1. Unique, Original Reviews Only

Please do not post reviews from other websites. Reviews found posted on other sites will be deleted.
    Dismiss Notice

Blind Review Thread

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco Reviews' started by cigarsarge, Aug 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scottly

Scottly Member

[​IMG]

Bonus sample review
    I’m probably way off on this one, but here goes anyway.
    Appearance; 3 distinct colors in this blend, light brown, dark brown and black.
    Cut; ribbon except the black leaf. Its longer and thicker.
    Pouch note; coffee and latkia.

I loaded 2 big pinches into that Wenhall, gently tamped each one in.
    I gotta admit I was a little hesitant to light her up, Lat fear ya know.
    Give it the char and tried not to taste it. Smoothed it out and lit her up. Boom that has to be latkia right I’m thinking to myself.

Two things came to mind regarding the flavor I was tasting. Before I throw this out there remember Your Mileage may Vary and probably Will.

Around here we have Walnut trees, I think the species is Black Walnut to be exact In the early fall when the walnuts fall from the tree, they have a green skin on them. They will a few months time turn black and the skin will become thin and then dry up.
    When they are green they have a very distinct smell. It a good smell. Many of you country folk will know just the smell I’m talking about.
    This smell is the taste I was getting off this bonus blend. The other thing that came to mind was ---Talcum Powder! I know that’s an odd one but that’s what I got!
    This blend pulled me in the more I smoked it. Different stuff for me but not bad. Seemed it could maybe bite a little if pushed to hard. I did puff it pretty good though with no bite. It progressed into a little more subdued version at ½ way or so.
    This blend was very well mannered, required only 1 tamp and I don’t think I had to relight it at all.

She smoked down clean, and I noticed the smoke looked a little blue, but that could have been the overcast sky. I smoked this outside in 45* temp.
    Please don’t let this be Mixture 79 or something crazy, cause I kind of liked it.

I think this must be Frog Morton or close to it. I think it was a beginner Lat Blend.
    This fulfills my obligation with regard to the Blind Review. This was very fun and enlightening and TAD enabling. I’m anxious to watch somebody describe blends that are not a mystery to me.

2. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

Scottly, you described something in this blend that I have been trying to figure out for sometime now. When you said it smelled like Black Walnuts after they have fallen from the tree and the skin dried up, I thought, WOW that is the perfect description. I also understand the "talcum powder" comment, as it does have a distinct mustiness to it. Great Job!!!
    This is something that I threw together myself and have been smoking it for about 2 years and I made another batch of it about 8 months ago that has been jarred up until just recently.
    Yang is the only other one to try this other than you and I. I call it;

Baboon's Breath.:)

Baboon's Breath - Hand blended by the one and only = Le' Rewstier De' Seexdeseex!
    A very elegent and elaborate blend consisting of top secret portions of Star Of The East Flake, Boswell's Paradise, Proper English, Boswell's Northwoods, Ramsback Gold, and Carter Hall. I know - it sounds awesome right?;)

ruffinogoldswife and Scottly like this.
  3. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Congrats, Scottly for making it through your
    inaugural blind review! Well done, sir.

Rewster66 likes this.
  4. Scottly

Scottly Member

Well by golly

5. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Congratulations, Scottly! Very well done. I knew you would be a natural at this!

6. Gary

Gary Member

<==== skeered...nah...clueless, yeah, that's it. I need to finish the other 20 pages of this thread!

7. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Great job Scottly:gjob: , and you didn't think you had it in you! Nice reviews, I hope you learned something about your tastes in tobacco, and I can't wait to see what you have in store for Gary!

8. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

Ditto Scottly, wonderful job. After you smoke some more of the Baboon's Breath let me know what you think about it. If you like it, I can hook you up with more if you want. God Bless!!! Ray

9. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

And bro, you are killing me by tantalizing me with my old friend the Wenhall. That is a really good pipe. ;)

10. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

Great Job, Scottly!!!:gjob::gjob::gjob::gjob::gjob::gjob::gjob::gjob::gjob::gjob::gjob::gjob::gjob::gjob::gjob::gjob:

I never in my wildest dreams thought this was a sentence I would think, write, mumble or stutter. "Rewster, I want Babbons Breath".
    :xd: :haha::laff:

No really, sometime, I would to love to try it.:D

11. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

That is not a problem Jen, just PM me your address so I won't have to hunt it up and I can send you some. Tell my buddy John I said howdy. He is such a great guy. :)

12. Scottly

Scottly Member

I want to Thank you Ray. You challenged me in a real good way with your baccy choices:thu2: This thread has been so very interesting since cigarsargse started it. Its really cool to take part in it. I am not at a level yet to really rate something on a scale, instead I tried to just describe the experience. Hopefully I was able to do that.

I would definately be interested in doing it again down the road. I'm amazed I was able to finish a bowl of latkia. To be fair to a blend you got to smoke it to know it and taste it. Not knowing what a blend is and just loading up and smoking it is very interesting to saythe least;) Blends are going to delvelop and change, get more intense, go the other way and mellow. That Baboons breath :confused: just got better as I smoked it :eek: And now I'm kinda craving some more of it:D
    I'm anxious for Gary to review my samples:ngty: :msty: what they are:whis:

dwaugh, Gary and Kiowapipe like this.
  13. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

Scottly, PM me your address, (it will save me from having to find it), and I will send you some more of the "Baboon's Breath". ;)

14. Scottly

Scottly Member

Let me smoke what I have left first and see what happens:)Thanks for the offer,:th1:

15. Scottly

Scottly Member

Ya know I would like to hear what some others think of your B.B :sh: I think it just might be a Hit

16. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

You and Yang both liked it, and I like it. I will be glad to send samples to anyone that wants it, that is until I run out.;)

17. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Gee, you act like that's a recommendation.........:p:

18. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

I don't know whether to laugh:xd:, or be mad:mad:, over that remark.:confused:

19. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

I'm :haha:ing

20. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

You will laugh when G.L. Pease starts selling it for $12.99 per oz. :p:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.