now is very full and still silky smooth. The sweetness is still there, as well as the fruity raisin note. Very much digging this blend so far.

Bottom:

Burned nice and cool for the first 2/3rds but got a bit warmer towards the end. It finished into a fine grey ash with a little bit of dottle. Had about 6 relights throughout (I'm blaming the wind). The smoke for the last 1/3rd remained sweet and fruity (my lips still taste a bit sweet actually) with a hint of peppery spice.

Conclusion:

This blend rocked :hbang: . The sweet, fruity smoke was a nice and very much welcomed change of pace compared to P&W 622. Again, another extremely complex smoke with a lot going on, which is what I like. Again, I don't know if I would recommend this to someone, because Perique isn't for everyone. If you like sinus clearing, spicy smoke, this one is definitely for you! Out of 4 stars I give this one 4.

If I were to name this blend, I would call it Raisin Nasal Explosion
    I'm going to guess it's a VAPer due to the spice/peppery factor

Spill, another great sample, I truly look forward to trying the last 4.

I would also like to say that this thread is amazing and Spill and I are officially best friends for sending me this over the top amazing samples.

9. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Thanks Rew!

Truer words have never been spoken

MainePipe and Rewster66 like this.
  10. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

I agree

And yes, it is quite fun giving them your own names LOL

Rewster66 likes this.
  11. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

I've been shooting for entertaining, as well as trying to truly capture my individual experience

12. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Thanks MP!
    Wait till you read the next one LOL

13. Spillproof

OK, I really LOL'ed several times while reading your review, and nearly choked on my popcorn. Good stuff there sir. Brought a tear to my eye it did.

N3MO's Sample #3 is Asltey's #44
    (no perique, but the wind will do that with flake)
    http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=N&TID=24

Old Codger, MainePipe and N3M0 like this.
  14. MikeInMaine

Great review again N3M0. You have a gift for blend naming. I love it!

MainePipe and N3M0 like this.
  15. MikeInMaine

HaHa! no perique.:xd:

MainePipe and N3M0 like this.
  16. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Lol, thanks Mike

17. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Ya ya. Lol. You should try it the next time you have a cold hahaha

nesta and Spillproof like this.
  18. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Glad I could give you a laugh :). It really is great stuff. I thoroughly enjoyed it

Spillproof likes this.
  19. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Just noticed this thread was back alive, but am behind and trying to catch up.
    Did Spill send 2 people (N3M0 and MikeInMaine) samples at the same time and we have 2 review(er)s going on at once?

20. user2725

user2725 Active Member

I am willing to participate but I'm not great at reviews.

Rewster66 and Spillproof like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.