1. Unique, Original Reviews Only

Please do not post reviews from other websites. Reviews found posted on other sites will be deleted.
    Dismiss Notice

Blind Review Thread II

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco Reviews' started by woody, May 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

No problemo! I do really like Sillem's Black, though THAT takes some serious getting used to! It's a full lat blend....with a full on cherry flavor going on too. Like heavy on the latakia, but still a full aro. It's good, but it took me a few bowls before I could tell if I liked it even at all....now I like it a lot, actually! And its great for when I want to smoke indoors but don't REALLY want a straight aro, and need a little more robustness to the blend

ruffinogold likes this.

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Sorry for not smoking anything new today ... I got my mind stuck in the world of Comics .. lol . I smoked one bowl of H&H in the ghosted H&H kaywoodie . I will smoke the #4 blend tomorrow and will write a " review " .

3. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

It's all good - I sure took my sweet time with it! I'm looking forward to your thoughts on #4, though, because of the blends I sent you, I think it's the best one.

Just a suggestion, though, for that blend in particular...maybe write your thoughts after the first bowl, and then I will reveal what it is. Just saying, it's not necessarily one you can just go to the store and pick up a tin whenever you want...

4. ruffinogold

Is it something awesome amd old ? :beck:

5. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Well, I like it a lot...and not super old, but you'll be hard pressed to find another tin just like the one from which it came. It wouldn't be impossible, just difficult :)

Rewster66 and ruffinogold like this.
  6. ruffinogold

Damn ... now yer making me want to smoke it now ..at mid night :)

7. ruffinogold

You know I'm hating you right now , right !? Nesta , this stuff is fan freakin tastic :eek:, really is . You rubbed out a fire cured VA w/ Burley . This stuff so reminds me of Ogdens Walnut but it's not as strong , not that it's mild by any means .. it's rich ! It dosent have a topnote that I can tell and is damn near , if not a perfect blend . It burns perfect w/ a white ash , slow burning , cool and a full mouth of smoke . It has that " fire cured " flavor , that if over done , can taste kinda tar like .. this blend takes it to the edge but dosent go into the " tar pit " . The fire cured stuff masks the contents of a blend to me .. and thats fine , I dont care if it has so much of this or that . I'm a MB smoker and the MB products are clean and clear . I love fire cured leaf , like Ogdens Walnut , but I dont care for the Tar pit ... some times I do though , ya know .. like when yer in the mood for 1792 or a rope blend . My friend , I thank you for turning me on to this blend but I want to headslap ya cause , whatever it is , I guess it's real hard to get . Being you like this , I know you would really dig Ogdens Walnut . It's similar for sure but a bit more elegante . I've only had one bowl and am sad looking at whats left in the zip loc .. ya bass turd ..lol . If it's a C&D blend .... I would be amazed ! I dont think they could make something like this . If it's a McCl blend .... I could see that. It's done so well that I would tend to think it's from the UK or Germany , but I really have no idea . A wonderful fire cured blend if ever there was ! Thanks :th1:

Old Codger, Spillproof and nesta like this.
  8. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Haha! Glad you liked it!

Got it for 15 bucks at the Columbus pipe show...2011 I think
    [​IMG]

Someone who owned it before me hand dated the tin to 2001
    [​IMG]

Old Codger, Rewster66 and Spillproof like this.
  9. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

My thoughts on the blend are it's darn near perfect, slow and cool burning. The subtlety of the beginning of the bowl will almost con you into thinking you're in for a mild smoke, but it builds in intensity and complexity in a way I have NEVER seen in any other pipe tobacco. In the end its super rich and a little spicy, with just enough nicotine to satisfy, too.....love the stuff!

Rewster66 and Spillproof like this.
  10. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Pictures from when I opened the tin:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The leaf is so rich and oily, it actually penetrated the wax paper over the course of at least a decade...
    And, there are some small clusters of sugar crystals throughout, too, though they're tough to catch on my camera

11. ruffinogold

Being I'm near the end .... should the word go out for whomever is next up ? Basicly , who's next ... so I can start plotting :ngty:

nesta and Spillproof like this.
  12. ruffinogold

Kinfisher is the most Elegante badass blend ! It's lovely . Ok , it's Giada de Laurentiis in Fishnets , a whip and a determined look in her eyes <sigh >

Old Codger, Rewster66, nesta and 2 others like this.
  13. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

HAHA I love your Giada analogies

nesta and ruffinogold like this.
  14. ruffinogold

This is the Blend #5 . It smells and looks so good , I could almost eat it :) I'll give it a go in a little while

[​IMG]

15. ruffinogold

So ... is there a list of people wanting in on this thread or do I have to go pulling teeth ?!

Rewster66 likes this.
  16. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

I guess I'll give it a go, if no one else is in line.

Rewster66, nesta and Spillproof like this.
  17. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

I'm too lazy to scroll back and look but I know that Nesta had to recruit you.
    Maybe shoot off a couple of PM's to your cronies and ask 'em to participate?

EDIT: oops, Southbound is in.

Rewster66 and ruffinogold like this.
  18. Imrandy

Imrandy Member

I would be game for a go also

Spillproof and nesta like this.
  19. UnarmedCrayon

UnarmedCrayon Member

I really like the pipe in that pic Ruff. I like the grain a lot. what is it?

ruffinogold likes this.
  20. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Hey you. Smoke the samples I sent ya already! Has it been a month? Duuuuude.

Rewster66 and N3M0 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.