1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Bought my first "decent" pipe tonight

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Bahnzo, Jan 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bahnzo

Bahnzo Member

Got my tracking # from Grandi and plugged it in just to have a look....

This caught my eye: Weight 23.9 lbs/10.8 kg

Pretty sure I just bought one pipe, how in the world can one pipe weigh 23.9 lbs total shipping?

2. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Oh, you didn't say you'd ordered a uranium pipe. That should be interesting.

3. Bahnzo

Bahnzo Member

Arrived this morning. Looks pretty good. No fills or pits that I can find anywhere and the stem fits perfectly. Haven't smoked it yet, but I'll load up a 1/2 bowl with some PA after lunch and see what's what.

Some pics....
    Pic1
    Pic2
    Pic3
    Pic4

4. Bahnzo

Bahnzo Member

Ok, I had my inaugural smoke and have to say my initial impression is pretty good. But then, it's my first "good" pipe and chances are unless it was a total turd I'd like it, right?

What impresses me the most is the comfort of the pipe and the stem in particular. From reading reviews it seemed the overall knock on the Mario Grandi pipes were their stems, but that's certainly not the case in the one I got. For starters, the tenon fits the mortise just right...it comes on and off with ease, yet forms a good seal. I can put my palm over the chamber and when drawing on the pipe, there is no leakage anywhere. It is also very comfortable and fits very well in my teeth. For whatever reason, it's size and shape are just about perfect for me and it's very pleasing.

The pipe itself fits well in my hand and smokes very well. Being new, I still have a tendency to smoke a little hot, but this baby never become more than lukewarm at best and a 1/2 a bowl of PA lasted me a good 90 minutes before it was time to empty it out. Very enjoyable to the point that I don't even want to smoke any of my other pipes at this point.

So overall, I would definitely recommend that anyone considering a Mario Grandi go ahead an pull the trigger on one. It's a great pipe for the price. I still have my eye on that Peterson (or one like it) that I posted about a few replies back, but I fully intend on owning another Grandi at some time in the future.

5. giannilibrizzi

giannilibrizzi Member

I've been wanting to pull the trigger on a Mario Grandi for awhile.....heard good things about them!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.