1. Unique, Original Reviews Only

Please do not post reviews from other websites. Reviews found posted on other sites will be deleted.
    Dismiss Notice

Blind Review Thread II

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco Reviews' started by woody, May 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Good review again! You said you wanted to try some McClelland blends, and I don't have many on hand because, frankly, they don't often ring many bells for me.

Sample #2 is McClelland's Oriental Mixture No. 14

Personally, I think it's an okay blend but nothing thrilling at all, and I almost never smoke it. The sample was a little on the dry side because the tin has been open for some months without being transferred to a jar. It's a frequently recommended latakia/oriental blend, and I originally picked it up because of comparisons people had drawn between it and Dunhill's Durbar Mixture (a seriously flawed comparison, in my opinion)

I think the problem is that for an English blend it has a pretty mild profile. I tend to more or less subconsciously try to get it going a little more strongly to get some more flavor out of it...flavor that isn't there, and then it gets a little rough around the edges as a result.

I think it's nice, but milder than I normally like for the style.

There is latakia in it, but being in their green labelled oriental-forward lineup, there's more turkish in there than lat

Old Codger and ruffinogold like this.

2. RS422

RS422 Member

Blend #3

Upon opening the bag I am hit with a very earthy smell. Very dark brown broken flake or crumble cake. This stuff had a very good and strong tobacco taste. I really want to know what this is so I can stock up on it. Very high nicotine also. Probably burley and maybe some virginia and perique. A wild guess is C and D burley flake #3. I smoked 8 bowls of this till it was gone in various pipes and wish I had more.

3. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Oops ... Am I supposed to wait till ya get through yours before I start ? If so , let me know .. I apologise in advance .

4. ruffinogold

Nesta , to be honest ... it sucked :) If you guys were thinking of trying it ... I'd say pass big time and get a tin of SG Skiff

Old Codger likes this.
  5. RS422

RS422 Member

I don't think you have to wait Ruff. 2 people doing reviews at the same time is fun.
    The next sample is a dried out latakia blend that I will probably try tonight.

Old Codger, Rewster66 and ruffinogold like this.
  6. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Yeah, Ruff, there's a reason it's sat around here for so long! It was just a normal 50g tin, too, not one of the big ones...I just don't really like it so much! But there are a lot of people out there who like it a lot, and you had mentioned being curious about trying more McClelland blends....I figured it would be a better choice for the sample than Frog Morton.

Edit: and yeah, you don't have to wait for another person to review a blend before you do yours, and you also have no need to take them in order if something just appeals to you more when you sit down to smoke.

Old Codger and ruffinogold like this.
  7. buistd

buistd Sales Account

I have to say, I'm not overly enthusiastic about the McClellands I have tried so far. FMOTT is, to my tastes, good but a way off being a great latakia blend. 5110 Dark Full English is about the most disappointing blend I have ever had. The name promises a lot but the reality is far from what I was expecting. Not sure I'll be in a rush to try this one, although I do enjoy Oriental-forward blends.

8. ruffinogold

LOL ... ask whomever sent ya it ... if it's McClelland's Oriental Mixture No. 14 ..... take a pass ;)

9. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

There are a couple I've had that I really like. Legends is pretty good (or was it Wilderness I tried? It was in this thread that I reviewed it)

Also I really enjoyed Frog Morton On the Bayou when I tried it. Some of their Virginia's are pretty good, too. They actually have a number of blends that I think are well made - but not to my tastes.

Old Codger likes this.
  10. UnarmedCrayon

UnarmedCrayon Member

Blend 3 for RS422 was - C&D Blockade Runner. Good call on the C&D part. :toast: And it was a crumble cake I pre crumbled for ya. :D This blend is supposed to be all VA's soaked in rum and pressed for 7 days. Honestly, I have not had the chance to try it yet. Bought it as part of a internet purchase a couple months ago along with a few other stronger blends. Unfortunately my wife's patience for non aromatic tobacco began to wane, so it ended up getting jarred and set aside for a while. Re found it when picking samples. :cool: I'll try it myself once I finish up my last couple samples from N3MO. :bing:

Old Codger and N3M0 like this.
  11. RS422

RS422 Member

Sure was good. Am going to pick up some on my next TAD order.

12. buistd

buistd Sales Account

Think I agree with this. I can see why people would like them but most of the blends I have tried have lacked something that prevents my boat from floating.

13. ruffinogold

Just so ya know ... this #3 blend is a trip . I've smoked only one bowl and will wait awhile to smoke another after lunch . I might be getting stumped on this one ... it's unique . I'm smoking it in my Marxman Apple , which I smoke often , which might be adding to the stumpedness . I think I'll try the cob next . I have a very old Bursers [ I cant read the spelling ] cob that I dont smoke often [ cause it quite old ] but it's clean and smokes great .. it's next

nesta likes this.
  14. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Buescher's I think was the company...I know what you mean though, I've seen one at an antique shop for cheap, but it was in bad shape so I didn't buy it.

So...#3 is a trip....are your first impressions good or bad? :msty:

15. ruffinogold

Nesta , I'm not sure what to think .. this is a unique blend . I'm fixing to have a third bowl for a ride my wife and i are gonna take into town . After the third .. I'll write it up . I like it but I cant figure it yet , which is messing w/ my head :) .... Ya picked a good one , my friend

16. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Ah, good! Well, when you write your review, I'll reveal it's hidden identity!

17. ruffinogold

Alrighty then .... This has got to be one of the more unique blends I've smoked yet . It looks like burley and tastes like Burley/Va and some Turkish . The Turkish is present throught , which is what throws me off from " getting " the other components ... he's the humdinger ... Cherry :eek: . In the back of the blend , the whole time , is a mild cherry . Now , if you tell me it aint cherry ... I'm gonna freak . I've never had a blend w/ Turkish and Cherry . It lights fine and stays lit well ... the body is kinda light , which dosent make sense to me givin what I think I'm tasting , it smokes pretty cool but not super cool . The room note is turkish forward . I dont have any idea what blend this is . I've never had anything like it in memory . Do I like it ... well , yeah ... it's the weirdest Cherryish Turkish Burleyish[?] blend I've ever had ... I think . I'm completley stumped w/ this one ! Maybe I'm close .. ? I cant imagine

Old Codger, nesta and Spillproof like this.
  18. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Get ready to freak like you're at an acid test

Well, you're kind of close, and I agree it's definitely a unique blend! I hope you have another bowl's worth just in case, but....well, frankly it's the best Aro/English crossover I've ever had!

I know you aren't big on Cornell & Diehl or G.L. Pease, but I thought you might like this one, so I just had to toss it in there to get your reaction to it.

Sample #3 is (drum roll)

Two Friends English Chocolate!

Yep, no cherry to which they admit, but rather chocolate. I find it more of a cocoa than like milk chocolate, but either way it IS in the background.

According to the blurb on the tin:
    "We begin with the finest Virginias and just enough Latakia to provide the taste that so many crave then press it to marry the flavors. We then tumble it out to a broken flake for easy packing and add just a touch of chocolate to awaken the senses. The end result is a blend that satisfies all day for a walk through the Dales yet is welcome in the drawing room in the evenings thanks to warm chocolate aroma."

So that's it! Allegedly just VA, a small quantity of latakia (not enough to give it a full-blown campfire taste, which I think easily explains mistaking it for Turkish) and some cocoa/chocolate flavoring. At least, that's all they ADMIT to.

I could see getting a slight fruity taste from it, and will admit to not always having thought the flavoring smacked of chocolate, but I gotta say, I have never smoked it and thought "mm, cherries!"

Then again, that may be a testimonial for the power of suggestion, as well. I have occasionally thought it didn't quite taste enough like chocolate...but never pinpointed it as fruity, because hey, it's supposed to be chocolate! I can see where you're coming from though. Great review!

Edit: A note as to the lat/turk thing - for those who haven't tried this stuff, there is little to no black color to this blend, despite it containing latakia. Latakia is, of course, just oriental leaf treated with smoke, ranging from dark brown to black...so if it's brown, I'd suspect it to be less smoke-treated and therefore "lighter" in the smokiness department, and probably would taste more like what you'd expect a very full bodied variety of Turkish leaf to taste like.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

BTW, when you get to #4 I think you're gonna be in for a real treat. It's denser than it may look, so maybe pack with a light hand...I know there's not much in that particular sample, but it should be enough for two large bowls or 3-4 small-medium bowls, if packed lightly. The stuff burns wicked slow, too, so no worries there

20. ruffinogold

Whoa .... I guees another reason I dont like C&D stuff ..... the va taste like burley and a little va and the lat taste like turkish and the choclate taste like cherry ... i swear . In all fairness , it was such a weird combo that i couldnt tell what was going on . It was a weird crossover for sure . So far the best crossover , imo , is IRC Dr Bradley . Thanks for the " mindjob " Nesta :)

Old Codger likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.