1. Unique, Original Reviews Only

Please do not post reviews from other websites. Reviews found posted on other sites will be deleted.
    Dismiss Notice

Blind Review Thread

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco Reviews' started by cigarsarge, Aug 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

:popc:

2. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

Nice review once again Scottly! You seem to pick up spiciness the same as I do in most blends. No doubt coming from the types of Virginias.

McClelland's Deep Hollow.
    I don't get the Lat hit that you do out of this blend but I do get the spice and you have to watch your cadence with this stuff, but I love it. Nice job!!! Ray

3. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Good job, again, Scott! I was thinking it might be something from McClelland based on the description, and if I hadn't seen your picture I would have guessed Frog Morton, but that's more uniformly black, as I recall. Haven't tried Deep Hollow, but maybe sometime I'll give it a shot. Sounds intriguing. :appl:

4. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

:gjob:
    Well done, Scottly! Sounds like, even though you
    don't like some of the blends, it's still challenging
    you to rely on your senses vs. tin description.

5. Scottly

Scottly Member

Well thanks guys. Doing just 3 of these so far has made me very aware of 2 things. First is why do I think latkia is present when its not. :msty: I have to get to the bottom that. Is it that I'm a LatkiaPhob? :eek: My first experience with Lat was a few years ago during my ciggy/pipe back and forth deal.:confused: I bought some Nightcap and loaded it up in my favorite MM Legend with oh so HigH expectations:rolleyes: I threw my cob away after 3 or 4 puffs. I dont remember what happened to the Night :poop:

The problem maybe simply be my somewhat limited types of blends I have tried. Mainly Burley and VA for me. Tried 15 Aromatics or so.

The other thing bugging me is it was very hard to come up with descriptors of this blend. I think if I smoked these blends, ya know more than 1 bowl I would notice more and more stuff probably but hey thats no secret :byg: It occurs to me also that I did smoke this in the pipe I used for #1 a Lat blend, ghost maybe.
    Its definately FUN doing this

6. Snake

Don't worry about being a Latiphobe, Scottly.
    I didn't like it for the longest time. Now, I like
    it every once in a while (more in the winter).
    It did help that I really like RRR, and that blend
    transitioned me into liking lat blends more than
    I used to. FWIW

dp

7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Scottly , youre nailing it . Rewster sent ya some different stuff ... plus that yucky McCll stuff . Youre a trooper

Rewster66 likes this.
  8. Tortuga

Tortuga Member

Howdy, I'm new here. I've got to say, this thread is awesome. I've got a long list of new tobacco to try now. It's really nice to read reviews stating exactly what the reviewer is experiencing with the tobacco, not the usual reviews I see that say, "Well it tastes like X tobacco with a little hint of Y tobacco, I like/ don't like it."

Very helpful for us beginners.

Rewster66 likes this.
  9. Scottly

Scottly Member

Sample #4 will be posted this afternoon, and possibly the Bonus blend this evening. Stay tuned.:) Need to round up the next Contestant.

10. Snake

Who should be next........ CIGARSARGE!!!

11. Scottly

Scottly Member

[​IMG]

Sample Blend # 4
    Appearance; medium to very dark brown, 2 colors is all there is to this one.
    Pouch note; A-1 steak sauce
    Moisture; perfect
    Cut; looks to me like it has been a flake ruffed up by a Rooster.
    I rubbed it out just a little more and loaded it into a La Rocca Donna, fill tamp lightly fill tamp and then sprinkle some fines on top.

Gave it a char, smoothed it out and fire in the hole. It expanded a little so I tamped it gently and lit up again.
    Ummmm Virginia, me likey a lot. This is good stuff.
    Flavor is deep and tangy, not to tangy but its there. Cool smoking, and the nicotine is just right-medium +.

Relight required a little more frequently than with say CH, but this the case with most VA flakes I smoke. Its probably my method.

This tobacco is just a little deeper and stronger than PS LTF. The flavor is really coming through mid bowl with maybe just a hint of spice, No Bite detected this far.
    I am smoking my second bowl of this as I write this. Had the first 2 or 3 hours ago. Just stepped outside into 39* sunny blue sky day to see how it tastes pulling that cool air through the pipe. It tasted Good, real good.

Flavor seems to have peaked just past the 2/3’s mark and has now mellowed out into a good and sweet VA flavor most of us Love
    I keep pausing just to savor this stuff, big grin on my face. This is a must have some of around all the time blend for me, I hope its available.

This is a really good Va with some Perique I would say. Very satisfying indeed. Rewster most have know I would like this blend based on his very generous sample, I thank you Sir.
    I can’t say enough about this blend, its dark and deep and musty and earthy and spicy and sweet. Very well behaved with no bite or gurgle.
    Snorking this blend is awesome.

I’m going to venture a guess--PS LNF, if not than maybe Rattrays Marlin Flake.
    Smoked all the way to the bottom with just a little dottle. A real pleasure to smoke!

ruffinogold likes this.
  12. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

Awesome Job Sir Scottly!!!

You are very close with the guess and right on with the descriptions of flavor, aroma, burn, and the overall review.

McClelland Christmas Cheer 1999

This is available but a bit hard to find. In my opinion it is a classic. :th1:

13. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Wow! Nice give, Ray! Not many people get to sample 99 CC these days. That is supposed to be a classic, and 12 more years of age couldn't hurt it either. Well done, Scottly. Enjoy the rest of that sample. (I guessed Rattray's too; they share a lot in common with McClelland, though).

Rewster66 likes this.
  14. Scottly

Scottly Member

Well I found some but at $45.00:eek: a 100g. tin I may not want it that bad.

Rewster66 likes this.
  15. Snake

Nicely done, Scottly! I would have guessed McC
    based on the bag note alone, but wouldn't have
    ventured to say it was the vintage CC. Enjoy!

16. Scottly

Scottly Member

I wondered if it was McC. stuff when I smelled the A-1 I've heard several mention the ketchup and Heinz smell with this brand but I had not smoked any of there stuff till now. On the up side, not that there was a down side, but I ordered 100g. of 2011 Christmas Cheer and 100g. of Blackwoods Flake today cause of this review;)

Kiowapipe likes this.
  17. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

Hi Scottly! Great Job on the reviews! Sorry I missed posting on your other, but I read through them and they were great! Here's your Standing Ovation!
    :gjob: :gjob::gjob::gjob: :gjob: :gjob::gjob::gjob::gjob::gjob::gjob::gjob: :gjob:

Snake likes this.
  18. cigarsarge

cigarsarge Active Member

Give me a bit longer...Still not quite up to snuff. I am eagerly looking forward to doing it.

19. ruffinogoldswife

Hope you're feeling well soon, Cigarsarge. Looking forward to seeing this thread meet it's maker and continue beyond.:D

20. ruffinogoldswife

We still have to find someone to follow Scottly, so anyone interested chime in. It's a lot of fun and really makes you think about what you're smoking in a whole new way.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.