Borkum Rhiff dry as a bone...

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by davidmackv, Jul 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

bought some BR tonight with Kentucky Whiskey flavor. When I opened the package the stuff was dry enough to start a wild fire, is that normal?

2. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

That's the first positive review of Borkum Riff that I've read. Cheers for looking on the bright side, David. :xd:

davidmackv and nesta like this.
  3. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

LOL, I'm just buying little pouches of everything just to give it a go. My tobacco shop is 30 miles away, so i have been buying some OTC to try out. I bought BR, CH and CB Gold today. I'm ready to run to the pipe shop and buy some real blends.

4. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

It had likely been sitting on a shelf for years. Most smokers mean-mouth BR and I must admit it is not as good as when it was first introduced in America back in the early 70's. However, I still think it's better than a lot of OTC blends that are highly praised by other smokers.

5. mtsgsd

mtsgsd Active Member

LOL I picked up a pouch of that very thing at the grocery store a few months ago. I knew better, but I had a fit of nostalgia. It crumbled to teeny tiny little pieces in my fingers just removing it from the pouch! Well, I did know better after all.:xd:

6. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Here is a simple to follow set of instructions to make this more enjoyable. Take the Borkum, and sprinkle a few drops of distilled water into the pouch, or cut a few potato slices into it. Then throw it away and load a bowl of the Captain Black. Light, tamp, and enjoy.

WillH likes this.
  7. WillH

WillH Active Member

Gawd, I tried Borkum-Rhiff twice! There won't be a third! I'm not sure it's actually tobacco? :haha:

Will

8. jhe888

jhe888 Member

You could re-hydrate it by sprinkling a little water in there. But, as you have learned, most would ask you why. I haven't smoked any since 1980 or so, so I can't say what it is like now. I remember it being okay then, but it was so long ago.

9. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Most pipesmokers I know dis BR pretty hard but it must have a fair number of devotees if it's still around after all this time. I personally have never smoked it and don't intend on doing so, but you bought it so you may as well try it.

Rehydrate by moistening a towel and placing it over a bowl filled with the tobacco (not a pipe bowl - a cereal or tupperware bowl, etc). Don't let the towel touch the tobacco. Check it until it's the moisture level you prefer.

10. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

Thanks for all the laughs everyone. This will be my last purchase of BR. I could have smoked better tobacco if I picked up the scraps in the stripping room.

11. Mbalta

Mbalta Member

Hi David, I openned recently a pouch of Borkum Riff Original, and it was quite moist. Actually it didn't really matter because, and from the few brands I already smoked, the tobacco is bad...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.