1. Unique, Original Reviews Only

Please do not post reviews from other websites. Reviews found posted on other sites will be deleted.
    Dismiss Notice

Blind Review Thread II

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco Reviews' started by woody, May 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

Firing up another bowl of 6A right now... wish me luck!

2. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

I'm really trying to find something to like about 6A, but it is mostly a fruitless task. Sometimes I get a faint taste of Virginia, sometimes nothing but smokiness, and sometimes a flavor like tires burning. I tried it in my Airograte this time, one of my coolest-smoking pipes, and it did not seem to help much. If there is perique in it, that could account for the burning tire flavor; perique and I evidently don't get along well. I can barely handle Orlik Golden Slices, which arguably has almost no perique in it. The only way I can see this being related to 6B is if 6B is the same blend with no perique. And if there's no perique in the first place, then I am totally stumped.

Spillproof, dBear and Atom like this.
  3. Atom

Atom Member

Both Sample #6A and Sample #6B are Sir Walter Raleigh. A very simple Burley that could be argued borders on the edge of boring. You get what you get, it is what it is. But why the need for separation?

Sample #6A was made by Brown and Williamson. The SWR name has been around for a long time, at least since 1925, when Brown and Williamson bought a tobacco company that held the trademark for Sir Walter Raleigh. I find this version to be the most basic and simple tobacco flavor. B&W doesnt make SWR anymore, so finding a pouch or tub made by them in stock or still on the shelves would be a rare event.

Sample #6B is made by Lane/Scandinavian Tobacco Group. While still basic and simple, this version to me has typical Burley flavors with an addition of something like oatmeal topped with a spoonful of brown sugar. Obviously from your reviews this version is at least the more tolerable of the two.

I'm glad you took on the Blind Review, even if there were some tobaccos that didn't agree with you. You were honest about your experiences and didn't try to mince words. You presented your point of view very clearly. Hopefully there were a few high spots of smoking enjoyment, and the process wasn't too much of a chore. Thank you Tom for being a part of the Blind Review.

Spillproof, User4408, dBear and 3 others like this.
  4. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

That was SWR?! That was nothing like I would have expected... at all! I don't know what it is about the first one, but it just does not agree with me. I'm happy that there was no perique in it though.

Thank you, Atom, for letting me take part in the Blind Reviews, for remembering me when I myself forgot about it.

5. dBear

dBear Active Member

Wow, well done to both Tom and Atom. What an interesting revelation on how a tobacco blend can change when it's made by different manufacturers. Reminds me of JimInks EGR and of the different iterations of Three Nuns. Great choice, Atom, and a great review Smokey!

Atom, psquared and User4408 like this.
  6. CptBeefheart

CptBeefheart Member

So who's the next blind reviewer? This spectator is ready for more! This is probably my favorite thread to read on the whole forum. Not to be pushy, but ya know, just wondering.

7. JRobert

JRobert Hermit Forum Guide

You spectate, you must participate! I will send you samples if no one else volunteers... (-{

psquared, Spillproof and User4408 like this.
  8. dbt13

dbt13 Active Member

I'm ok to send samples too. I also had a lot of fun participating and would love to do it again in the future.

9. CptBeefheart

CptBeefheart Member

I've only been smoking a pipe since August. I have tried a good amount of blends thanks to the generosity of the board members here, but I'd prefer to spectate for a while longer. I would love to do this in the future, though.

10. michiganlover

michiganlover Active Member

I would be interested in getting in on this.

Jan 1st will mark my one year anniversary as a pipe smoker. I mostly smoke corn cob pipes, but have 3-4 briars as well. I'm a daily pipe smoker of 1-2 bowls a day.

I've sampled quite a bit in the last year: lots of OTC blends, lots of Dunhill, some Lane, some Sutliff, some Smoker's Pride, some Super Value, a few blends from Paul's Pipe Shop, and a couple of the Frog Mortons.

My currently open tins are Dunhill Standard Mixture, Half and Half, and Captain Black White.

On backup I have Granger, Smoker's Pride Cherry Cavendish, Super Value Vanilla, Lane 1Q, H and H Classic Burley Cake, Dunhill Elizabethan Blend, Dunhill Early Morning Pipe, Carter Hall, Captain Black Dark, and Middleton's Cherry Blend.

Spillproof and dBear like this.
  11. JRobert

Sorry I haven't been back to this thread for a while -- if dbt13 wants to send samples that would be great; if not I will send you some after the holidays. I don't feel brave enough to go to the post office before January. I still have your address if you haven't moved since I sent you samples.

psquared likes this.
  12. dbt13

dbt13 Active Member

Sorry, I missed this too. Pm me yor address and I'll get some samples to you!

CptBeefheart and JRobert like this.
  13. michiganlover

Sweet!! Thanks so much for sending the samples! I pmed you with my address. :)

This is going to be a ton of fun!!

JRobert and CptBeefheart like this.
  14. dbt13

dbt13 Active Member

Samples are on their way!

psquared likes this.
  15. CptBeefheart

CptBeefheart Member

16. JRobert

17. michiganlover

Samples are here. :) I'm looking to start the fun after I come back from Christmas Vacation on Jan 3rd.

Sampling new tobaccos while sitting outside in the cold is not my idea of fun.

psquared, dBear and Spillproof like this.
  18. michiganlover

So I have 7 samples as part of this challenge. I am going to start my adventures with #3, which I have been warned has quite the nicotine punch, and shouldn't be smoked on an empty stomach.

The tobacco presents itself in plug/ cake form, and has a mild latakia smell in the bag.

I'll be smoking this in my MM Legend Corn Cob pipe.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
    dBear, Yossarian and JRobert like this.
  19. dbt13

dbt13 Active Member

Sweeettt! Looking forward to your thoughts!

20. jwh891

jwh891 Active Member

This thread is awesome! How come I am just now learning about it?!?!?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.