1. Unique, Original Reviews Only

Please do not post reviews from other websites. Reviews found posted on other sites will be deleted.
    Dismiss Notice

Blind Review Thread II

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco Reviews' started by woody, May 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Oh, good to know! I really liked it, and that is one I've been meaning to try for a while! The more Ashton blends I try, the more I enjoy.

2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Sample #1 from Marker...

Ribbon cut, ranging from light tan to dark brown to a few specks of black. It wasn't easy to pin down the bag aroma due to the crosstalk from the other samples, at least one of which clearly contains latakia. As a result, I was never sure during my two bowls (I finished the sample) of this if it contained latakia or not. I'm leaning towards not, or if it's there, it's extremely light.

This was a fairly one dimensional smoke, which should not be taken as a shortcoming. I'm pretty sure I didn't grasp all this one had to offer, as I couldn't tell what the base tobacco was. At times I picked up a virginia-like sweetness but it was very fleeting. I'm guessing the base was burley but I could not say for sure. Very good oriental presence - not the heavy variety but more of the incense. It was all over the bag nose and in the flavor as well, not to mention the room note. Seemed to be a slight taste of perique that got heavier as the bowl progressed, particularly after the first half-bowl. I got the distinct impression of an "old-timey" taste, like this was an OTC from years gone by or perhaps one of Steven Books blends using very old burley and turkish. It reminded me of something I've smoked in the past but I couldn't pinpoint the blend. Overall, this struck me as a subtle blend, as the snorking brought out a lot more character than it does with hugely flavorful blends, and the smoke sidestream really brought out an oriental essence. This would make a good all-day smoke.

I really wasn't able to get to the core of this blend with just the two bowls but it was intriguing enough that I'd like to pick some up and get to know it better. Tastes like a very worthy blend.

3. Marker

Marker Active Member

dmkerr.

Sample number 1

Dunhill EMP.

I fully agree there is nothing wow about the blend, other than the fact that there doesn't need to be. It is awesome in its almost one dimensional smoothness.

Great review and I think personally you nailed it. :thu:

4. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Cool! I love EMP, personally, but it pales in comparison to RRR which I consider a more elegant variation on the same theme.

Now I've been going through samples randomly, so I decided it would be a good time to get to sample number 1. I got my Kapet 03 ready, and then I opened up packet #1. SO THAT'S WHAT IT WAS!

When I opened the package in the mail, I smelled two distinct things: latakia, and some sort of aromatic blend.

This is the aromatic. Or maybe just one of them, I don't know really. Or maybe it's only semi-aromatic? This is a strange one.

All dark brown ribbon cut, this was moist out of the packet. It smells like....fruit? Like liqueurs? Honey? It is vaguely spicy and tropical.

It reminds me of Peterson's Nutty Cut - it smells more aromatic than it is. Ditto SWRA and Erinmore Flake. I'd say that it is most like the Nutty Cut as far as I can tell - and I do pick up a hint of coconut.

I don't know what this is, but I like it

Old Codger, Spillproof and Rewster66 like this.
  5. user2725

user2725 Active Member

Sample #1, McCranies Burly Light, I don't know if it's cased or not, does taste pretty sweet though, it didn't get great reviews on TR but that doesn't mean much, sound like most of the reviewer's were expecting a heavier Burly, I guess they overlooked the name :rolleyes:, I like it for what it is a sweet light Burly, glad you liked it, the coconut scent might have crossed over from one of the other sample namely #5.

Old Codger and Spillproof like this.
  6. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Ah, maybe that's why I had trouble pinpointing whether it was an aromatic or not :)

7. dmkerr

I was never much of a fan of this but I haven't tried any of the Orlik version. I'll have to pick up a tin. Thanks!

Spillproof and Rewster66 like this.
  8. dmkerr

Sample #2

Mahogany brown in color, it looks like a flake that was partially rubbed out. Bag aroma showed a bit of that old familiar Lakeland aroma. Works for me!

Starts out a bit sweet but not overly so. Milder than I would expect from a G&H blend but it certainly smelled like one, both in the baggie and in the room. Kind of a hay-like quality - grassy. Reminds me very much of G&H Glengarry Flake during the first half of the bowl. Very relaxed and relaxing blend that seems to be geared toward mildness and comfort rather than bells and whistles. Possibly some alcohol flavoring but I'm not sure what. Not much complexity here - pretty straightforward. Lit easily and burned well.

The second half of the bowl showed a bit of ashy taste which reminded me of G&H Rum Flake, except this still seems too mild to be RF. But I don't recall Glengarry as anything but mild and simple up and down the bowl, so I'm quite stumped as to the identity of this one. On the other hand, I smoke Glengarry folded and stuffed so I can't say what rubbing it out might do (I don't recall, but since I smoke it folded, I suppose my original foray into this blend elicited a preference). During the 2nd half of the bowl, this ashy flavor disguised all else. Two bowls were all I could muster. Sorry - not too taken with this one! :oops:

Old Codger, Spillproof and Rewster66 like this.
  9. Marker

Marker Active Member

Sàmple #2 is MacBaren Navy Flake

10. dmkerr

No kidding! Denmark meets the Lake District! Weird. Never noticed it in Navy Flake before but it's been years since I've smoked any.

Old Codger, Rewster66 and Spillproof like this.
  11. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Great reviews so far gents.

And nice selections.
    Always interesting to hear what people "get" out of tried-and-true blends when doing them blind.

12. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Do we have 2 reviews going on again at once?

13. Spillproof

Yep :ohyh:

BriarBoy/Nesta.

And Marker/DmKerr

N3M0 and Mington like this.
  14. UnarmedCrayon

UnarmedCrayon Member

Ive been hammered at work recently, so I fell behind, I have notes on one blend i smoked at home and will post tonight and smoke another. Sorry bout that guys. :oops: But we actually have 3 going. Me supplied graciously by N3MO. :D

N3M0 and Spillproof like this.
  15. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Its ok Unarmed, I know life stuff gets in the way.

I've been so busy with work, my wife's car thing (it's still in the shop) the baby I haven't had a bowl in about 2 weeks I think.

So I guess we technically have 4 going cause I still have 2 Samples from Spill (the magnificent) proof that I have been DYING to try...

Spillproof likes this.
  16. Spillproof

**** happens fellas.

That's why we have multiple folks lined up; so the thread never gets too slow for those of us with AD/HD.

17. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Spill, I can't remember if it's #6 or the Bonus, but it's taunting me...

One of the 2 smells so freaking good, I find myself smelling it, longing for the day I can put it to the flame.

Spillproof likes this.
  18. Spillproof

Oh I don't remember what I sent you. You'll have to figure it out ;-)

19. dmkerr

Now that's just cruel!!!! :xd:

Old Codger, Spillproof and N3M0 like this.
  20. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! The agony. I'll have to wander the earth, smoking up every single blend whilst trying to figure out what you gave me. All the while falling in love with several more blends along the way. I'd have to get more pipes to accommodate my seemingly endless endeavor. I will, most likely, amass huge amounts of tobacco in my cellar from all over the world...

Actually that doesn't sound that bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.