1. Unique, Original Reviews Only

Please do not post reviews from other websites. Reviews found posted on other sites will be deleted.
    Dismiss Notice

Blind Review Thread II

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco Reviews' started by woody, May 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Yes. That's how it worked out; wasn't really by design.

Mington likes this.

2. Spillproof

Sounds like UnarmedCrayon and BriarBoy are ready to go. PM one of those suckers... ahem... gracious participant.

Jussto likes this.
  3. Spillproof

I meant to comment on this but forgot. Now I remembered. That's how it goes with me ;-)
    I definitely get the apricot (or "ripe fruit") thing you describe and the rich creamy smoke. Telegraph Hill is a blend that acts very differently with any amount of wind. No wind, the perique is a little punchy but totally manageable Try smoking it while walking up a hill on a blustery day... zowsa that's a spicy meatball! Give it a shot in a nice briar while sitting. Preferably in a rocking chair. You can throw the ball to the dog, but that's about it.

Rewster66 likes this.
  4. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Passes for human

Haven't heard from crayon so pm me your address Briarboy. Let me know how many samples you are ready to review.

Jussto and user2725 like this.
  5. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

Nesta is willing to participate too fellas. If someone wants to PM him for his address he is ready to go. :)

Spillproof and Jussto like this.
  6. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Ill get Nesta when I'm a bit closer to being done

7. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

dmkerr is now willing to participate. So somebody send that egghead some tobacco because I am anxious to see what he will say Paladin tastes like in one of his $1000 dollar meers. :ohyh:

8. MikeInMaine

I sent Briarboy his samples today.

Rewster66 and N3M0 like this.
  9. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Unfortunately, like a higher concentration of Paladin. :puke:

10. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Yeah well, I write a lot of reviews but I suck at blind testing. :ohyh:

That's what makes this stuff so fun(ny). :beck:

Old Codger, Spillproof and Rewster66 like this.
  11. UnarmedCrayon

UnarmedCrayon Member

Man, a lot happened in the couple days since i read this thread. I replied to the PM before getting to the end of the thread. O well, I'll happily wait another round. I'm really enjoying the reviews and peoples raw impressions..... and of course the new naming aspect. :xd: I would hate to think of the moisture content of a tin of " Raisin Nasal Explosion" ;)

12. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

This thread...this thread...this thread is on fire. :csmile:

MainePipe and N3M0 like this.
  13. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

I haven't sent anything off to anyone yet, I'll get you since you were technically next. Expect a PM from me on Monday or Tuesday

14. MikeInMaine

Looks like you are all set Crayon, disregard the pm I just sent.

N3M0 likes this.
  15. UnarmedCrayon

UnarmedCrayon Member

Well alrighty then, look forward to hearing from ya N3MO. :D

Spillproof likes this.
  16. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

17. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Yep, I'm in whenever, if someone wants to shoot me a PM. Sounds like fun :)

18. Spillproof

OK Nesta. Sounds like UnarmedCrayon and BriarBoy are set up. Once they're underway we'll get you setup.

Cheers!

19. UnarmedCrayon

UnarmedCrayon Member

Awesome , thanks Spill for your very generous kick start to get this thread puffing along again. :thu2:

N3M0 likes this.
  20. MikeInMaine

Ok, last sample. Bonus #7

Appearance - Lighter in color than the others. Light golden brown with very sparse blackish tobacco. Ribbon cut I would say. Moisture just right.

Bag note - Kind of figgy, smells lighter than most of the others. Smells great.

Char light - Smoky figgy. Good first impression.

First half of bowl - The fig taste comes out prominently with a very mild peppery tingle in the snork.
    Followed by what reminds me of gingersnap cookies, a sharp spicy sweetness. A hint of caramel. One relight in the first half.

Mid bowl - Burning to a dark ash. Slight cigar taste on relight. Spicy peppery.

Last half - peppery taste in the foreground now with the caramel spice sweetness fading a bit. A salty leathery undertone. Lots of spiciness as the bowl burns down. But still light, nothing overpowering. Snorks a bit more tingly towards the end. A taste once in a while that reminds me of new briar even though I am smoking a meerschaum.

End of bowl - Best flavors towards the end, much different than the beginning. Burned to fine dark ash with almost no dottle.

Opinion - Really good. I will put this one on my list too. Rich in flavor but light tasting overall. A great smoke for the morning.

I would call this 'Dark spice".

After doing these reviews I thing pipe tobacco is subjective not only to each individual smoker, but also to the setting and time of year. Most of what came to mind were tastes that remind me of Autumn. I believe that were I to smoke these in the spring or summer I would have described the flavors differently and the reviews would have been quite different.

I think this thread is a great idea and a good way to really pay attention to what it is you are smoking. Usually when I smoke a pipe I am reading, or listening to something or watching a movie. I smoked all of these alone, with no noise and no distractions and it was totally new for me.
    I can't wait for the upcoming reviews from Briarboy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.