1. Unique, Original Reviews Only

Please do not post reviews from other websites. Reviews found posted on other sites will be deleted.
    Dismiss Notice

Blind Review Thread II

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco Reviews' started by woody, May 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Just giving you all an update, I sent UnarmedCrayon's samples out yesterday, I'm thinking they will be there Monday. Sorry I have been a little slow on reviewing this week, just been busy dealing with the insurance company and getting everything squared away with my wife's car. Finally got her a rental yesterday, I was getting tired of taking her to work (she works 64 miles away LOL). I'm stuck working late tonight but I should have my remaining 2 samples all posted up by the end of the weekend, just in time for UC to get his stuff and start puffin :bing:

Rewster66 and Spillproof like this.

2. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Did you guys hear that cricket?!

:whis:

I'm only teasing N3MO. I know how life-stuff happens ;-)

N3M0, OldSouled65 and Old Codger like this.
  3. UnarmedCrayon

UnarmedCrayon Member

Samples arrived Today!

Just in time for the massive storm about to pound the east coast. Unfortunately, I work at a tree company, so I will be super busy this week, but I have no doubt at the end of a hard day I will look forward to a bowl of surprise tobacco courtesy of N3MO. :bing: If my area gets as decimated as they say, assuming my survival, I will likely not have access to internet for a while. I may be able to check in via iPhone and let you know when I will get power back so I can post reviews. Of course last storm cell service was out for a while too.... sooooooooo, lets hope for the best.

Just to be clear, this is not my first plan, my first plan is to smoke, enjoy and report nightly, but if the worst happens, I will have no way of letting you guys know easily. So I'm laying it out now. :)

N3MO sent me 6 lovely looking samples. In fact they look very lovely..... yeah.... i may have to smoke sample 1 now..... yup..... it's happening, I'll try and get the review up tomorrow. :D

4. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Thanks for the update sir and here's hoping the storm comes and goes.

N3M0 likes this.
  5. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

:)

Ugh, been so busy, I think I'm going through pipe withdrawals. My sister-in-law got in a car accident too >.>, luckily she and my wife work at the same place so they are riding in together, however, she'll be staying with us until her car is fixed. Which translates to me having a very busy weekend getting one of our guest rooms up to snuff, grocery shopping, leaf clean up and hurricane/tropical storm/noreaster preparedness. Plus, I only smoke outside and it's been raining since Saturday night :(, and I think it may be a bit windy tonight, gusts are supposedly going to hit 85 mph.

Le sigh, I miss my pipes

Rewster66 and Spillproof like this.
  6. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Glad they got there fast! I can't wait to start reading your reviews!!

Rewster66 likes this.
  7. UnarmedCrayon

UnarmedCrayon Member

I smoked and took notes last night, gotta write it up now, but im still at work doing last minute prep. ( read getting soaked filling up the tanks on a bunch of tree trucks cause the drivers felt lazy ) hopefully will have power this evening to post. ;)

Rewster66, N3M0 and Spillproof like this.
  8. UnarmedCrayon

UnarmedCrayon Member

Review - Sample 1 - smoked in a bent MM Legend

Bag note - Light tobacco sent, some sweetness, almost fruity in nature, but not quite.

Look - mix of medium and light brown ribbons, a couple pieces of flake in the bag. Moisture was ready to smoke, a touch on the dry side compared to what i usually smoke.

Charring light - no casing detected, just tobacco flavor, 1 char and lit easily.

1st half - Defiantly no casing here, strong mouth flavor of tobacco. Reminded me of the taste of a cigar in my mouth. Not the cigar smoke, the taste of the wrapper on my lips. The smoke tasted of strong pipe tobacco, not cigar smoke. A snork brought strong tobacco flavor with a slight sweetness. Sweetness was faintly fruity. This blend seems to heat up rather easily, and once it does the sweetness disappears and the snork gets a lil bit harsh. Tickles the nose.

2nd half - Having some issue keeping this baccy cool, it likes to heat up my lil cob in only a few puffs. No bite though. The flavor is consistent, tastes like tobacco, the sweetness is gone, but no bitterness as it burns down. Not a bad flavor, a simple smoke. Feeling the N a bit at this point, nothing crazy, just noticing it. Burning down to a dry gray ash.

Impressions - based on my limited experience, I would venture to guess this is a burley based blend. This is one I feel I should try again in a briar, and see if I can keep it cool. I feel like it may have had more to offer if I had kept the temp down. It did seem to burn unusually hot though. I generally go through several matches and a regular sized bowl lasts over an hour due to my slow pace. But I very well could of been trying to hard on this blend and quickened my pace without realizing.

As far as guessing this blend, I wouldn't know where to start, I can say I'll give it another shot, and would easily fulfill a craving for a straight smoke flavored smoke. ( which does happen) Not a bad bit of tobacco, I guess I'd give it 2 - 2.5 out of 4, possibly better after revisiting.

Old Codger, Rewster66, Jussto and 2 others like this.
  9. UnarmedCrayon

UnarmedCrayon Member

While I think the worst of the storm has headed North of me, I figure I'll double up on reviews tonight just in case my power dies.

Review - Sample 2 - smoked in a Spitfire by Lorenzo Arena

Description - Mostly black with some golden brown loose cut pieces. Moisture was spot on for my packing preference.

Bag note - smokey and sweet. Reminds me of Original Frog Morton, but somehow softer, like the edges of the smells have been dulled.

Char Light - charred up fine, but true light took a few tries to take. tasted same as it smelled, very similar to frog, but softer.

1st half - A lil bit surprising, I taste VA's over latakia. There is a soft smokey background, but the forefront of flavor is a slightly grassy mossy VA flavor with a nice lil bit of sweetness. Since this blend is taking a few matches to keep going, im noticing a consistent lil zip of citrus flavor with each relight. The snork is mostly smokey smooth with a lil zip of that citrus. Very nice indeed. It is producing a good bit of creamy smooth smoke.

2nd half - further down the bowl, that citrus zip on the relight has disappeared and the smokey flavor has taken more of center stage. It is not overpowering at all, still soft, just more in the forefront. Still has a slight sweetness in mouth and in snork. A nice smooth transition. Got a lil gurgle after a while, a pipe cleaner took care of that. Burning down to a white/gray/black ash. I'm a terrible judge of N content, but noticeably less than sample 1. Just started to feel it by the end of the bowl.

Impressions - In some ways reminded me of Frog Morton a good bit, it others was completely different. Once again, no clue what to guess. I can only figure the golden brown bits were some form of bright VA. I liked this blend, would have to say a solid 3- 3.5 out of 4. I would buy this. :byg:

10. Tortuga

Tortuga Member

That sounds like Stormfront! Wouldn't that be an interesting coincidence, considering our current weather?

11. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

UnarmedCrayon's Sample #1 is Cornell & Diehl Opening Night (part of their Simply Elegant Series)

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=S&TID=2854

Straight VA's do tend to get a little hot sometimes, let me know what you think of it if you give it another shot in a briar. I find that smoking VAs in a nice tall and narrow bowl really help to bring out the flavors for me and keep it on the cool side. Great first review!

Old Codger, Rewster66 and Spillproof like this.
  12. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Color me impressed.

UnarmedCrayon's Sample #2 is...McClelland Frog Morton's Cellar
    http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=F&TID=5273

Glad you enjoyed it sir! Another great review, you should definitely pick some up, it's a great smoke.

Old Codger, Rewster66 and Spillproof like this.
  13. UnarmedCrayon

UnarmedCrayon Member

I think I definitely need to try number 1 again. I'm kind of blown away by sample 2! I just bought a tin of Frog Morton's Cellar, I've only had a couple bowls, but mine tasted very heavy of whiskey with smokiness behind it. This I had NO idea had whiskey flavor, I just picked up VA sweetness citrus thing and the smokiness. Now I kinda want to smoke some of mine to compare.... but I have plenty more mystery smoking to do, I'll get on that when I get home.

Old Codger and N3M0 like this.
  14. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Glad you liked it. It's amazing the trick our minds play on us, perhaps you picked up on the whiskey from your tin because you knew it was supposed to be there :msty:

Spillproof and MikeInMaine like this.
  15. Albert

Albert Active Member

I think time spent in a ziplock baggie tends to let toppings air out off a blend. This may account for the difference between your tinned version and the sample.

Old Codger, Jussto and N3M0 like this.
  16. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

That could be it as well. It was only out of a "tin" for 4 days though from me sending to him smoking. Would they really dissipate that quickly?

17. Albert

Albert Active Member

I know if i take a baggie with me somewhere cause I know I dont want to bring the whole tin with me, its considerably different in 1 day.

Old Codger, N3M0 and Spillproof like this.
  18. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Interesting, thanks for the input Albert, much appreciated.

Albert likes this.
  19. Marker

Marker Active Member

Sounds excellent. I will be looking for some FM Cellar... to cellar.

N3M0 and UnarmedCrayon like this.
  20. JBWright

JBWright Member

Good job, Crayon! Sounds like you nailed it

N3M0 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.