1. Unique, Original Reviews Only

Please do not post reviews from other websites. Reviews found posted on other sites will be deleted.
    Dismiss Notice

Blind Review Thread II

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco Reviews' started by woody, May 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

MikeInMaine's BONUS SAMPLE #7 is Bell's Three-Nuns

I think you nailed that one.
    Mike I want to thank you for your excellent reviews and participation. You did this string proud and I look forward to seeing what you give to the next guy.

Old Codger, N3M0 and Rewster66 like this.

2. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Passes for human

Awesome, I have been wanting to try that blend. I have been hearing about it for a while, Is that a hard to get tobacco?

MainePipe and Rewster66 like this.
  3. Spillproof

Not in England; that stuff is everywhere!
    But here in the States... doesn't exist. I know you can order it from Mr.Snuff (*one of the few that will do cc online sales and ship).

MainePipe likes this.
  4. Spillproof

I wonder how bad N3MO's hangover is today? Poor little fella.

5. JescoWhite

JescoWhite Member

When you play with fire you get burned :csmile:

6. Spillproof

Here is a recap of MikeInMaine’s Blind Review.
    Thanks again Mike- outstanding job even though I sent you a bunch stuff you didn't like ;-)

1.H&H Larry’s Blend
    Not horrible but I don't want any more. Brand new flavor. Not an English blend, I have no idea what kind of blend but I would guess a Lakeland because it was totally different than anything I have ever tried. In a four star rating I would give this a half star.

My name for this, if a blender were to ask me to name it would be "Grandmas Apartment"

2. Esoterica Blackpool
    “That was about a good as a pipe can be. A blend to smoke with no distractions, good at first light and just gets better as it burns.

If I were to name this I would call it Nostalgia Blend. Many thanks Dave. A perfect bowl. This is why I smoke a pipe.”

3. GLPease Key Largo
    “Powerful stuff. Strong nicotine. Good but not an everyday smoke by any means. At least not for me. I would smoke this once in a great while when the mood struck.

I would name this 'Peppered Oak" (if tobacco naming were my job)”

4. G&H Kendall Kentucky
    “I wouldn't smoke this one again. Flavorless for the most part. Neutral. Plenty of nicotine though if that's what you are looking for.

If I were to name this blend -- 'Roll Your Own Bowl'”

5. GLPease Telegraph Hill:
    “Definitely a powerful blend if you smoke fast. I want to try this in several different pipes and see what the differences are. Eye watering snorks if it heats up. Not sure if I would buy this yet. But I sure would pack a bowl if it was offered to me. I suspect this is one that will grow on me. I also think it would be better suited to summer smoking.

I have to smoke more to come up with a name for this.”

6. McClelland Anniversary (2002)
    “A hearty rich satisfying smoke. Full of a variety of flavors that change throughout the bowl. I hope this comes in bulk because I'm buying some. Awesome.

I would name this 'Autumn Sunrise."

Bonus #7. Bell’s Three Nuns:
    “Really good. I will put this one on my list too. Rich in flavor but light tasting overall. A great smoke for the morning.”

Old Codger, Rewster66 and el guero like this.
  7. MikeInMaine

There were only two I didn't really like. The ones I did like more than made up for that. I sent the Larrys Blend off as an extra in a trade, the rest are going to have further exploration is other pipes now that the reviews are done and I have the leisure to spend more time on each.
    It was great fun. Thank you again Mr. Spillproof.

Old Codger, Spillproof and Rewster66 like this.
  8. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

It was pretty decent, to top it all off my poor wife was rear ended on the highway on her way home from work on Friday, she's fine though thank God and she was alone (our 6 month old wasn't with her). So needless to say I didn't have too much fun at the bachelor party, but I more than made up for it at Oktoberfest on Saturday LOL.

I hope to be posting #4 and possibly #5 up this evening.

Great review btw Mike!

Spillproof and Rewster66 like this.
  9. UnarmedCrayon

UnarmedCrayon Member

Man, sorry to hear about your wife. I had a similar weekend, minus the drinking. Got rear ended by an RV with the whole family in the car. Everyone is fine, just broke the bumper cover, but sucks cause we got that car back from the body shop on Monday from when my wife rear ended someone else. :rolleyes:

Ok, I'm done with my sob story, back on track. Glad you had fun at Octoberfest. :)

Also, great recap Spill. And great reviews from both Mike and N3MO.

N3M0 likes this.
  10. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Yea, she was stopped on the highway and someone hit her going 65+. Her Jeep Grand Cherokee is only like 3 months old, hasn't even had it's first oil change yet. I think it may be totaled.

11. UnarmedCrayon

UnarmedCrayon Member

Holy crap! Yeah.... I'd say so..... I'm guessing you'll get another jeep considering that thing took quite a hit and she wasn't hurt. Bright side, you KNOW she will be driving a safe car. ;)

12. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Yea it definitely is an extremely safe car. She also hit the person in front of her from being hit so hard. Hey, its called the most award winning SUV ever for nothing LOL.

13. MainePipe

MainePipe Member

gotta love those damn Massachusetts drivers ... glad shes alright though...good luck with the Jeep

N3M0 likes this.
  14. Spillproof

Nice pipe in your avatar ;-)

MainePipe, N3M0 and MikeInMaine like this.
  15. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Actually, the person who rear ended her was from Bangor :laff: ;)

16. MikeInMaine

Wasn't me.:whis:

MainePipe, Spillproof and N3M0 like this.
  17. user2725

user2725 Active Member

My generous samples for MikeinMaine hath arrived, six in total, I will be reviewing one per day for the next six days starting tomorrow, I will be smoking them all in the same pipe, my Altinok SG120 meerschaum with a Butera coloring bowl...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rewster66, el guero and Spillproof like this.
  18. user2725

user2725 Active Member

Sample #1: A moderately cased aromatic with what I perceive as a coffee flavoring, if I were to guess this blend I would guess Just for Him's Morning Coffee (which I have never smoked)

Appearance: a fairly moist mix with medium brown casing saturated but not sticky ribbons and irregular black flakes...
    [​IMG]

Bag note: sweet coffee

Charing Light: took a little extra time to light due to the casing, but once ignited it burned well, sweet creamy coffee flavor comes through very well and tastes like it smells, light, airy, steam like smoke.

First third of bowl: good flavor with no real tobacco flavor that I can tell, very mild with no nose burn when snorked, easy on the mouth with only the slightest bit of burn probably due to the casing.

Second third of bowl: the flavor is staying very consistent, developing a slight bitterness, some sort of strange artificial taste.

Final third of Bowl: at this point I'm ready to be done with this, bitter artificial taste is persisting.

Conclusion: not completely unpleasant but not something I would like to smoke again.

Positives: nice room note, flavor somewhat consistent throughout the bowl.

Negatives: develops a bitter artificial after taste about half way through the bowl, no real tobacco flavor, a bit light bodied for my liking.

Final Verdict:
    [​IMG]

19. buistd

buistd Active Member

Is it 4noggins Double Fantasy?

20. MikeInMaine

Sample #1 was Erik Nordings Hunter Blend - Retriever. I cracked this one open just for this blind review. I will give it a smoke today and see if I concur.

Blend #1:thdn:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.