1. Unique, Original Reviews Only

Please do not post reviews from other websites. Reviews found posted on other sites will be deleted.
    Dismiss Notice

Blind Review Thread II

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco Reviews' started by woody, May 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

That sample also has about 6 years on it so maybe the honey mellowed out or vanished completely.

Spill, if you want I'll send you out a bowlful of the aged stuff, maybe you'll like it. If you do I guess you'll just have to buy a bunch and plan to not smoke it for another 5 years :)

2. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

I appreciate the offer but I'll politely decline. There are a TON of Va's I do like. MacB's Va #1 is on my 'lifetime ban' list.
    lol

ruffinogold, Albert and N3M0 like this.
  3. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

LOL I figured you'd say that, judging by your face in that review ;). Thought I'd ask anyways.

UnarmedCrayon likes this.
  4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

We must have similar tastes , my friend ... you know how much I dig MB Products , but MB Va #1 about killed me . The roof of my mouth , teeth , gums and brain went on fire alert. Last I had it was like 1994 or so .. maybe I'm jaded enough to try it again ... carefully

Spillproof and N3M0 like this.
  5. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

If you're feeling daring, PM me your addy and I'll send you some

ruffinogold likes this.
  6. ruffinogold

I would but I'm fixin to do the blind review thing . God only knows what nesta will send me .. I'm scared enough as it is . Honestly , thank you , but I will have to many new blends around in a few days . Maybe in Jan. we can do a trade :)

N3M0 likes this.
  7. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Sounds good, pm me whenever :)

ruffinogold likes this.
  8. RS422

RS422 Member

First of all I would like to thank UnarmedCrayon for his generous samples.

Review Blend #1

Upon opening the bag I smelled that distinct McClelland bbq smell. The tobacco was about 80% dark black and about 20% medium brown.
    For pipes I used a pride cob and a Genod dublin shaped bowl. The tobacco light right away even though it was a bit damp. No relights. Burned down to a grey ash with a little dottle.
    Seemed to me that the black tobacco was stoved virginia. A little bitey the first half of the bowl and settling down after that. A small amount of sweetness was also present.
    I would guess that this was either 5120 or 2010 from McClelland.

9. RS422

RS422 Member

Review Blend #2

Opening the bag of blend #2 I smell cherry. About 50-50 black and brown tobacco. I have tried a lot of chery blends before and I think I know what this is. Tasty but not overpowering in the cherry department. This PS Very Cherry me thinks.

N3M0, Rewster66 and Spillproof like this.
  10. OldSouled65

OldSouled65 Member

Nesta will send you all florals ;)

N3M0 and ruffinogold like this.
  11. UnarmedCrayon

UnarmedCrayon Member

RS422 is movin fast ;) You were darn tootin close on Sample 1. McClelland Virginia Woods. :appl:

Sample 2 - Your taste buds did not lie, it is cherry, but it is Tewksbury & Company Hobbit's Weed. :bing:

Old Codger and N3M0 like this.
  12. RS422

RS422 Member

0 for 2. I thought Virginia Woods on the first one but from the tins I had it tasted a bit different. On number 2, never had hobbits weed but it sure tastes darn close to PS Very Cherry. Number 3 smells unlike anything I have ever tried before. Am going to smoke a bowl soon.

UnarmedCrayon, N3M0 and Rewster66 like this.
  13. ruffinogold

I got the package from nesta , other than a bottle of KY and a magazine about sheep , there were some blends in there :D. I smoked the #2 blend already but I'll smoke a couple bowls of the #1 blend and give a review either tonight or tomorrow . Or should I smoke another #2 and write a review tonight ? I dont know if I have to do it in order or what not . Only kidding about the KY , btw ... oh , and the sheep mag .

Old Codger, Rewster66, nesta and 3 others like this.
  14. ruffinogold

Ok , I smoked the # 1 blend gone .I smoked two good sized bowls and one little bowl . Damn , I just realized I should have taken a pic of the blend ... I will with the ones to follow . This blend , which looked to be about 30 % black cavendish and the remainder a mix of different color tobaccos , was a hodge podge ruff cut , mainly . It was in the style of a German or Danish aromatic , meaning , pretty much dryer than our American styled stuff and considered by the " aromatic niave " as a higher grade aromatic smoke ;) . These type blends are good but smoke a bit warmer than the American styled stuff , though dryer . This blend was kinda on the line of a Peterson Aromatic , PH Aro , MB and Larsen aros . I really suck at being able to tell what an aro flavor is unless it's labeled as such or is super obvious . This blend smoked dry w/ a white ash and had moments of some heat but not bad . It toned down a bit and cooled a bit and kept the flavor it started w/ down the bowls . It was much better in good sized billiards and kinda lame [ warm and crap flavor ] in a tiny acorn . I dont know what blend it is other than it's style . Kinda reminded me of MB Vanilla Cream but dryer and a different flavor ... lol .. that was lame . I'm guessing , just from the feel of it , that it might be a C&D blend , though theres a number of makers who could have made a blend like this . In general , it was a pleasent Nordic style Aro that smoked Dry and pretty cool and kept it's flavor throughout the bowl . If'in yer in the mood for a non American styled aro ... this is a nice choice , whatever it is

Old Codger, HazyDat620, N3M0 and 3 others like this.
  15. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Pretty good description, ruff!

Sample #1 is Ashton's Smooth Sailing!

One of my preferred vanilla-type aromatics, and I believe it is German blended. According to the tin: "Pleasantly palatable and wonderfully smooth, this aromatic mixture is slightly nutty, boasting flavors of maple, coconut and dark chocolate."

When I say vanilla-type what I mean by that is the camp of aromatics which are grouped more or less together (at least in my mind) as vanilla/chocolate/caramel/liqueur/etc. as opposed to berry/cherry/tropical/mixed fruit or spice/liquor/etc. I find it tough to pick out most specific flavorings in a tobacco because they often meld together and often translate poorly from aroma to flavor, but I can usually figure out what general category of flavoring dominates.

Anyway I agree, it's a pretty decent aromatic if you smoke it nice and slow in a larger bowl

Old Codger and ruffinogold like this.
  16. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

BTW I thought I sent you the goat magazine, not sheep....I keep the good ones for myself.

Hey, you know why Scottish guys wear kilts? So the sheep don't hear their zippers :xd:

17. ruffinogold

I thank you for sending that one , I enjoyed it in the bigger billiards ! I've had a bowl of the #2 blend yesterday and am fixin to have another on the ride into Blue Ridge to do some food shopping . While I'm here thanking you , Nesta .. I'll add that the Kaywoodie Bulldog fine line you sent me is getting a work out ! I've become an H&H junkie and that pipe being ghosted w/ the old H&H is about my favorite thing to smoke .. I love it ! Thanks man :th1:

Old Codger and Rewster66 like this.
  18. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Hey no worries, I liked the look of it but I wasn't really smoking it much....I got it for a steal, so I figured sending it off to someone who'll give it a little more use than I was would be good :th1:

Old Codger, Rewster66 and ruffinogold like this.
  19. ruffinogold

This is what blend #2 looks like . I smoked it in this Whitehall yesterday . I'll be smoking another bowl in a few mins. and will write up after I get back from the store

[​IMG]

Spillproof, Rewster66 and nesta like this.
  20. ruffinogold

This blend has some Va , maybe some red Va , Turkish and some Lat . It's dry to the touch and I think it's void of PG or damn near it . I'm super picky w/ any blend that has turkish/latakia leaf . When I first smelled it I thought it smelled like IRC Royal , which made me happy , but it's not . What I didnt like about this blend is that it would be goin fine and then a wham bang chunk of Turkish/lat that would remain for to long and then it would pass and things were good again . Back and forth . It is by no means a Lat bomb but it seemed like it would hit a solid bit and just stay there .To be honest , I'm not sure if it was the Lat or some weird Turkish ? It also made the roof of my mouth and toward my throat a bit raw feelin . I smoked two bowls .. one in the Whitehall and one in a London Made Billiard of a group 4/5 size . It smoked well as far as lighting and staying lit . Maybe I'm spoiled from smokin SG Skiff , which I think is delightful and a perfect English style blend . This stuff was a little harsh and I didnt enjoy it very much . I have no idea what blend it is . I thought it smelled like IRC Royal [ kind of a singular aroma ] . Skiff smokes so cool and mello and not heavy . I found my Zen English and I'm sticking w/ it

Old Codger, Rewster66 and nesta like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.