Bought a new tin of Toby.

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Beale, May 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beale

Beale Active Member

So I did not need it? Heck I got plenty. I was at my JR's and looking at the tins. I got some Dunhill My Mixture 965.

Now I went to TR and saw a lot of different reactions? I could have gotten Balkan Sasieni cheaper. I read better reviews?

Question what are you thoughts on 964. Should I keep is and give it a go, Beale.

2. Marc

Marc Active Member

Beale, take tobacco reviews with a grain of salt, try it, you may really, really like it! I smoked a tin of 965 just last month and although I am not a Latakia fan, I thought the Orlick blended version was actually better than the old Dunhill blended blended version I had smoked a couple of years ago. It is a finely crafted blend and well constructed.

Beale likes this.
  3. Zfog

Zfog Member

I would keep it, I thouroughly enjoy MM 965 on occasion. Good stuff!~

Beale likes this.
  4. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Give it a try. 965 is an old-school English blend, a solidly good smoke, and it's been around for quite some time. I like it, but then again I lean toward well-behaved and conservative smokes.

The real joy of pipe smoking is in trying new tobies for yourself. Give it a fair hearing, and smoke at least half the tin at different times of the day, in different pipes, and paired with different beverages - then pass judgment on it. It's doesn't much matter if I like it or others dislike it, what matters is if you like it.

Just be sure to dedicate a pipe to English/Balkan blends, since Latakia is notorious for haunting pipes. It would be a shame if you didn't like it and it cursed your pipe.

Ol Brokedik, Iain and Beale like this.
  5. Beale

Beale Active Member

Thanks guys! That was my thinking also. I just wanted to see If I was ok? I love trying new blends. I had just packed my last bowl of EMP. I enjoyed it so why not? Beale.

6. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Beale, I wouldn't keep it if I was you. I'm sure the negative reviewers were right on the mark. I understand your concerns about it possibly tasting nasty and leaving a horrid ghost in your pipe. If you want, you can send it to me and I'll just burn it for you. We're allowed to dispose of stuff like that in Texas. :rolleyes:

Beale likes this.
  7. Jay

Jay Active Member

If you don't like it, give it to someone else who may.

Congratulations on buying a tin though.

8. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

One thing to consider is that if a toby is rated a 1-star by some, 2-star by others, 3-star by still yet some others, and even 4 stars by another group all rating the same blend, then that tellsya this toby can and may be one of those that is a "love it or hate it" leaf. Or the 1-star raters really didn't know what they were talking about or how to get the most from that blend. They smoke 1 bowl and then they be "expurtz" :haha:

If you read closely, some of the raters obviously don't even know how to smoke that particular blend or just picked up the pipe recently and still are complaining about a toby scorching their tongue when it was their fault for burnin' too hot.............so with a grain of salt for sure. Now otoh, if a toby is rated say, 300 times and 254 are 3 and 4 star reviews, you can bet you'd probably like it too if it's a blend of leaf you normally go for.

It's quality leaf, quality blending, and quality smoke. Enjoy!

:wiz:
    Ed
    Puff

Beale likes this.
  9. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

It's a classic blend ! I havent had the new version but it seems well received . If you like English style blends , it's one of the more popular ones for a reason . Pop her open and enjoy !

10. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

...and you still can. Just keep it on your list and try it in the future. You have had good luck with EMP, so why not try another Dunhill? I say keep the 965.

While I have certain blends that I tend to favor, I still smoke other blends. I figure that it's like Letterman used to say about Stupid Pet Tricks: it's an exhibition, not a competition. Please, no wagering.

Beale likes this.
  11. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

Just smoke it. 965 is a Scottish blend in that it contains a high degree of cavendish, therefore not a true English. That doesn't mean it's a bad tobacco, I like it.

12. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

I like 965. I'd say you did well buying a tin. It's one of those blends that's so classic it becomes a benchmark; something every pipe smoker should try if they're to have a well-rounded education :)

13. BradNTX

What's up Beale? Have you smoked it yet?

14. Duke

Duke Member

I find MM 965 balanced for my taste, whereas, Balkan Sasieni to be heavy in the Latakia tobacco. I can smoke MM 965 all day and never tire. Like most Dunhill's, it has substantial strength. It's something I've smoked regularly since 1976.

Beale likes this.
  15. Beale

Beale Active Member

I thought I had it in my caddy with me this AM. I take water arobics for my leg and arm. Instead I had grabed the wrong tin? So I smoked the sample of SL. I do not smoke in my home with the AC on. Here today it is around 95 or so. So no deck. I am afraid it may be Friday before I try it. I hav a Dr Apt tommorow, Beale.

16. BradNTX

Well, how did you like the SL?

17. Beale

Beale Active Member

The Sl was very good! I would not pay what they want for it, but a very even and tasty smoke! Beale.

18. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

I agree with all that's been said here. Yes, dedicate a pipe to latakia blends if you can. I won't smoke my 965 untill it's been on my shelf for at least one year. Even then, I'll open a tin and let it rest for several months before I smoke it.

OLB.

19. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

No need to justify here..... We all have TAD in some form or another.....

20. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

For English-type blends, I prefer a smaller pipe. I like Latakia, but in moderation. Someone once told me they thought it was a "Lat Bomb," but I've never thought so. It's an old-school English blend, and I've never thought they got heavy on the Lat. I've got three pipes that I've dedicated to English blends: A Savenelli Omm Paul (not cheap,), a Comoy Guild Hall (a good pipe that I bought cheap at an estate shop), and a no-name Italian-made Rhodesian that I found in a pipe shop basket for about $20. (Ironically, the $20 el-cheapo is the best smoking pipe out of the three). The Saveneli and Comoy like just about any English-type blend I've smoked in them, but the Italian shows a distinct preference for Peterson's Old Dublin. Why? Who knows, but I don't think it's all in my head since there is nothing special about the Italian or any of the other pipes that I've dedicated. Maybe it has to do with the chemistry between the baccy, briar, and cake that's built up on the inside of the bowls.

So, Beale, dedicating a pipe need not be an expensive prospect and it yields a whole lot of enjoyment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.